We stayed here recently with a young adult son. We picked this place because it had a 2 bedroom suite so he did not have to have a separate room, and because the location was close to shopping/Gautrain station. Also, we needed a place with a restaurant because we were arriving in the evening and did not feel comfortable going out to find a place to eat. I know Sandton is safe, but we just did not feel comfortable. We had already stayed in a similar hotel in another part of Johannesburg earlier in our trip to Africa and by comparison I have to stay we preferred the other place because the Southern Sun was not as friendly or convenient (location wise). When arriving it was unclear how to check-in. There were two desks with people sitting at them but they did not look up and invite us over, so we were not sure if that was where you were supposed to check in or if they were part of a business office. We had to awkwardly stand around until the porter came over to greet us and I asked where to check in. After we checked in the very friendly porter helped us find our room and get our luggage in, and asked if the check-in person had told us about the on-site restaurant, eating establishments nearby, etc. The check-in person had not, so he told us everything. If it had not been for the porter all we would have would be the room with no idea about the pool, restaurant hours, bar, business facilities, etc. and there was no "book" in the room that described the hotel services. It turned out that the hotel was a good distance from the Sandton shopping area it was located near, but the hotel had a free shuttle that was easy enough to use to get there. One minor oddity was that even though we had a two bedroom suite there was only one shower, which was ensuite with the twin bed bedroom. The master bedroom had a nice bathroom but only a bathtub. So overall the stay was nice, and the restaurant was very good, but the friendliness of the staff and convenience of location was less so than the hotel we previously stayed at in Rosebank, and the price of the Southern Sun was more.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Everyone from sportsmen to business travelers is attracted to the Southern Sun Katherine Street Hotel in Sandton for its elegance, proximity to Sandton's attractions and welcoming atmosphere. Executive suites have their own kitchenette and dining area, perfect for the traveler staying a bit longer to truly explore the city. The intimate conference facilities are ideal for private business meetings and the restaurant and bar offer a relaxing place to unwind after a long day. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia, Travelocity, Orbitz, Cancelon, Agoda, TripOnline SA, Hotwire, HotelQuickly and Evoline ltd so you can book your Southern Sun Katherine Street Sandton reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Southern Sun Katherine Street Sandton Hotel Sandton
- Southern Sun Katherine Street Sandton Greater Johannesburg