“Lovely hotel, but not walking distance from anywhere”

Southern Sun Katherine Street Sandton
Ranked #15 of 46 Hotels in Sandton
Reviewed June 5, 2010

Southern Sun Katherine Street - make sure you get the right one - my taxi driver took me to another former holiday inn - is a lovely lodge-style hotel in Sandton. There's a small (cool, temperature-wise) pool, a nice restaurant, and I had a really lovely room with a balcony overlooking the garden/pool and the road. The service is very pleasant and unobtrusive.
The food was nice in the restaurant and room service, though the room service breakfast was a bit pricey (but where isn't it?)

I enjoyed everything apart from the fact that it's just too far (and dangerous) to walk anywhere, even though it's not THAT far by my normal standards, and I would have walked had I not been warned off.

A warning, though. I had my credit card skimmed - I'm not blaming this hotel at all as the transaction was done in front of me and they were extremely professional, it could have been anywhere in Nelson Mandela square (the three other occasions I used my card). Nearly £10,000 was stolen before the fraud was discovered by my card company. Luckily I'd told them when I was going, and when I was coming back.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank Eaden

Reviewed March 10, 2010

I stayed here for a few days. The reception staff were friendly and very helpful in organising taxis and tours. The breakfast is extensive and of very good quality and the breakfast service is efficient and well managed.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled solo
Reviewed February 20, 2010

I really enjoyed our time at this hotel. It's one of the more reasonably priced options in Sandton, and it offered us a very comfortable stay.

The rooms are spacious and well decorated with modern but cozy furnishings and colors. The bed and linens were very comfortable. Our bathroom was huge and the shower was fantastic -- awesome water pressure! We had a little balcony overlooking the pool area. The air conditioner was quiet and efficient.

One complaint is that our room had no minibar. Fortunately, there are plenty of eating options right across the street (Mythos is a good Greek place) and our room service was pretty good. But a minibar would have been good for drinks and small snacks.

Another complaint: have to pay for Wi-fi. I know this is becoming the norm, but it's annoying to be nickled and dimed for Internet access.

The lobby of the hotel and common areas are nice -- a very open floor plan with high ceilings.

The continental breakfast in the morning was OK, but we thought it would be included in the price; it was not. We thought the breakfast was extremely expensive for what it offered, so I'd say it's not worth the money at all. (Ours came to something like R220 for yogurt, fruits, breads, coffee, etc. No eggs or any hot dishes offered.) Go somewhere else for breakfast.

Parking lot security was tight -- something you learn to appreciate in Joburg.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank tjmm11
Reviewed February 19, 2010

My daughter (19 years) and I stayed at this hotel twice in January 2010. We found the hotel well located (right opposite a shopping centre) and with great accessiblity. I liked the fact that one could just drive in and leave your car close to the hotel and s it was easily accesible. Also, the hotel is not high rise (only 2 levels) and so getting from the room to the pool and the restaurant was effortless.

It was well priced. Food was okay by international standards. Could defnitely improve in this area. Also, too many staff standing around seemingly at a loss as to what to do. But, overall the staff were friendly and helpful. We had problems with our air conditioner and they readily moved us to another room.

• Stayed: January 2010
Reviewed December 3, 2009

This is situated in a nice, calm and safe place. The hotel looked more like a Resort than the usual pomp of a hotel. No other amenities other than a swimming pool... not even a gym. But the reception staff are friendly. Short distance from the famous Nelson Mandela Square.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed December 2, 2009

I managed to get to the hotel from Jo-burg airport, the cost was around 350 Rand.
The first thing that grabbed me was that there is plenty of security up at the main entrance. Checking in was straightforward and was pleasantly surprised by the size of the room, large and very spacious, decor was very good as well. The bathroom was very large as well.
Despite being on a main road, the hotel room was surprisingly quiet.
Staff were always smiling and very helpful. The hotel taxi was very good and I took it to work and out in the evenings to hop to Mandela square - all in all - a very nice hotel.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled on business
1  Thank T_Virdee
Reviewed November 10, 2009

This was my first time to stay at the Southern Sun on Katherine Street and I am so happy that I've made the choice to stay there!

The hotel is located between Bryanston and Sandton, which connects fairly easily to Fourways and the airport, depending on the traffic. What is particular about this hotel is that your room is not in one massive building, as with so many hotels, but is in fact part of several large bungalows, as part of a compound. This allows for a lot of green around the rooms, and easy access straight to your room via car. The compound is guarded with high walls, as well as security. I admit, I was skeptical about the security at first but all went well and it does appear to be very safe.

My room had a wonderful bathroom with a big bath! Now here is a bath that you can actually stretch and really relax! What a rare thing to find. The room was impeccably clean, with a nice and very comfortable bed. There was even a small terrace, which, regretfully, did not have any chairs and table to sit outside. The airconditionning was based inside, which made cool air a noisy affair. Some people may mind about that.

The restaurant was excellent, serving huge portions, of fresh and deliciously prepared food. Slightly on the expensive side, but throroughly worth it if you don't want to go outside to have a meal. Breakfast was delicious, though again, somewhat on the expensive side.

Room service was excellent throughout. Nicholas from guest relations was most helpful to make my stay perfect.

Price-wise we are looking a good value for money. Many hotels, especially in Sandton, are unjustifiably overpriced, whilst the Southern Sun on Katherine Street offers a cozy and comfortable alternative. I sincerely hope it will stay this way.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled on business