“Hilton Comfort in Sandton”
Review of Hilton Sandton

Hilton Sandton
Ranked #14 of 48 Hotels in Sandton
Singapore, Singapore
“Hilton Comfort in Sandton”
Reviewed October 10, 2012

The hotel is old but overall nice. It is in a very convenient place in Sandton. The rooms are big and clean. The breakfast is ok and the food is delicious in the a la carte restaurant. I suggest you try beef - of cource, you are in South Africa! When I first checked in, my room was not ready but they made it ready in a short period of time and welcomed me with soft drinks. The only major problem the hotel has is the concierge, unfortunately they are not capable of understanding and doing what you have told them and I have been left in very difficult situations where the bus should come and take me but did not and I was left alone in the middle of the night in Jo'burg! They took my e-mail and promised to come back to me but of course, no one came back that is why I think they are not different than any other average hotels.

Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
hiltonnairobi, Manager at Hilton Sandton, responded to this review, October 14, 2012
Dear Mr/Ms, Nkocak,

Thank you very much for choosing to stay at the Hilton Sandton and for sharing your valuable feedback with us. We greatly appreciate any comments made by our guests and constantly strive to achieve the highest quality standards.

Hilton has always taken pride in ensuring that our guests have the feeling of it being a home away from home. Our main aim being guest satisfaction and quality delivery, we do take our guests and their well being very seriously and always hope to meet the guests expectations.

Indeed the hotel is 15 years old however I am pleased to see that you were overall satisfied with your spacious clean room and the quality of food in the restaurant.

I am delighted to see that your overall satisfied with your arrival, despite the fact that you had to wait a short while in the morning. To avoid any inconvenience in case of an early check in, we advise pre-registering from the night before as our official check in time is 14:00. I'm sure you can appreciate that as the vast majority of international flights arrive in Johannesburg early in the morning and depart in the evening.

Further to the service received from our concierge desk, I would highly appreciate if you could share further details with us, in order to be able to investigate this matter further. and to be put meassures into place to prevent a future reoccurrence.

I would like to thank you once more for taking the time to give us your detailed and open feedback as it is only through comments such as yours that we are able to continuoulsy improve our standards and service delivery.

Mr/Ms, Nkocak, we place great value on your custom, and your continued relationship with Hilton and look forward to welcoming you back to the Hilton Sandton in the near future.

Director of Operations

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (149)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
London
Reviewed October 7, 2012

I like this hotel. There are probably more luxurious hotels in the Sandton area, but the Hilton is just about the right size to be able to recognize guests and offer good service from very nice people.
Everyone says hello, ask for something and it's done straightaway.
My room was comfortable and well equipped. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Dear Mr. Oldfatandtired,

We are glad to note your overall satisfaction during your recent stay with us. Believe me, it is ratings such as yours that make all efforts truly worthwhile. I am also delighted to see that the team made you feel welcome and at home.

Mr. Oldfatandtired, we place great value on your custom, and your continued relationship with Hilton and look forward to welcoming you back to the Hilton Sandton and any of our Hilton Worldwide Hotels in the near future.

Bellevue, Washington
Reviewed October 6, 2012 via mobile

We spent a glorious night at the Hilton hotel located in the business district (Sandton) in Johannesburg. We had just enjoyed a four day safari and decided to spend one night in Johburg before our long journey home. The hotel is clearly well run as their service is paramount. From the concierge staff to our cheerful breakfast waiter (Sam) we were met with efficiency and delightful service. Our room was beautiful as was the large shower and lovely amenities .
The elegant lobby and well run business center adds a level of class to this already lovely property.The breakfast buffet ( about $25 per person) was outstanding and totally worth the price. The choices were not only plentiful but delicious.
Once again, we are happy to be HiltonHonor members and we were totally impressed with this location. Thank you.

• Stayed September 2012
1 Thank Bliss62
Dear Mr/Ms Bliss62,

We all aver very pleased to see that your expectations of a Hilton hotel were met with the efficiency and delightful service from our team. Indeed Hilton Sandton makes a mark to stand out and provide the immaculate standards that we proudly carry.

Mr/Ms Bliss62, we place great value on your custom, and your continued patronage and we all look forward to welcoming you back to the Hilton Sandton and any of our Hilton Worldwide Hotels in the near future.

In the meantime, if I can be of any assistance, please do contact me at any given time.

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed October 5, 2012

The Hilton Sandton is a nice hotel in a great location in Johannesburg. Perfect for business travellers as the majority of businesses are conducted in the Sandton area.

The good stuff:
The breakfast was fantastic and highly reccomended. The choice was very good and the staff were very attentive and wonderful.
The staff in general were very helpful and the housekeeping service was definitely as expected.
A really nice lounge for catching up on news and a few drinks at the end of the day.
Rooms were nice, nothing special but definitely comfortable.

The not so good stuff:
The check in was a little difficult but this was more the company travel agent not getting the dates quite right. However there were further issues after confirming my length of stay and I had to ring a few times to correct this however great credit to the staff who made it so I didnt have to change rooms, they resolved it really easily.
Took two hours for the luggage to delivered to the room. After coming off a 24 our flight this is too long and for a business grade hotel this should be better.
The movie system has plenty of choice but it is horribly slow. Needs to be looked into.
Yes it is dated. I understand that there are renovations and upgrades underway but it is certainly looking its age. I am little biased though after staying in really modern hotels throughout Asia.
Gym was disappointing. The TV was fuzzy and there was only one and it didnt face any of the right equipment. This area really needs a makeover and being a regaulr Hilton customer I expected a lot better actually.
The rooms, well at least the one I had, has a shared door. I could hear everything from the other guest, which was a bit annoying. I suggest that during the upgrade these get removed as it really intrudes on privacy and security in my mind.
The internet in the room....well this is actually really bad. You have to pay separately for extra devices and frankly in this day and age should be included. Especially if you want to remain competitive. The cable was barely connected to the wall and I had to play with it to get it to work. I got charged double after poor instructions about how to set it up. I have heard that because it is an external provider the hotel does not have much say in improving the service but thats not an excuse to me these days For a business hotel it was not up to standard.

Would stay again as overall it is a comfortable hotel with excellent staff but facilities are lacking and needs further updating. I would wait until maybe the renovations are finished and I am sure it will be back to the quality Hilton standard.

Room Tip: Avoid a shared door room as it can be noisy from other guests.
Dear Mr. RGroags

I am delighted to see that you were overall satisfied with your breakfast experience, the service received from the team and the hotel being comfortable, and it was my upmost pleasure to share your feedback with the team.

It is a pity that you had to encounter a little difficulty on your check in due to the reservation dates not being accurate from your company travel’s agent. However, I am pleased to see that this was resolved by the team at the Front Desk.

However, at the same time I would like to apologize for your luggage taking two hours to be delivered to your room, and please rest assure that this matter has been addressed with the concierge and porter team to put corrective measures into place to prevent a future reoccurrence.

With regards to the pay movie channel being slow, and further to your concerns of the gym requiring a makeover, I am pleased to advise you that we are in the process of refurbishing our public areas as well as our TV system in the rooms in the near future. However, I do regret, that we were currently not able to meet your expectations, for which you have once more my profound apologies.

At the same time I would like to thank you for your comments of removing the inter-leading doors as this turns to be noisy if there is a guest in the next room. As an elimination of the noise travelling to the adjacent room will imply a room renovation, I am afraid we won’t be able to rectify the situation in the near future. However to prevent a reoccurrence of such a disturbance I kindly ask you to inform us of your next arrival in advance and we are more than happy to allocate you a room accordingly.

Mr. RGroags, I would also like to thank you once more for taking the time to give us your detailed and open feedback as it is only through comments such as yours that we are able to improve our standards and service delivery. Please be assured, we do place great value on your custom, and your continued relationship with Hilton and always look forward to welcoming you back to the Hilton Sandton in the near future.

Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed September 28, 2012

Having stayed at this hotel overnight on business before, I remembered the slightly dated lobby but was pleasantly surprised as the check-in efficiency had improved measurably since my previous stay.

This time I was checked into a room which had not been made-up and appeared to have someone's chattels still in situ when I opened the door. The excellent concierge who helped with my bag took me swiftly back to reception where the matter was dealt with excellently. I was immediately checked into a suite, provided with a complementary (and enormous) basket of fruit, mineral water, a bathrobe and profound expressions of apology. The accommodation was of extremely high quality, light, spacious and modern.

Throughout the rest of my short business trip I was fully satisfied all round with the hotel (and I do stay in a lot of hotels!). Housekeeping was superb with everything replenished as needed. Room service was outstanding; quick, tasty and beautifully presented. Transportation was efficient, drivers were polite and both navigation and driving skills very competent (you would be surprised what i have seen elsewhere!). A couple of early evenings spent in the bar with colleagues were comfortable and very convivial. Security at the hotel was reassuring but not overkill.

I would definitely recommend this hotel for a business trip to the area.

1 Thank ClaraCW
hiltonnairobi, Manager at Hilton Sandton, responded to this review, October 4, 2012
Dear Mr/Mrs, ClaraCW,

We are very pleased to note that you were overall very satisfied with the service received at check in, from our housekeeping team, chauffeur drivers, Faces bar team and our security and it was my upmost pleasur to share the same with our team. Believe me, it is ratings such as yours that make all efforts truly worthwhile.

Mr/Mrs, ClaraCW. we place great value on your custom, and your continued patronage and we all are looking forward to welcoming you back to the Hilton Sandton very soon again.

If I can be of any assistance for you in the meantime, please do contact me at any given time.

Munich, Germany
Reviewed September 21, 2012

The Hilton Sandton has everything you need in Johannesburg, perfect location for business Travelers. The hotel is a solid 5* hotel, with some aspects that making it worth being considered for business trips to Sandton: Taxi/Limousine service is reliable and safe, there is a regular free shuttle service to Madela Square (works well for Dinner and also pick-up after Dinner). The hotel has a nice Lounge for Executive Rooms/Frequest guests and the staff is really competent and helpful. Rooms are nice, nothing special but matching fully the overall quality. For any business trip I can highly recommend the Hilton.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Alexander Z
hiltonnairobi, Manager at Hilton Sandton, responded to this review, September 25, 2012
Dear Mr. Alexander Z,

We are glad to note your overall satisfaction during your recent stay with us. Believe me, it is ratings such as yours that make all efforts truly worthwhile. Indeed Hilton Sandton is a 5 star hotel with all the perks and accessibility that one would want to have around..

Mr. Alexander Z, we place great value on your custom, and your continued patronage and we all are looking forward to welcoming you back to the Hilton Sandton and any of our Hilton Worldwide Hotels in the near future.

Mumbai (Bombay), India
Reviewed September 15, 2012

I've stayed at the Hilton Sandton before on business, and it is always a great place to stay and I would definitely stay there again.

It would have received 5 stars, except it's front desk staff let them down badly this visit. I waited for almost 10 minutes to checkin, despite only one person being in front of my with 4-5 people behind the counter. People behind the desk weren't very welcoming this visit for some reason. On checkout - the hotel transfer to the airport ended up being a local taxi instead - with massive confusion amongst the drivers as to who was taking me to the airport.

The hotel staff (other than those on front desk/concierge) are an absolute credit to the Hilton Sandton. Incredibly friendly and welcoming staff at the breakfast restaurant. Likewise the cleaning staff/room service teams were great. The front desk team should take note from their colleagues.

Rooms are large, spacious and very quiet. Room prices are very reasonable. Complimentary WIFI would have been a bonus and hopefully this would be introduced in the future. I stayed for 8 days, yet only received newspapers 3 times. Wasn't quite sure why this was inconsistent.

Breakfast - well I'm pretty sure I gain 5kg every time I stay at the Hilton Sandton just from breakfast. One of the best breakfast buffets I've had anywhere in the world.

Room service menu is fantastic - very well priced with lots of options.

Hotel location is great, right in the middle of Sandton city. I ventured out a little more this time and walked to Sandton City mall and some of the surrounding bars. The Hotel offers a shuttle to Nelson Mandela square just down the road.

Overall a great stay - just improve on the front desk service and I think you will be back onto a winner.

1 Thank CraigJonesNZ
hiltonnairobi, Manager at Hilton Sandton, responded to this review, September 23, 2012
Dear Mr, CraigJonesNZ,

I am delighted to see that you were overall satisfied with the service you received from the team, and I would like to assure you that I have personally shared your feedback with the entire team. At the same time, regarding your comments about our reception team, I would like to inform you, that together with our Front Desk Manager we are curretnly working on training pans and internal changes in order to achieve the same great feedback as experienced by you through out the hotel.

With regards to not having complimentary WI-FI connection, this is due to the service being provided by an outside company, however as a Hilton Honors member once you reach your Gold status you will be eligible to complimentary access of this service as per our Hilton Honors policy.

Please accept my sincere apology that you only received your newspapers three times during your stay and kindly note that I have addressed this matter with our Head Concierge to prevent a future reoccurrence.

I would also like to thank you for taking the time to give us your detailed and open feedback as it is only through comments such as yours that we are able to improve our standards and service delivery.

Mr. CraigJonesNZ, we place great value on your custom, and your patronage and please rest assured that all of us are looking forward to welcoming you back to the Hilton Sandton very soon again.

In the meantime, if I can be of any assistance, please do let me know at any given time.