“Incompetent manager”
Review of Hilton Sandton

Hilton Sandton
Ranked #13 of 46 Hotels in Sandton
Reviewed September 7, 2011

Front desk personnel was very helpful at check-in, but during the stay I have been unpleasantly suprised by the manager's behaviour at this hotel. In all hotels around the world, I always print an electronic boarding pass before heading to the airport, and it is never an issue. At this Hilton, however, personnel refused to help me and informed me I must pay 43 Rand in the business center if I wanted to help myself (in addition to Internet access I had already paid for in my room for the duration of my stay). I asked for the manager on duty and was connected to the person by the name of Beauty Lebelo. She took no interest in my need and advised me that I simply have to abide by the hotel's rules; she announced she had never heard about boarding passes being printed for free to offer just a small cortesy to business travellers. Obviously, the amount of money is not high, but it would be wrong to encourage bad service and incompetence (anyone who knows anything about hotel business would know printing boarding passes is commonplace). Stay at Radisson instead!

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled on business
AxelHauser, General Manager at Hilton Sandton, responded to this reviewResponded September 13, 2011

We appreciate your feedback regarding your recent experience at Hilton Sandton. We apologize for any inconvenience caused, as this is certainly not the service we align ourselves with.

Should your future travels bring you back to Johannesburg, please don’t hesitate to contact my office directly to personally assist you with your reservation.

Reviewed September 4, 2011

We just spent 4 nights here and loved it. Isaak in the executive lounge was so helpful. He booked an excellent driver for us each day at a reasonable price. ( usually booking through the hotel is really price inflated )
We were upgraded to a suite which was huge , clean and fresh with a large balcony with a lovely lounge
set. There is a free shuttle ti Nelson Mandela square filled with shops and restaurants. The shuttle leaves every 15-30 min. You can also request a specific pick up time and our driver was already waiting for us when we came 10 min early.
The food was exceptional. Even the breakfast in the lounge was wonderful. I have nothing but positive thing s to say about both the propery and it's wonderful staff.

• Stayed: September 2011
AxelHauser, General Manager at Hilton Sandton, responded to this reviewResponded September 6, 2011

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at Hilton Sandton.

We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed the offerings of our Executive Lounge and our complimentary shuttle to Nelson Mandela Square. Thank you for your appreciative comments on the helpfulness of our staff members. I will certainly pass them on to my team.

Should your travel bring you back to Johannesburg, we are looking forward to welcoming you again at Hilton Sandton!

Your Sincerely,

Reviewed September 1, 2011

As hotel owners ourselves, we decided to stay at this place as we are exhibiting our hotel at a local trade show.
We have a Toyota Quantum bus that we needed to use to transport our signage and show equipment.
After we arrived at the Hilton, we were advised to park in their underground garage. We advised the concierge that due to it's height it would not fit in the garage. He told us that all Toyota Quantums did park there and insisted that we park. Once again we told him it would not fit - to no avail. As the vehicle entered the top of it got caught on the ceiling causing damage. When we tried to get hold of the General Manager his PA said he was in meetings. On the next attempt he was on a phone call. The man is obviously a coward and is hiding away. Needless to say it was the bad negligence of the staff which caused damage to the vehicle. The hotel is poorly run and staff are sullen, unhelpful and rude. The general manager is obviously completely incompetent and unprofessional - this is evident by the entire atmosphere and ambience. The GM would be better suited to a two star interstate motel than a city hotel.

• Stayed: September 2011
1  Thank Atreides77
AxelHauser, General Manager at Hilton Sandton, responded to this reviewResponded September 9, 2011

Thank you for choosing the Hilton Sandton for your recent stay in Johannesburg.

Unfortunately we only provide short-term parking in our porte cochere for pick up and drop off purposes, which is due to flow of traffic and security reasons. I regret that our staff was uncertain about the clearance and this resulted in damage to your van. Our Director of Operations, who is in charge of the hotel’s day-to-day operations, has been in contact and met with you during your stay and inspected the damage on your vehicle.

We apologise for any inconvenience caused, and trust that we have addressed your concerns in person as well as through an on-going follow-up with our hotel and Hilton’s Guest Assistance Centre.

Your sincerely,

Reviewed August 29, 2011

I was robbed at gunpont insinde Hilton Sandton car parking, saturday 13th August at 2pm.

I am a HH freq member and i stayed in Hilton Sandton before. What happened this month was too bad to be true and i thought i would die.

Its not worten to go on detail (if needed will post police case number and full story) but bottom line is i was violented robbed at gun point and me & 2 other guests almost die inside Hilton Sandton because of the lack of security. They dont have any control of who gets access to parking, not enought CCTV cameras, only one disarmed security guard, etc... not enought for a city like Johannesburg and not enought considering Hilton standards.

I hope this comment will not be removed. Potencial guests need to have a full understanding of Joburg reality in general and what happened to me while staying with Hilton Sandton.

Johannesburg is a violent city? Yes big time. Can this happen in other city/country/hotel? Yes it can, BUT Hilton must be more pro-active in terms of having right security procedures in place to avoid this.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank Carlinhos78
AxelHauser, General Manager at Hilton Sandton, responded to this reviewResponded September 16, 2011

We sincerely regret the events that took place during your recent stay. While we take various security precautions to ensure the safety and wellbeing of our guests, we cannot be held responsible for individual’s not taking the necessary precautions which resulted in this unfortunate incident.

We advise all our guests not to wear valuables on their person when leaving the hotel as not to attract attention from undesirable persons.

Should you require any further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me directly.

Reviewed August 2, 2011

I actually booked this using my miles and have to say everything was very good from check in, to room, service and breakfast.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled on business
AxelHauser, General Manager at Hilton Sandton, responded to this reviewResponded August 4, 2011

Thank you for taking the time to write this review. We look forward to welcoming you again whenever your travel or leisure plans bring you back to Johannesburg!

Reviewed July 31, 2011

I was there for business did not spend much time there, however I have a few notes;
1- It's old but clean, I had problems with the shower and TV and room door but it was all aging stuff .
2- Staff is friendly to an extent, more over responsive and fast doing so.
3- The hotel style is comfortable but nothing is noise proof, you could hear whatever is going on next door, upstairs or even downstairs.
4- room was on first floor, absence of view.
5- Loved the grill house shuttle service and its compliment to Hilton guests (free bottle of wine)
6- Breakfast was good as long as Frank is making you the cheese omelets.
7- Avoid hotel taxis and tour guides, they are not the best and really expensive.
8- The area is quite nice and safe, it's close to nelson mandela square and sandton city mall, also to a few other restaurants and hotel.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled on business

Thank you for your valuable feedback on your recent stay with us.

We are pleased to hear that you were happy with the level of service, our convenient location in the centre of Sandton and our complimentary shuttle service to the popular Nelson Mandela Square. Rest assured that we are constantly striving to improve our services and have just completed an extensive maintenance program for our bathroom facilities.

Should your future travels bring you back to Johannesburg, please don’t hesitate to contact my office directly to personally assist you.

Reviewed July 28, 2011

We chose to stay at the Hilton, Sandton after receiving good recommendation for its hospitality and proximity to the Sandton busienss district.

Enjoyed the week long stay at the Hotel, its friendly staff and good interiors being their biggest asset. Could have done with Indian food restaurant.

Hiwever the complimentary pick up & drops arranged by the Hotel to the nearby Sandton city mall more than made up as we got the choice of 2 Indian classical restaurants- The Raj boasting the better food.

Kudos to the Hotel team and will certainly be back for business stay

Room Tip: well maintained hotel rooms and supplies replenished on request