“Piccolo mondo”

Ranked #7 of 232 Restaurants in Sandton
Cuisines: Italian, Mediterranean, Contemporary, International
Good for: Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: True to its name, the Piccolo Mondo really is “a world in one”, combined with superb food, excellent wine and a sophisticated ambience. The Piccolo Mondo instantly turns your visit into a distinctive culinary experience.Breakfast, lunch and dinner are served seven days a week in this magnificent restaurant, which overlooks the Nelson Mandela Square.
Reviewed March 15, 2014 via mobile

Excellent service amazing food was very impressed overall with the treatment and hospitality. We will definitely be back again in the future. We will suggest it to anyone and bring family and friends.
The ambiance and atmosphere is very welcoming overall

TopSommSA, Manager at Piccolo Mondo, responded to this reviewResponded March 31, 2014

Dear Lara H
Thank you very much for taking the time to post a review on Trip Advisor, my team and I value your feedback.
I am thrilled that you enjoyed your dining experience with us; my staff and I are always very motivated to hear such positive feedback.
We look forward to welcoming you back very soon,

There are newer reviews for Piccolo Mondo

Reviewed March 13, 2014

We were here for a birthday celebration. We had a voucher for the dinner & were given their set menu for this, but I didn't like the small choice of meals, so asked for the normal menu to choose from with the wider selection & which they happily obliged ;) The service was very good & the food delicious. I didn't expect the "Happy Birthday" platter which was all decorated so that was a lovely surprise. For locals it's probably highly priced but then they no doubt cater mostly for international customers - not one that we'd be able to go to too often. Their wine prices are way over the top for me. The staff & managers were all great the whole time we were there. A lovely evening out!

Dear Butterflywings77
Thank you for taking the time to post a review on Trip Advisor, my staff and I value your feedback.
I’m happy that we made your birthday celebration a special one, that’s what we here for!! Thank you for your very positive comments on our food and service this is always very motivating for our team.
We look forward to welcoming you back very soon.
Kind regards

Reviewed March 10, 2014

We go for high tea about once a month, but havent had the opportunity to go this year. We decided to go last Sunday, and after viewing the website (as usual), it stated that high tea would be served in Il Ritovo (as usual), and the Lindt one too, so i phoned and booked. Upon our arrival, they hadnt made the booking, they then proceeded to seat us at the other restuarant and explained that it was the "new" high tea. We were VERY shocked at the variety of food, it was exactly half of what we normally get a Il Ritovo and the selection was soooo boring. I will not be going back there for high tea, as it was normally a special treat for my family.

TopSommSA, Manager at Piccolo Mondo, responded to this reviewResponded March 16, 2014

Dear AngieFouche
Thank you for sharing your comments regarding our high tea offering here at The Michelangelo.
The content of our web site will be revised, so thank you for pointing out that it was miss leading, please allow me to clarify our high tea offering:
We serve high tea 7 days a week, during the week our high tea is plated in the Il Ritrovo, and bookings are essential. Over the weekend we serve our now famous Lindt Chocolate High Tea in either the Il Ritrovo lounge or the Piccolo Mondo restaurant and often in both outlets due to both venues being fully booked. Regardless of the location of our high tea buffets, the selection remains the same.
So yes, this should’ve been better explained to you when you made your reservation, so please except my apologies for this miss communication this matter will be addressed with the relevant staff.
Our Chef and his team work hard to maintain and constantly evolve our high tea offering, so we are disappointed to hear that we did not meet your expectations, your feedback has been addressed with him, we pride ourselves as being a premier high tea destination in Johannesburg.
I hope you will afford us the opportunity to host you and your family again in the future.

Reviewed March 8, 2014

As a "welcome back" in south-Africa, I was given a hilife voucher to get dine at the Piccolo Mondo. It says 6 course meal. I would never be able to afford a meal in a restaurant like this for my husband and I, so we were both excited to go, even if it was a long drive from home (took us about an hour and half to get there).

By the time we left, I was close to tears. I guess my expectations were too high for this restaurant....

The menu which was given to us was barely a laminated piece of paper with 3 choices for the courses - when other clients get a "proper" leather menu, we did feel like second class clients - the peasants are dining in town tonight...
The 6 course meal is in fact a 3 courses + 1 amuse-bouche + 1 sorbet and 1 coffee... Sorbet as a course, fair enough, some restaurant see it as a course. The amuse-bouche? You've got to be kidding! As for the coffee, I have never heard if coffee being a course!
This was oh so misleading....

When I brought it up to the manager, he said "yes, it is really a 3 course meal but we count the rest as courses as well but i will mention it in our Monday meeting".

I have had dinner in some nice restaurants before, I had never had to order starters, main and desserts at the same time. Give me time! I felt like we were being rushed to choose, a bit like in Spur...?!

After being rushed to decide, it just went 180 degrees. The whole evening, we felt that the waiter just ignored us and made us wait. We had to wait over half an hour between our starters and main and in that time, no one came to our table.
The manager diligently went to every table around expect for our - again, second class clients... So we just waited some more.

The mains were very nice, luckily as the waiter did not come back to check on us until we were done.

We got our desserts and then we had to wait some more. Waiters were busy around us but no one stopped at our table. I had to eventually get up and go ask for someone to bring us coffee, the "6th course".

All in all, it was a very disappointing evening.
I guess Piccolo Mondo does not want the second class citizen there and they make you feel very out of place - maybe to make sure you don't come back?

So, we left the restaurant with a very bitter taste. What a disappointment.

2  Thank AudreyvH3

Dear AudreyvH3
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us on Trip Advisor, we value our guests comments.
I must assure you that my team and I treat all our guests equally, there is no difference between yourself or a walk in guest at Piccolo Mondo, so the fact that you were made to feel this way is completely unacceptable and for this I sincerely apologize.
You were by no means presented with an inferior menu, the menu you were offered is a reduced A La Carte menu comprising of a selection of our signature dishes, the fact that it is printed differently bares no reflection on its quality, this menu is offered in agreement with the Highlife experience.
Your comments regarding service have been noted and will be actioned accordingly as this is not the accepted standard at Piccolo Mondo.
We pride ourselves in offering all our guests an exceptional dining experience, I must stress that your experience is isolated and is not a true reflection of what we offer here at Piccolo Mondo, I hope you will afford us the opportunity to host you again and show you the true experience you should’ve had the first time.
I look forward to welcoming you back very soon.

Reviewed February 28, 2014 via mobile

Staying in Sandton, and Johannesburg, for the first time I figured I'd try out the best restaurant available and check out Nelson Mandela Square at the same time.
I was a solo walk in with no booking and the staff were very accommodating though they were clearly busy. I had the springbok carpaccio and the ostrich main and thought both were very good.
For an entree, main and an excellent glass of wine I paid R320 before tip. As an Australian my opinion on the price of a restaurant quality meal is skewed to the high side so you can make your own judgement on whether you see that as good value, I do.
It wasn't a meal or experience that was amazing, hence the 4 rating, but I thought it was very good and would certainly be happy to go there again.

TopSommSA, Manager at Piccolo Mondo, responded to this reviewResponded March 2, 2014

Dear Matthew B

Welcome to South Africa!

Thank you very much for taking the time to post your review on Trip Advisor, honest feedback is the only way we can improve.

I am thrilled to hear that you enjoyed your meal with us, we will work hard on ways to improve the dining experience we offer our guests, I look forward to welcoming you back very soon.

Thank you for your support.