“Fabulous stay at Grendon House”
Review of Grendon House

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Sandton
Grendon House
Ranked #42 of 77 Sandton B&B and Inns
Reading, United Kingdom
“Fabulous stay at Grendon House”
Reviewed April 4, 2012

Wow............... Grendon House is a fabulous place to stay. My husband and I have stayed in many bed & breakfasts around the world and this far outshines all of them. The location, minutes from Sandton is wonderful for great restaurants, shops and the brilliant Rosebank market on Sunday, it is also convenient for the excellent Lion Park should you wish to visit. Kim & John are amazing hosts so friendly, welcoming and very flexible, nothing is too much trouble. They are very helpful with directions around the city and arranging taxis should you need one. Grendon House itself is a real beauty and the rooms beautifully appointed with everything that you would need, there is great attention to detail. Plus you are not confined to your room, there is a lovely terrace in some of the rooms and a wonderful lounge area to read. Breakfast is a sumptuous affair, great choice, very fresh, papers available all in a delightful dining room, really everything you could want. We really enjoyed our time there and would definitely recommend Grendon House, our only disappointment was that we weren't staying longer!!!!!!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Antwerp, Belgium
Reviewed April 2, 2012

I travel a lot for my job and try when I can to stay in an owner managed place where it feels like home but which offers me the same standards as the big international hotels.
Grendon House is by far the best place I ever found to combine both.
It's located 10 minutes away from the center of the biggest business district of Southern Africa (Sandton) but at night, when back home, you enjoy the absolute silence on your private terras with view on the garden.
Kim is a real Cordon Bleu and prepares you the best breakfast of the country and if ordered in advance, cooks for you a perfect dinner.
If you would feel a little bit lonely on a long business trip far away from your family, John would offer you the best conversation you can imagine with a wine you only find in the better cellars.
Dietwin Rossaert
Belgium

• Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed April 1, 2012

My wife and I stayed at Grendon House on a trip from Malawi. We couldn't have been happier! The house itself is set in beautiful grounds and extremely tastefully decorated. Our room was very comfortable with a great king size bed. Best of all was breakfast, with plenty of fresh fruit and excellent scrambled eggs.

Kim was a great host and couldn't have been more attentive to our needs - especially with helping navigating around Johannesburg and helping us pick the best places to eat and visit.

All in all, I would highly recommend Grendon House as the perfect haven in Johannesburg
Peter

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 26, 2010

Myself & a friend, travelling from England, stayed at Grendon House in June 2010, during the Fifa World Cup.

I have travelled across 4 continents globally and I make no exaggeration when I say this was the most pleasant experience I've ever had abroad.

Where to start?

The service
Absolutely outstanding. Second to none. Kim & John could not do enough for me & my friend, restaurant recommendations, lifts into town, safari visits...you name it. Serving us lemonade & sandwiches as we played croquet (very English) in their beautiful garden.

The House
Truely beautiful mansion in a lovely, secure neighbourhood. Our room was spacious & immaculate and the little finishing touches (chocolate & a message on the pillow) completed the look.

The location
lovely safe neighbourhood 5minutes from town in a taxi - what more could you ask for?

Holidaying in South Africa during the World Cup was the best experience of my life & I thank Kim & John at Grendon House for contributing to that wonderful experience - I will definitely be going back.

• Stayed June 2010
Galesville, Maryland
Reviewed November 6, 2010

We lucked into staying in this lovely, over-the-top luxurious guesthouse (mansion, really). Kim and John, the owners, were incredible hosts, and we felt we were visiting friends. When we arrived from Madagascar, Kim had arranged dinner reservations for us at their own favorite restaurants, provided transportation, arranged tours, and welcomed us like long-lost family. Anything you want or might possibly want is taken care of. Their bird-filled garden (a park) is unreal; in fact, the whole atmosphere is amazing. And, oh my, those breakfasts!!!
We traveled with three adults, and we all hope to go back and add on a visit to Kim's Mother's Kruger lodge.

Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
The Hague
Reviewed July 8, 2010

I had the pleasure of staying at Grendon House in March of this year. It is simply an oasis in the high-energy environment of Johannesburg. Nestled in a very secure and green neighborhood, Grendon house is a delightful retreat from the hustle and bustle of the city. The house itself is beautifully designed and sits among beautiful gardens. Guest rooms are elegant, luxurious and private and come with their own well-equiped bathroom. I enjoyed sundowner drinks on the patio overlooking the large outdoor swimming pool, and was served dinner by candlelight. Breakfast is a colorful spread of fruit, cereal, toast, eggs and anything else you may wish for. Last but not least, the delightful owners of Grendon House make you feel so welcome. They enjoy the good life and are a source of information, from great tips on where to wine and dine in Jo'burg, to where to stay in Kruger NP. I felt completely safe in this neighbourhook which is well-protected by private guards. I warmly recommend Grendon House to anyone looking for a luxurious, safe and quiet guesthouse, run by wonderful hosts, in Johannesburg.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled on business