“Good location”

Ranked #12 of 46 Hotels in Sandton
Reviewed March 1, 2014

I stayed here for about a week for a business trip at the Sandton Convention Centre. The hotel stay was great, the location is excellent, the restaurant downstairs was perfect and the amenities were great. The service was decent. There was quite a bit of slowness to our requests and for business, not always a great experience. However, it's an excellent place overall and I would stay here again.

The daily breakfast was phenomenal and it's worth it. The room was excellent - clean, well maintained and room service was great.

I also felt very secured with plenty of guards and secured elevator system.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
Radisson Blu Ga... M, General Manager at Radisson Blu Gautrain Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 4, 2014

Good Day,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write this amazing 5 star Trip Advisor review after your recent stay with us at the Radisson Blu Gautrain Hotel, it is great to see that you enjoyed your stay with us and that your expectations were met.

I are very pleased to hear that you found the quality of our Central One Restaurant of the highest quality, I will be sure to pass your message of compliments to our Executive Chef Stuart Cason and the entire restaurant team.

Once again, thank you very much for making the Radisson Blu Gautrain Hotel your hotel of choice on your recent visit to Johannesburg and we really look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed February 22, 2014

I stayed in Radisson Blu Gautrain Hotel on February 7th. for the weekend. My collegue made the reservation by phone and got a reasonable price. Hotel location is really good just accros the Gautrain station which connects you to Jo´burg, airport and more places. Nelson Mandela square and the shopping mall are minutes away by walking. Incoming traffic was ok on Friday afternoon but my collegue had difficulty in picking me up monday morning because of heavy traffic. Consierge is at the entrance level and reception is at the 1st. floor which looked different than many other hotels. It didnot disturb me though. The consierge was pretty helpful but had difficulty in handing me some Jo´burg maps and giving ideas to get around the city. However they were helpful in connecting me to Red bus Line by phone. Although there is a shuttle sevice to Nelson Mandela square, Sandton and the airport I didnot use this service. I even found a Chabad House leaflet at the consierge and attended the shul in this way. When I checked in, the reception desk fellow had difficulty in locating my reservation but everything was clear in a few seconds. After asking a good view room overlooking the pool and Sandton, they helped me on my request. My room was clean, pleasant and satisfied my expectations. Wifi service was perfect The beds were clean and comfortable. Rainforest type shower in a wide area was quite recreative. Flat screen TV and other amenities were all ok. Sevice was very good. Breakfast was a 5 star hotel breakfast with a good service. I didnot have the chance to dine but the menu looked full. The hotel lobby, poolside were really calming. I hope to visit this hotel again in my next trip to Jo´burg. I strongly recommend this hotel to others because of its price for value, location and service.

Room Tip: ask a room overlooking the pool and Sandton.
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank nkohen
Radisson Blu Ga... M, General Manager at Radisson Blu Gautrain Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 23, 2014

Good Day,

Thank you very much for taking the time to tell us about your recent experience at the Radisson Blu Gautrain Hotel and also for the great recommendation, I am very pleased to hear that you had a great stay with us and that your experience exceeded your expectations.

I have noted your concerns with regards to Johannesburg Maps at our concierge and we will certainly make a plan to provide maps to our concierge.

Once again thank you for selecting the Radisson Blu Gautrain Hotel as your hotel of choice on your recent visit to Johannesburg and we really look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed February 12, 2014

Firstly be aware that there are two Radisson Blu Sandton hotels within a short distance from one another. We of course went to the other one first! The other one is called Radisson Blu Sandton - without the Gautrain. The location is great - walking distance from the Sandton shopping mall and easy to drive out to attractions like Apartheid Museum and Gold Reef City. The rooms are modern and pleasant and reception service very friendly and accommodating. The concierge is on the ground floor and reception on the second floor which I found a bit annoying. Pool looked nice but too cold for us to use. Breakfast was fine but the waiter service was slow. In general a good place to stay as base in Joburg.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank YaelKTelAviv
Radisson Blu Ga... M, General Manager at Radisson Blu Gautrain Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 16, 2014

Good Day.

Thank you very much for making the Radisson Blu Gautrain Hotel your hotel of choice on your recent visit to Johannesburg and also for taking the time to tell us about your experience here on Trip Advisor.

We are very pleased that you had an enjoyable stay with us and that you found our front desk service friendly and helpful - your message of compliments will be passed to them all.

I have noted your concerns with regards to the breakfast service being on the slow side, I will let our restaurant manager know so that training can be put into place to increase service speed.

Thank you for the recommendation and we really look forward to welcome you back to the Radisson Blu Gautrain Hotel in the near future,

Reviewed February 10, 2014 via mobile

I had an excellent experience at this hotel. After an initial hiccup, where my booking did not show up in the hotel's system, I received a free upgrade (possibly by virtue of my Club Carlson gold status) and was able to access my room immediately - at 9.30am - which was a godsend after a long overnight flight from London.

Contrary to some of the previous comments, below, I found the wifi to be pretty strong and reliable (sufficient for me to stream video with no problem) and both the restaurant and housekeeping service to be extremely attentive.

The room was very comfortable and impeccably clean - easily 4.5 star quality. The location was brilliant - in the plush suburb of Sandton, directly opposite the Gautrain station (allowing easy, cheap and quick access to the airport) and a short 5 minute walk from the huge Mandela Square shopping complex.

This hotel was recommended to me by friends and I, in turn, would thoroughly recommend it to others. If I were to return to Joburg, it would be the first place I would look to stay.

• Stayed: February 2014
1  Thank ashmidalia
Radisson Blu Ga... M, General Manager at Radisson Blu Gautrain Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 12, 2014

Good Day,

Thank you very much for making the Radisson Blu Gautrain your hotel of choice on your recent visit to Johannesburg and also for the excellent review and recommendation.

It is really great to hear that you had a great experience with us and I will make sure to pass your message of compliments to the entire Radisson Blu Gautrain Hotel team.

Once again, thank you very much for staying with us and we really look forward to welcoming you back to the Radisson Blu Gautrain Hotel in the very near future.

Radisson Blu Gautrain

Reviewed February 8, 2014

The hotel has a nice design interior and comfortable rooms. The service in any respect is very slow. The breakfast is sub-standard. The location is really good.
Wifi reception is poor al through the hotel.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank Michael D
Radisson Blu Ga... M, General Manager at Radisson Blu Gautrain Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 10, 2014

Good Day,

Thank you very much for staying at the Radisson Blu Gautrain Hotel on your recent visit to Johannesburg and also for telling us about your stay here on Trip Advisor.

We are sorry to hear that your stay with us did not meet your expectations and will certainly address all your concerns with the relevant heads of departments to make sure that your concerns are addressed so that it does not happen to any future guests.

Once again, thank you for staying with us and we really look forward to welcoming you back to the Radisson Blu Gautrain Hotel in the very near future,

Reviewed February 5, 2014

I recently stayed here for three nights and have mixed feelings... The good points were the extremely friendly service from all personnel from arrival at the concierge desk and reception until check out (more about that later). I was relieved that even though I was arriving in the morning on an overnight flight from Germany, I was allowed to occupy my room immediately so that I could get some sleep. The room itself was well appointed, clean, with all the usual mod cons including large, flat screen interactive TV and essential tea/coffee making facilities. I liked the ability to be able to stand under the rainforest type shower and still watch the telly in the bedroom.
I didn't use many of the other hotel facilities except the free shuttle service to nearby restaurants and paid limo service from the airport and to my place of work. Excellent!
The location close to a Gautrain station and the shopping centre with Nelson Mandela square was great!
I enjoyed the expansive breakfast on two occasions having previously checked that it was included in the room rate. Imagine my horror, therefore when confronted with hefty charges for breakfast when checking out. I was annoyed (and that's putting it mildly). The kind and considerate check out clerk sympathised and admitted that this was an error but that his hands were tied. Printing out my invoice was also a major challenge - in fact I went behind the desk to help him. The software set up seemed to allow not ability to print out a bill to conform with basic company standards.
These last few minutes of bad experience turned the whole stay sour in my opinion. Would I come again? Not until they get their charges and communication of same sorted out. Pity!

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank Eyekaytoo

Good Day,

Thank you very much for making the Radisson Blu Gautrain Hotel your home away from home on your recent visit to Johannesburg and also for taking the time to tell us about your experience here on Trip Advisor.

Thank you very much for the compliments on our staff here at the Radisson Blu Gautrain Hotel - I will be sure to pass the message of compliments to the entire team.

It saddens us that your check out experience soured your stay with us, I will investigate this matter and assure you that we will do the required upgrades and training to make sure that this matter does not happen again.

Once again I would like to say sorry for the negative ending to your stay and I really hope that you give the Radisson Blu Gautrain Hotel another chance.

Reviewed February 4, 2014

I stayed here for a week from 8th to 16th November 2013 and had a marvelous time with my son. The hotel was lovely and neat. The health club and pool was ok. Very friendly and welcoming staff who were ready to assist any time. The food was excellent expecially the buffet breakfast having the chef special.

Room Tip: Upper floor rooms give you a good view of Sandton
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
Radisson Blu Ga... M, General Manager at Radisson Blu Gautrain Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 5, 2014

Good Day,

Firstly we would like to thank you very much for making the Radisson Blu Gautrain your hotel of choice on your recent visit to Johannesburg and also for taking the time to tell us about your experience here on Trip Advisor.

We are very pleased to hear that you had an enjoyable stay with us and that you loved our breakfast buffet in our Central One Restaurant and we will certainly pass your message of compliments onto our Executive Chef Stuart Cason.

Once again, thank you very much selecting the Radisson Blu Gautrain Hotel and we really look forward to welcoming you back in the very near future.