“Completely overrated”
2 of 5 bubbles Review of La Campagnola - CLOSED

La Campagnola
Cuisines: Italian, Mediterranean
Good for: Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Drinks, Late Night, Dinner, Full Bar, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Johannesburg, South Africa
“Completely overrated”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 7, 2013

Spent an evening with friends at La Campagnola last weekend and whilst the starters were quite nice, the main courses were bland and not of a standard I would expect from restaurant which is often recommended. The standard of the food was especially disappointing when the prices charged are taken into consideration. I've had much better food from Cafe del Sol in Olivedale and Modo Mio in Craighall.
This was my third time at La Campagnola and the previous two experiences were nothing to write home about either. Definitely won't be returning.

• Visited August 2013
2 Thank Douglas A

johannesburg
“Revolting Restaurant”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 26, 2013

My parents and I are real foodies. Given the history and supposedly good name La Campagnola has we decided to try it as a "fab" restaurant choice in Joburg...my folks have recently settled in Cape Town after having lived in the US for a number of years and love fine dining experiences. We invited friends to join us. My first shock of the evening was every time the waiter poured our wine he spilled on the table cloth. Then of the six main courses ordered four had to be returned as they were simple not edible. Then the waiter would just open and pour water, which we had not ordered....non-voluntary up selling is NOT okay! I then complained to the owner who basically dismissed my complaint and told me I am full of nonsense....the entire evening was not okay. I will never set foot in that establishment ever again! It was revolting and they really don't deserve your patronage. Possibly the most shocking dining experience I have had in my lifetime. The fact that they do well is a complete sin. If you have the choice don't ever frequent the restaurant, it's a complete shocker.

• Visited July 2013
9 Thank Romy197070
Pretoria, South Africa
“La Campagnola - Never Again”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2013

I visited La Campagnola with a group of friends, upon arrival it looks to be a most beautiful place. It was very well decorated and seemed a very exclusive type of a place. This is ceratinly where the magic ends. It has a really limited menu, and everything I had from the Breasola to the Saltimboco was horribly cooked. I did not enjoy the food one bit. I returned my food and asked for a substitution on 2 occasions. The replacement dishes turned out to be just as dissapointing. Why anyone would choose to eat at this place is beyond me. The wine was reasonably priced and the waiters did their best to accomodate our needs. But I for one will certainly never eat or visit this place again. It was not a pleasant experience.

• Visited July 2013
6 Thank Edvard F
Franschhoek, South Africa
“Excellent wine & delicious food!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 3, 2013 via mobile

I have dined at La Campagnola on many occasions and have always had a good experience. Last night was once again a reflection of what I have come to expect from this establishment. Curtious & professional staff, relaxed atmosphere, fantastic winelist and a well balanced menu. We ordered a bottle of De Toren Fusion (superb!) and the Fillet. Meat perfectly prepared & the accompanying peppersauce delicious. All in all a lovely dining experience.

Visited July 2013
Johannesburg, South Africa
“ahahahah una pagliacciata”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 1, 2013

Be italian born and growed in Italy, we like food and we enjoy going out, we just moved into the business capital of south africa me and my wife for the next year or so and last night we decide to have dinner at La Campagnola, the only things italian that they have ,.......the name, ahahahah, anyway, i mean the pasta even not to think about because it is unbelivable what they serve and call it pasta asciutta , i don't know if the manager or the owner that she was there she is from where but there isn't a small things that call this an italian place. Then the best it was ovbiously "IL CONTO" ridicolo for what we get. As a gentleman i did pay without say nothing but they will never see me and my wife again.

• Visited June 2013