“Ejected”

Ranked #12 of 46 Hotels in Sandton
Reviewed December 11, 2013

Absolutely shocking experience when I was unceremoniously ejected from the hotel so that they could charge a premium rate to all the dignitaries pouring into Johannesburg to take selfies of themselves at Nelson Mandela's funeral. I thought that this lack of any care to a paying customer and frequent user of this chain of hotels was apalling.

The staff made no effort to help find alternative accommodation and made up lies about the situation in Sandton over the weekend. They informed me that all hotels would be booked up and that all hotels were obliged to make their rooms available, on top of this they told me that the area would be in 'lock down'. None of the above was true, I was able to travel freely around Sandton and quickly found a much nicer hotel. This was proof enough to me that they were simply making a fast buck.

Aside from this the hotel was formulaic and stale. There is little character and, as I mentioned, the staff were not welcoming.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank TPH88
Radisson Blu Ga... M, General Manager at Radisson Blu Gautrain Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 11, 2013

Good Day,

Firstly we would like to apologise for the unforeseen circumstance that took place over this weekend and in particular with your stay, as you mentioned in your review we had to relocate you to another hotel due to the unprecedented demand and safety and security alerts received.

According to your review it mentions that the staff did not assist in making alternate accommodation bookings for you, the entire team was briefed and other hotels were on standby for us to call them for alternate accommodation options for each and every guest, also as a courtesy we arranged complimentary transport to the different hotel once the alternate accommodation was booked and confirmed by our team. Please would it be possible to provide us with some feedback on the process which you encountered as we would like to investigate this matter further as the team was booking hotels for all the affected guests.

Under normal circumstances bookings which have been confirmed and paid for should not have been affected however due to this circumstance we had to make alternate accommodation arrangements for you as well as arrange and cover all transport which was required to get to the alternate accommodation which was part of our service to you and each of the guests affected by this unforeseen situation. It is understandable that the process of moving to another hotel is not ideal as your hopes were set on staying with us however it was anticipated the Sandton area was due to be shutdown and become inaccessible for corporate and leisure travel during this time and we took this into consideration whilst sourcing alternate accommodation.

Radisson Blu Gautrain Hotel values each and every one of our guests and clients and would really appreciate it if you could please send me a email directly so that we can continue this conversation in order to come to a solution and a way for us to make this right, please make use of this email address to have direct contact with me mark.wernich@radissonblu.com and I will happily assist with any further questions which you might have with regard to this matter.

Once again we would really like to apologise for any inconvenience and we really look forward to hearing from you.

Reviewed December 9, 2013

We were already in the hotel and asked to leave on the 7th after reading a letter placed in the room on the 6th. The letter stated a lock down, unsafe to travel, no other accommodation available in Sandton, We thought we would have to go home. Seems they were not only discouraging corporate business in their hotel, but ensuring their competition within the entire Sandton region would not benefit. We had till 12 pm to remove ourselves. We spoke with 2 managers and the Marketing Manager who finally said they would arrange rooms at another hotel. The Marketing Manager said the rooms are booked. We decided to call back during our work period and confirm the rooms, but the Marketing Manager did not answer nor call back. So we sought alternative accommodation. Funnily Radisson claimed a lock down, which we haven't seen yet, travel was unhindered and there was no difficulty getting another hotel. Surely for the benefit of South African tourism they could have promoted the location and not produced a letter installing fear and turning people away from the hotel and Sandton. On a good note they were more than generous by waiving the cancellation fee, so glad as I had 12 nights already booked.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business
3  Thank j p

Good Day,

We do understand that you are very frustrated by what happened during your visit and in sourcing alternate accommodation and I was assured that all alternate accommodation was arranged for you accordingly as well as the transport from our hotel to the alternate hotel.

Reviewed December 8, 2013

I thought I would share an extremely irritating and disappointing experience I had with the Radisson Blu Gaintrain Hotel this weekend.

My wife and I had booked a two night stay at the hotel (6th and 7th December) – the booking was made and confirmed on 28 November 2013.

On arrival at the hotel on the evening of the 6th we were given a letter stating that the hotel is cancelling all confirmed bookings from the 7th to 21st December in light of the tragic passing of Nelson Mandela to “make space for foreign delegates”. The letter went on to warn travellers that Sandton and the surroundings will be in lock down from the 7th and no public transport, banks etc will be in operation – the area is to be avoided at all costs! We stayed at another hotel in Sandton on the Saturday night and moved around freely, drew money, took the Gautrain etc. No problem at all.

Our booking for the 7th was revoked and we were thrown out onto the street with no compensation, no apology and no recommendation for alternate accommodation – a very insensitive and selfish act in light of the fact that our country is in mourning over the passing of Tata Madiba. Unceremoniously kicking SA citizens out to make space for foreign delegates (appears to be Obama and his entourage) in a time where South Africans are standing together to celebrate the life of our country’s hero is a despicable act which can only be fuelled by the Radisson Blu’s greed and potential to profit financially.

Last time I checked, a Hotel’s main priority should be its guests. It seems that the Radisson Blu Gautrain has no regard whatsoever for its guests and is only a money hungry, insensitive corporate machine taking advantage of our county’s period of mourning. Ironically, their Twitter and Facebook pages featured an obituary stating that their thoughts and prayers are with the people of South Africa at this difficult time – nice touch, however, clearly not the case.

Further to that, my bill had R330 for breakfast, which was "included" in the rate.. A final nail in the coffin for a terrible experience. Last time I stay at a Radisson Blu.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank brjohns

Good Day,

We really do understand the frustration that this has caused for you on your visit to Johannesburg and we are truly sorry for this, we have also noticed your comments on the various social media accounts and will respond to these as soon as our social media black out period has been completed which is on Monday.

Reviewed December 8, 2013 via mobile

I booked a nine night reservation here in mid-November. This was paid for in full so the reservation could not be cancelled by me. I arrived at the hotel on Sun 8th Dec after a 10 hour flight and was informed that i had no room as they were fully booked. I thought they were joking but the clerk on the check-in desk advised that on Friday 7th the hotel had been put in a security zone for the arriving funeral guests and dignitaries. Even though the hotel knew on the 7th no one had the courtesy of informing me or even finding alternative accomodation before i arrived. I find it unbelievable that the hotel only started to look for alternative accomodation when i arrived. I had stayed in the hotel previously for 7 nights in August and can't believe the treatment that i received from a supposedly top hotel chain! Don't expect a room here even if you have paid in full because they will try and sell it to a higher bidder!

Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank Hebrides2012

Good Day,

Firstly we would like to apologies for the unforeseen circumstance that took place over this weekend and in particular with your stay, as you mentioned in your review we had to relocate you to another hotel due to the unprecedented demand and safety and security alerts received.

All the necessary communication measures were put into place to try and communicate with you before your arrival to inform you about the situation and the alternate accommodation which we had arranged for you, as mentioned in your review you said you were not contacted and we would like to apologies for this as we tried to make this process as seamless as possible.

Once again we would really like to apologies for any inconvenience and we really look forward to hearing from you.

Reviewed December 3, 2013

When passing the entrance to the hotel there is no space to pull in to off-load your luggage to one of the many porters standing there. I went to try and get a basement parking place and there was no parking!!! Plus, there were no porters!! When I eventually found parking, the actual parking spaces are so small that if you have an SUV it is almost impossible to get your SUV into the parking space and either you, or the person next to you won't be able to get in or out of their car! The reception area was an absolute shambles with it being part of the seating area. About a week prior to our arrival, I had done an EFT for half the amount of our stay. Before I even arrived I had 3 emails querying this. I replied to all 3 emails trying to explain the situation and there was still no understanding. When I booked in there was still confusion about this and when I checked
out there was STILL confusion about this. Our room was nice enough. The room service was very good and so was the food. We have stayed at the Radisson Blu Sandton which is down the road from this hotel and it was excellent. I would not stay here again.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
Radisson Blu Ga... M, General Manager at Radisson Blu Gautrain Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 3, 2013

Good Day,

Thank you very much for making the Radisson Blu Gautrain Hotel your hotel of choice on your recent visit to Johannesburg and also for taking the time to tell us about your experience here on Trip Advisor.

We are very sorry to hear that all your expectations were not met during your stay and we have taken your comments very seriously and each will be discussed with the relevant Head of Departments.

With regards to the parking situation at our hotel, we are a multipurpose building which is home to numerous offices, car rentals as well as our hotel so the availability of parking at the hotel could be an issue, we will make sure to communicate this in a better manner to all our guests so that the awareness of this issue is known.

Once again, thank you for staying at the Radisson Blu Gautrain Hotel - we really hope that you would give us another chance to make it right and show you what the Radisson Blu Gautrain service levels really are.

Reviewed November 27, 2013

Very nice hotel very well located in Sandton, one of the best places in Johannesburg. Very good breakfast with many options. Nice and large rooms. Friendly staff. Only the check in is a little confuse.

Room Tip: Ask to stay at one of the business room
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank VHIAJANTE
Radisson Blu Ga... M, General Manager at Radisson Blu Gautrain Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 28, 2013

Good Day,

Firstly we would like to thank you for selecting the Radisson Blu Gautrain Hotel as your hotel of choice on your recent visit to Johannesburg and also for taking the time to give us this great review!

It is great to hear that you found our staff very friendly, we will be sure to pass your message of compliments on to the entire team here at the Radisson Blu Gautrain Hotel.

We have noted your comment with regards to check in and this has been sent to the relevant Head of Department.

Once again thank you for choosing the Radisson Blu Gautrain Hotel and we really look forward to welcoming you back in the very near future.

Reviewed November 26, 2013

Stayed here for a couple of nights recently - and would definitely go back. It's conveniently located just across from the Gautrain station and Sandton is easily accessible. The staff are friendly, professional and helpful. The rooms - well maintained, although the "wet room" style shower/bath combo in my room was a little odd. There are a lot of hotels in and around Sandton - and out of the ones I've stayed in to date this is by far my favourite. The lounge / lobby / terrace area is particularly lovely and a great place to pass some time... Minor niggles - the hotel is very popular for conferences and gets extremely busy; room service menu (I would only ever use this whilst travelling on business) is limited.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
Radisson Blu Ga... M, General Manager at Radisson Blu Gautrain Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 27, 2013

Good Day,

Thank you very much for selecting the Radisson Blu Gautrain Hotel as your hotel of choice on your recent visit to Johannesburg and also for taking the time to give us this great review.

As mentioned there are many hotels in Sandton and we are very pleased that you would recommend us based on your recent experience, we will make sure to pass your message of compliments to the entire team here at the Radisson Blu Gautrain Hotel.

Once again, thank you very much for staying with us and we really look forward to welcoming you back to the Radisson Blu Gautrain Hotel in the very near future.