“very good place”

Tel Aviv, Israel
“very good place”
Reviewed October 20, 2012

The hotel was great
Rooms are beautiful and comfortable.
Rich and tasty breakfast.
very good shuttle service.

The hotel was great
Rooms are beautiful and comfortable.
Rich and tasty breakfast.
very good shuttle service.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
hiltonnairobi, Manager at Hilton Sandton, responded to this review, October 24, 2012
Dear Mr/Ms. Oferkaspi,

Thank you very much for choosing to stay at the Hilton Sandton and for sharing your valuable feedback with us. We greatly appreciate any comments made by our guests and constantly strive to achieve the highest quality standards.

Hilton has always taken pride in ensuring that our guests have the feeling of it being a home away from home. Our main aim being guest satisfaction and quality delivery, we do take our guests and their well being very seriously and always hope to meet the guests expectations.

We are glad to note your overall satisfaction during your recent stay with us. Believe me, it is ratings such as yours that make all efforts truly worthwhile and it was our upmost pleasure to share your kind comments with the team.

Mr/Ms. Oferkaspi, we place great value on your custom, and your continued relationship with Hilton and look forward to welcoming you back to the Hilton Sandton and any of our Hilton Worldwide Hotels in the near future.

Director of Operations

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (149)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed October 17, 2012

I checked in last Oct 13, 2012 at 11:30 am and was told by the front desk that my hotel room is not yet available. I went on a city tour and came back very tired at the hotel at around 7:00 p.m. since I was on an early morning flight, which required me to get up at 3:15a.m. The front desk promptly gave me a key to my hotel room. However, when I got to my hotel room, I noted that it has not been cleaned. There were personal items from the previous room occupant that were still in the room, e.g. a pair of slippers, bottles of personal toiletries in the rest room, personal items in the closet, etc. I was given another room after about 15 minutes of waiting but in the new room I found other issues with the television and the internet connection. I had to call customer service to resolve the issues that I encountered. The person manning customer service who took my calls did not even sound apologetic. I requested to speak to the hotel manager and after about 30 minutes someone with a cheerful voice called me asking me if there is anything she could do to help. I enumerated to her the number of issues that I encountered in the hotel from the time I checked in and although she asked for an apology for the inconvenience that I had experienced, I felt that the apology she offered was not commensurate to the aggravation that I experienced. For me, Hilton Sandton's customer recovery procedure is very inferior compared to other 5 star hotels. Never again will I stay at the Hilton Sandton. There are many more hotels in the area that deserve my business.

Room Tip: Avoid the Hilton Sandton at all cost. Take your business to a hotel that would appreciate your busi...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
hiltonnairobi, Manager at Hilton Sandton, responded to this review, October 21, 2012
Dear Guest,

I noticed with great concern your various comments of being checked into room with items from a previous guest, having to wait for another 15 minutes for the next room to be available, and only to find the television and internet in the new room not working properly.

Dear Guest, you have my sincere apologies for all inconveniences caused, particularly as all of the above never should have happened in the first place. Please rest assured that all departments involved have been informed immediately and corrective measures have been taken in the meantime to prevent any reoccurrences.
When it comes to the attitude of the manager, who called you the same evening, not sounding too apologetic, you have indeed my apology if she might not have come across as expected by you, however I can assure you that it was only her best attend to listen to your situation and attentively assist where ever possible. Therefore I sincerely hope you enjoyed the amenity send to you and you had a nice evening whilst enjoying the complementary dinner offered by her.

Dear guest, I do understand your frustration and disappointment, however I can assure you, all your feedback has been taken very seriously and has been shared with our management and our teams. Therefore I would like to thank you once more for taking the time to your detailed and open feedback, it is only through comments such as yours that we continuously are able to improve our standards and service delivery.

We do place great value on your custom, and your patronage and therefore please be assured we all are looking forward to welcoming you back to the Hilton Sandton any time in the near future.

In the meantime, if I can be of any further assistance for you during the reminder of your stay, please do contact me at any given time.

Cullman, Alabama
Reviewed October 14, 2012

We only spent one night here on our arrival in South Africa. We stayed using points. The hotel was roughly a 20-25 minute drive from the airport. On a Saturday night we did not encounter any traffic. We had prearranged transportation through our travel agency which made things easy upon arrival after a very long flight from the US.

We were given room 136. It was clean with warm decorations. We did not notice any signs of wear or deterioration as mentioned in some previous reviews. We took a walk outside to admire the pool area, which gave the feeling of being in a tropical locale. We used the gym, very spacious and modern with cardio, weight machines and free weights. We called the front desk to request wi-fi and they gave us 24 hour complimentary access.

After 19 hours in the air, we were looking forward to enjoying a nice meal. Initially, we were going to opt for hibachi and sushi but after seeing their buffet, changed our minds. It was EXCELLENT! There were so many items to choose from and each was well prepared and delicious. The service was great with the smiling staff, asking how long we were in town, how we were, all very nice.

The Hilton Johannesburg was a nice start to our two-week vacation. We are glad we chose to stay here and would recommend it to anyone staying in the Johannesburg/Sandton area.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Dear Mr/Ms. Ifisgd746,

First of all, thank you very much indeed for choosing to stay at the Hilton Sandton and for sharing your valuable feedback with us.

Secondly, I hope your journey just continued the same way as it started in Johannesburg and in the meantime you arrived safely back home again.

We are very glad indeed to note your overall satisfaction during your recent stay with us and that all your expectations were met. It was our upmost pleasure to share your very kind comments with all our team members and management, believe me, it is ratings such as yours that make all efforts truly worthwhile.

Mr/Ms. Ifisgd746, we do place great value on your custom, and your continued patronage with us and please rest assured that we all are looking forward to welcoming you back to the Hilton Sandton one day again.

Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed October 10, 2012

The hotel is old but overall nice. It is in a very convenient place in Sandton. The rooms are big and clean. The breakfast is ok and the food is delicious in the a la carte restaurant. I suggest you try beef - of cource, you are in South Africa! When I first checked in, my room was not ready but they made it ready in a short period of time and welcomed me with soft drinks. The only major problem the hotel has is the concierge, unfortunately they are not capable of understanding and doing what you have told them and I have been left in very difficult situations where the bus should come and take me but did not and I was left alone in the middle of the night in Jo'burg! They took my e-mail and promised to come back to me but of course, no one came back that is why I think they are not different than any other average hotels.

Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
hiltonnairobi, Manager at Hilton Sandton, responded to this review, October 14, 2012
Dear Mr/Ms, Nkocak,

Indeed the hotel is 15 years old however I am pleased to see that you were overall satisfied with your spacious clean room and the quality of food in the restaurant.

I am delighted to see that your overall satisfied with your arrival, despite the fact that you had to wait a short while in the morning. To avoid any inconvenience in case of an early check in, we advise pre-registering from the night before as our official check in time is 14:00. I'm sure you can appreciate that as the vast majority of international flights arrive in Johannesburg early in the morning and depart in the evening.

Further to the service received from our concierge desk, I would highly appreciate if you could share further details with us, in order to be able to investigate this matter further. and to be put meassures into place to prevent a future reoccurrence.

I would like to thank you once more for taking the time to give us your detailed and open feedback as it is only through comments such as yours that we are able to continuoulsy improve our standards and service delivery.

Mr/Ms, Nkocak, we place great value on your custom, and your continued relationship with Hilton and look forward to welcoming you back to the Hilton Sandton in the near future.

London
Reviewed October 7, 2012

I like this hotel. There are probably more luxurious hotels in the Sandton area, but the Hilton is just about the right size to be able to recognize guests and offer good service from very nice people.
Everyone says hello, ask for something and it's done straightaway.
My room was comfortable and well equipped. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Dear Mr. Oldfatandtired,

We are glad to note your overall satisfaction during your recent stay with us. Believe me, it is ratings such as yours that make all efforts truly worthwhile. I am also delighted to see that the team made you feel welcome and at home.

Mr. Oldfatandtired, we place great value on your custom, and your continued relationship with Hilton and look forward to welcoming you back to the Hilton Sandton and any of our Hilton Worldwide Hotels in the near future.

Bellevue, Washington
Reviewed October 6, 2012 via mobile

We spent a glorious night at the Hilton hotel located in the business district (Sandton) in Johannesburg. We had just enjoyed a four day safari and decided to spend one night in Johburg before our long journey home. The hotel is clearly well run as their service is paramount. From the concierge staff to our cheerful breakfast waiter (Sam) we were met with efficiency and delightful service. Our room was beautiful as was the large shower and lovely amenities .
The elegant lobby and well run business center adds a level of class to this already lovely property.The breakfast buffet ( about $25 per person) was outstanding and totally worth the price. The choices were not only plentiful but delicious.
Once again, we are happy to be HiltonHonor members and we were totally impressed with this location. Thank you.

• Stayed September 2012
1 Thank Bliss62
Dear Mr/Ms Bliss62,

We all aver very pleased to see that your expectations of a Hilton hotel were met with the efficiency and delightful service from our team. Indeed Hilton Sandton makes a mark to stand out and provide the immaculate standards that we proudly carry.

Mr/Ms Bliss62, we place great value on your custom, and your continued patronage and we all look forward to welcoming you back to the Hilton Sandton and any of our Hilton Worldwide Hotels in the near future.

In the meantime, if I can be of any assistance, please do contact me at any given time.

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed October 5, 2012

The Hilton Sandton is a nice hotel in a great location in Johannesburg. Perfect for business travellers as the majority of businesses are conducted in the Sandton area.

The good stuff:
The breakfast was fantastic and highly reccomended. The choice was very good and the staff were very attentive and wonderful.
The staff in general were very helpful and the housekeeping service was definitely as expected.
A really nice lounge for catching up on news and a few drinks at the end of the day.
Rooms were nice, nothing special but definitely comfortable.

The not so good stuff:
The check in was a little difficult but this was more the company travel agent not getting the dates quite right. However there were further issues after confirming my length of stay and I had to ring a few times to correct this however great credit to the staff who made it so I didnt have to change rooms, they resolved it really easily.
Took two hours for the luggage to delivered to the room. After coming off a 24 our flight this is too long and for a business grade hotel this should be better.
The movie system has plenty of choice but it is horribly slow. Needs to be looked into.
Yes it is dated. I understand that there are renovations and upgrades underway but it is certainly looking its age. I am little biased though after staying in really modern hotels throughout Asia.
Gym was disappointing. The TV was fuzzy and there was only one and it didnt face any of the right equipment. This area really needs a makeover and being a regaulr Hilton customer I expected a lot better actually.
The rooms, well at least the one I had, has a shared door. I could hear everything from the other guest, which was a bit annoying. I suggest that during the upgrade these get removed as it really intrudes on privacy and security in my mind.
The internet in the room....well this is actually really bad. You have to pay separately for extra devices and frankly in this day and age should be included. Especially if you want to remain competitive. The cable was barely connected to the wall and I had to play with it to get it to work. I got charged double after poor instructions about how to set it up. I have heard that because it is an external provider the hotel does not have much say in improving the service but thats not an excuse to me these days For a business hotel it was not up to standard.

Would stay again as overall it is a comfortable hotel with excellent staff but facilities are lacking and needs further updating. I would wait until maybe the renovations are finished and I am sure it will be back to the quality Hilton standard.

Room Tip: Avoid a shared door room as it can be noisy from other guests.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Dear Mr. RGroags

I am delighted to see that you were overall satisfied with your breakfast experience, the service received from the team and the hotel being comfortable, and it was my upmost pleasure to share your feedback with the team.

It is a pity that you had to encounter a little difficulty on your check in due to the reservation dates not being accurate from your company travel’s agent. However, I am pleased to see that this was resolved by the team at the Front Desk.

However, at the same time I would like to apologize for your luggage taking two hours to be delivered to your room, and please rest assure that this matter has been addressed with the concierge and porter team to put corrective measures into place to prevent a future reoccurrence.

With regards to the pay movie channel being slow, and further to your concerns of the gym requiring a makeover, I am pleased to advise you that we are in the process of refurbishing our public areas as well as our TV system in the rooms in the near future. However, I do regret, that we were currently not able to meet your expectations, for which you have once more my profound apologies.

At the same time I would like to thank you for your comments of removing the inter-leading doors as this turns to be noisy if there is a guest in the next room. As an elimination of the noise travelling to the adjacent room will imply a room renovation, I am afraid we won’t be able to rectify the situation in the near future. However to prevent a reoccurrence of such a disturbance I kindly ask you to inform us of your next arrival in advance and we are more than happy to allocate you a room accordingly.

Mr. RGroags, I would also like to thank you once more for taking the time to give us your detailed and open feedback as it is only through comments such as yours that we are able to improve our standards and service delivery. Please be assured, we do place great value on your custom, and your continued relationship with Hilton and always look forward to welcoming you back to the Hilton Sandton in the near future.