“Disappointing and not coming back. NOT RECOMMENDED”

The Capital 20 West
Reviewed April 30, 2012

I made a reservation from booking.com for 7 nights.
Arriving to the hotel around 8 pm. Surprisely the receptionist, very well educated and polite gentleman, informed me that there were no reservation in my name. I showed him the confirmation papers sent by booking.com. I made another reservation for that night.
The room at ground floor was not what I was expecting for. Very small, not well ventilated and the food smell unsupported. The receptionist found another room at 2nd floor with the same dimension but well ventilated and no food smell.
There is no buffet breakfast. From the menu I requested an omelet. 30 minutes after my request I was informed that I had to wait for 5 more minutes!!!. I left the room without the breakfast taken. 3 stars not 5

Stayed: April 2012
3  Thank Kool2bbop
MarcWachsberger, General Manager at The Capital 20 West, responded to this reviewResponded May 2, 2012

Thank you for your constructive feedback. Please accept my sincere apologies for the service failure in our restaurant. The delay in the preperation of the omelette was excessive and this has been addressed with the kitchen staff. I hope that you will give 20 West the opportunity to host you again in the not too distant future.

Reviewed April 11, 2012

As a frequent business traveller to Johannesburg, I normally stay at the other hotels in the area such as Radisson Blu Gautrain / Sandton, Park Inn Sandton.
During my last private trip to Sandton, I've decided to try something new and stay at 20 West Executive for 3 nights.
Upon arrival, I had a first bad impression at reception. The receptionist seemed to be very cold and didn't spend any time explaining the facilities in the hotel.
As we got to our room, I was confronted with a sequence of bad experiences: 1) We've booked a room with double occupation, but only one set of towels was available. 2) By trying to hopelessly find a phone directory in the room or any evidence on how to contact reception, I ended up going down to reception on my own in order to ask for another set of towels. 3) During and after the first shower, we've noticed that the shower drain was congested. Again, we had to speak to reception (by now they had given us at least the extension number for it) and ask them to solve our problem.
With all the trouble we went through, they gave us another room and we had to pack our stuff / close the bags again in order to move. Latest at this point I would have expected at least some kind of courtesy for all the trouble we've experienced.
Although laundry service is included, you will only be able to use it after asking reception how it works. Unfortunately there is no Hotel-Guide / Phone Directory in the rooms explaining anything about the hotel and how its facilities work.
By checking out, I was asked how our stay was and I gave my feedback.
The rooms are very nice, modern and were very clean as well, but I can't recommend this hotel and will unfortunately not come back again. They are no yet prepared to offer a 5 star service, as announced and expected.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Vandré S
MarcWachsberger, General Manager at The Capital 20 West, responded to this reviewResponded April 17, 2012

Thank you for your constructive feedback. Since your stay with us last month, our Guest Service Directories have arrived from the printers and have now been placed into all our rooms. This detailed information pack will ensure that our future guests will not experience 90% of the challenges that you encountered. My sincere apologies for the coldness of the receptionist on check-in. This has been dealt with internally in the appropriate manner. The shower drain has also been attended to. I hope you will give 20 West another opportunity to host you in future.

Reviewed March 11, 2012

We very much enjoyed our stay in this very well appointed and stylish apartment and would certainly stay here again. The staff were very friendly and helpfull. Everywhere was very clean and it allowed us to do a bit of self catering and keep our laundry up to date witout having to spend a fortune on hotel service. The bathroom was very large and well equipt and the fridge in the kitchen area was mega.
However there are some areas which need addressing.
1)No maps or directions showing the hotel's location or local ammenitiies were available.
2)No information pack in room detailing how to use the phone, kitchen equipment, internet, menu for room service etc.
3)It was disconcerting to come back to the apartment and find that the washer and dryer were being used for hotel towels and other residents laundry. While we did not make an issue of this surely the hotel should have its own central laundry room??.
4)Linen appeared to be changed twice a week!! on Tue and Thur only.
5)The pool was not user friendly unless you were a confident swimmer and it was advertised as Salt Water but it appeared to just be the same as other pools we used during our trip which were not salt water pools. The pool area was also used some lunch times by conference groups.
The above issues are relatively minor and could be easily addressed by management and overall did not detract from a most enjoyable stay.

Room Tip: Would certainly opt for a one bedroom apartment as it allows you to self cater and is very spacious...
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Traveller_S-WalesUK
MarcWachsberger, General Manager at The Capital 20 West, responded to this reviewResponded March 13, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to give positive feedback about our property. It is always encouraging for our staff to hear how our guests are rating them and the facilities. Our swimming pool is salted with a self regulating chlorinator attached to it. Our "Guest Services Directory" for the rooms is currently in print and should be available in our rooms by the end of March 2012. The Directory will have detailed information about our facilities, services, and menus. We hope to welcome you back to 20 West.

Reviewed February 2, 2012

I am here now with my family! We are in the hub of Sandton, in extreme close promity to Sandton CBD, gautrain etc , so if you are travelling on business with family or for holiday, it is GREAT ,spacious , serviced and luxurious. It lives up to the 5 star promise!! it is also absolutely quiet, gorgeous layout of the hotel.

I will most definitely return to this hotel/ apartment type accommodation. LN

Room Tip: Suites are amazing value.
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank losh_12
MarcWachsberger, General Manager at The Capital 20 West, responded to this reviewResponded February 6, 2012

Thank you for your positive feedback. We look forward to welcoming you back to 20 West Executive Apartments & Hotel in the not too distant future.

Reviewed February 1, 2012

I was not looking forward to spending 10 nights in Johannesburg away from my family however 20 West Executive Apartments provided a home away from home. The self-catering apartment I was given was clean, the kitchen was well fitted, the staff were super friendly and the promised daily cleaning as well as laundry ran like clockwork. The whole experience was pleasant and really eased the tension of having to spend so long away from my family for work. I was able to create a temporary home for myself. I would recommend this hotel for anyone travelling on business in Sandton.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled on business
MarcWachsberger, Owner at The Capital 20 West, responded to this reviewResponded February 2, 2012

Thank-you for staying with us. We are so glad you enjoyed your stay and we look forward to your return. We aim to be a home away from home and we are glad that we have achieved that.

Reviewed January 31, 2012

I arrived at 20 West in the evening at around 20:00. My first impression was that I had made an excellent choice. The hotel looked beautiful. The design was modern and very business class. My room was on the 3rd floor. it was modern, comfortable and neat.
The restaurant , the swimming pool, the gym were all well presented. I especially liked the swimming pool which had a waterfall in the center...a beautiful touch.

The hotel had a self-catering aura to it. Difficult to explain. It had the feel of 5-star apartments for rent. Some of the guests were at times a bit loud, and on one occasion there was loud music, loud discussions and commotion from one of the rooms on the third floor at night until 01:00am. But it was only the one night.

Housekeeping was excellent and reception was good. I must mention that on the night of my arrival, the guy at reception was particularly poor with his service. He was cold, not interested, looked like he didn't want to be there. Two other gentlemen were waiting in line to check-in and he was equally detached with them. The rest of the reception staff on the other days were good and friendly. But for those who checked-in for one night, they must have been extremely disappointed with the cold reception of the day. Apart from that it is a good establishment and I would possibly go back again. the staff is friendly and helpful. the rooms are very moderns and comfortable. It is value for money.

Room Tip: Tip: when checking-in avoid the 3rd floor if possible. I paid a 5-day wi-fi cover with my cc but cou...
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled solo

Many thanks for staying with us at 20 West Executive Apartments and Hotel. We are glad that you enjoyed your stay for the most part and regret that one of our front desk staff was not friendly. We will continue to strive to meet our clients expectations and we look forward to welcoming you back to 20 West with a smile on all of faces.

Reviewed January 30, 2012

Visited my Cousin who was on the a buniness trip, was disrepected by security and top Management . No Value for clients Money! Worse SERVICE Disrecpect guest!

Room Tip: Do not stay here!
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled on business

Our number one priority for our guests is their security and safety. Unfortunately in this incident, the client attempted to trespass onto the property by not allowing security to confirm her identity with the guest before allowing access. Management does not regret its tight security measures.