“Need ear plugs and improved service”
Review of Hilton Sandton

Hilton Sandton
Ranked #13 of 47 Hotels in Sandton
Reviewed August 24, 2013

Stayed at the Hilton Sandton overnight in August 2013, attended a function on site.

Check in was very efficient and staff very helpful. The airport runs a free shuttle service from the nearby Gautrain station which was very good.

My room was however not sound-proofed and cleaning staff outside were exceptionally noisy.
The room was also not fully made up on check in, but it was neat so I did not complain (pillows were not stacked on bed and only one has a pillow casing).

The lady taking room service orders was more interested in other conversations, and got my order partly wrong. the pricing of cold drinks is a scandal.

My other main problem was with the check out queue the next morning, this was unacceptably long and the worst I've experienced in all my travels. The lady at the check out counter was exceptionally rude to another current guest who had just wanted to ask one question (if I were that guest, I would have laid a formal complaint)

The gentleman who finally checked me out gave me the impression that he did not sleep all night --- or perhaps this is the attitude of business in Gauteng these days...

A major disappointment on the whole.

It's a otherwise a beautiful and well-maintained hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a QUIET room, or carry ear-plugs with.
1  Thank Chrissie_TA
Heidi K, Manager at Hilton Sandton, responded to this reviewResponded August 28, 2013

Dear Chrissie_TA,

Thank you for choosing to stay at the Hilton Sandton and for sharing your valuable feedback with us. We greatly appreciate any comments made by you, and this time with regards to the amazing stay you had with us in particular.

Hilton prides itself with guests like you having the feeling of being at home while away from home and the family. Our main aim being guest satisfaction and quality delivery, we do take our guests and their wellbeing very seriously and always hope to meet and exceed our guests expectations.

Ms Chrissie_TA, I see and understand that you had a disappointing stay with us. I do sincerely apologize that your bed was not made up with the pillows, and for the noise that you experienced outside your room. Please be assured that this was discussed with our Room Service Executive and her team, to prevent any reoccurrence as well as with our Security Manager to have our guards sensitized more when patrolling the floors.

I do apologize that your order from room service was not to your specification, and that your checkout was so unpleasant. I would like to thank you for your constructive feedback, and therefore giving us the chance of improving on our areas of concern. Please be assured that the same was shared with all team members concerned in order to prevent any reoccurrence in the future.

Ms Chrissie_TA, we all are looking forward to welcoming you back again to the Hilton Sandton in the near future.

If I can be of any assistance for you in the meantime, please do contact me at any given time. It will be always a pleasure to assist.

HEIDI KLEINE MOELLER I Director of Operations

Write a ReviewReviews (1,428)

Reviewed August 20, 2013

I normally stay in the IHG hotels but this trip I stayed in the Hilton in Sandton. What a pleasant surprise. Everyone I came in contact with...hotel staff was awesome. The entire staff was friendly, professional and polite. The staff that cleaned my room knew my name and greeted me each time they saw me. The breakfast buffet was excellent and the servers were attentive to my needs. Overall, this was an excellent experience.

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts
Heidi K, Manager at Hilton Sandton, responded to this reviewResponded August 25, 2013

Dear Mr/Ms LMMutter

Hilton prides itself with guests like you having the feeling of being at home while away from home. Our main aim being guest satisfaction and quality delivery, we do take our guests and their wellbeing very seriously and always hope to meet and exceed our guests expectations.

Mr/Ms LMMutter, as this is your first time at the Hilton Sandton, we are delighted to see that you thoroughly enjoyed your time with us and I would like to thank you once more for bringing to our attention the great service you had received from our team members and it will be my absolute pleasure to share the same with the team accordingly. It is feedback like yours which always makes all efforts truly worthwhile.

We all are looking forward to welcoming you back again to the Hilton Sandton in the near future.

Reviewed August 19, 2013 via mobile

Just spent a night with my wife at the beginning of our vacation. We had a very nice stay with lovely staff, a great large room and a well managed executive room with access to very good free food and drinks. Breakfast was excellent. Basically everything you would expect from a high quality Hilton.

• Stayed: August 2013
Heidi K, Manager at Hilton Sandton, responded to this reviewResponded August 20, 2013

Dear Mr Laurent,

Thank you for choosing to stay at the Hilton Sandton and for sharing your valuable feedback with us. I hope you and your wife had an amazing holiday while in South Africa. We greatly appreciate the positive comments made by you.

Hilton prides itself with guests like you having the feeling of being at home while away from home and family. Our main aim being guest satisfaction and quality delivery, we do take our guests and their wellbeing very seriously and always hope to meet and exceed our guests expectations.

Mr Laurent, we are delighted to see that you thoroughly enjoyed your time with us and I would like to thank you once more for bringing to our attention the great service you had received from our team. We are glad to see that we met your expatiation. Feedback like yours always make all efforts truly worthwhile.

Reviewed August 18, 2013

Had a lovely stay at Hilton Sandton from the 8th to the 13th Aug. The team members treated us wonderful and a special thanks you to Gugu, the journey ambassador who is amazing. The breakfast team also is great, thank you to Martin the Chef, Gloria, Bheki, Jerald and the rest

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family

Ms Seychelles girls,

Thank you for staying at the Hilton Sandton and for sharing your valuable feedback with us. We greatly appreciate any comments made by you, and this time with regards to the amazing stay you had with us in particular.

Ms Seychelles girls, we are delighted to see that you thoroughly enjoyed your time with us and I would like to thank you once more for bringing to our attention the great service you had received from our team members and it will be my absolute pleasure to share the same with the team accordingly. It is feedback like yours which always makes all efforts truly worthwhile.

Reviewed August 18, 2013

Stayed here on business for 5 nights the hotel is 5min walk from Mandela Square or get a cab plenty sat outside hotel (worth speaking to drivers they will be your driver for the week if you negotiate a rate).

Rooms are spacious with air con and large shower.

From check out you have access to hotel gym area with showers lockers etc so handy if you have late flight and early check out.

They have sky sports (SA equivalent) in bar and a bar menu too so you can eat in bar pretty cheaply if need to. usual thing newspapers etc knocking about in communal areas too and WiFi.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business

Dear Mr/Ms RobLH76,

Thank you for choosing to stay at the Hilton Sandton and for sharing your valuable feedback with us. We greatly appreciate any comments made by you, especially when having had such pleasant stay as mentioned.

Mr/Ms RobLH76, thank you for staying with us for 5 nights and also for the positive comments you made with regards to our rooms and our facilities. We are delighted to see that you thoroughly enjoyed your time with us and I would like to thank you once more for bringing to our attention the great service you had received from our team members. It is feedback like yours which always make all efforts truly worthwhile.

While we all are looking forward to welcoming you back again to the Hilton Sandton soon again, please do contact me at any given time if we can be of any assistance for you. It will be always a pleasure to assist.

Reviewed August 18, 2013

the Hilton at Standton city is getting old and showing it. while the bar staff were helpful they made errors frequently in what was ordered and the Conceirge seems incapable of booking a hotel. The hotel is well located and secure, but areas like the pool (unheated) and gym (small, old and badly maintained) show that it is need of refurbishment.

Dear Mr Kristian S,

First of all I would like to thank you for choosing to stay at the Hilton Sandton and at the same time for sharing your valuable feedback with us. Hilton prides itself with guests like you having the feeling of being at home while away from home. Our main aim being guest satisfaction and quality delivery, we do take our guests and their wellbeing very seriously and always hope to meet our guests expectations.

Hence I highly appreciate your comments made regarding our bar and team members, and I would like to assure you that your feedback has been shared in the meantime in order to undertake corrective measures. You have my sincere apologies for any inconveniences caused.

With regards to our gym, I would like to inform you, that we are indeed looking at refurbishing our Fitness Centre in near future. Unfortunately I am not able to provide a year yet, but it has been under serious discussion. The pool is indeed not heated hence a bit cold to swim in the winter. However in the summer the poolside is beautiful, the garden is lush, swimming is pleasant and you can soak up the sun while reading a book.

Mr Kristian S, thank you very much once more for your response and comments. Feedback like yours always helps us to get closer to achieving our goals to continuesly deliver the most excellent service and experience.

Please be assured we all are looking forward to welcoming you back to the Hilton Sandton in sunny South Africa.

In the meantime, if I can be of any further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me at any given time. It will be always a pleasure to assist.

Reviewed August 10, 2013

This hotel was good but it have grown old. Stay at another hotel if you can. HHonors member or not you will not get any different or even good treatment (I was gold HHonors when I staid but that didn't help.

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts
Heidi K, Manager at Hilton Sandton, responded to this reviewResponded August 18, 2013

Dear Mr Anas H,

First of all I would like to thank you for choosing to stay at the Hilton Sandton during your recent visit to Johannesburg, and secondly thank you for sharing your valuable feedback with us. Our main aim being guest satisfaction and quality delivery, we do take our guests and their well being very seriously and always hope to meet and exceed our guests expectations.

Your comments regarding the age of our property, please be informed that we are working on a refurbishment soon to come, which includes most of our public areas.

When it comes to your feedback regarding your HHonors benefits, I would highly appreciate if you could provide us some further details in order for me to investigate the matter further. In the event of very high occupancies, we indeed might not always be able to provide all benefits (e.g. late check outs or an upgrade to the Executive Floor). However if this was the case during your recent stay with us, please let me know, when travel brings you back to Sandton and it will be my pleasure to personally look into your reservation.

Mr Anas H, please be assured we all are looking forward to welcoming you back to the Hilton Sandton in sunny South Africa one day again.

Yours sincerely,