“It is the little things that count”

Radisson Blu Gautrain Hotel
Ranked #11 of 48 Hotels in Sandton
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
“It is the little things that count”
Reviewed May 21, 2013

I arrived very early in the morning - before published check-in time, but had been booked into the Radisson Blu, Sandton, as opposed to Gautrain. As my colleague was also staying at the Gautrain; it seemed pretty pointless going to the other hotel. I was a bit disappointed that I had to pick up my luggage to make the trip to the Radisson Blu Sandton, when up stepped Bernard who not only arranged me a room at that time of the morning; he also cancelled my room at the other hotel, arranged for my suit and shirt to be pressed; and remembered personal details about me.

The stay was very pleasant; and the staff extremely courteous, professional and helpful. As a first timer in Jo'burg, my stay at the hotel made a lasting impression of South African hospitality.

Will stay again... No doubt!!

Room Tip: Be pleasant and you will reap the rewards...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Radisson Blu Ga... M, General Manager at Radisson Blu Gautrain Hotel, responded to this review, May 22, 2013
Dear BlakNyte
Thank you for sharing your positive experience at Radisson Blu Gautrain Hotel with fellow travelers. It was truly our pleasure that we were able to assist you with your requirements and have the opportunity to introduce you to our "Yes I Can" ethos.
We look forward to welcoming you back to Johannesburg and Radisson Blu Gautrain Hotel in the future.
Acting General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (165)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
Cape Town
Reviewed May 20, 2013

The hotel is conveniently located opposite the Gautrain station, as the name suggests, making it easy to reach from O.R Tambo International airport. Sandton City mall is a short walk away offering a wide variety of shops and restaurants. The hotel offers a complimentary shuttle service within a 3km radius. If you do not feel for walking you can simply arrange a ride with reception.

After reading a couple of worrying reviews on Tripadvisor I have decided to confirm my reservation with the hotel a couple of days before arrival. I have experienced no hassles at all. Checking in and out went smooth and staff were professional and helpful at all times.

The business room I have stayed in met my expectations offering a large, comfortable bed with good quality linen, a television with a good choice of channels, safe, robe and slippers. The bath is a bit small but the shower area makes up for that. It is a business hotel after all and not a holiday resort. I am not sure whether anyone stayed in rooms adjacent to mine or whether the rooms are sound proofed, but fortunately I was not disturbed by any noise.

The free wifi came in handy although reception was better in some parts of the room than others which was not ideal but in the main not a problem. Sometimes I simply had to move around to get a connection and was then able to make myself comfortable again.

Breakfast was lovely with a wide spread to choose from. Staff were friendly, helpful and efficient.

The hotel has a "token" pool located opposite reception. I would not want to walk through the reception area with my bathing suit/ towelling gown or swim in full view of waiting guests or those using the hotel for meetings. Again, it is a business hotel and not a resort. The pool is probably more for "atmosphere"? The gym has a good selection of equipment, a lovely view from the 10th floor and offers more privacy to hotel guests than the pool area.

I cannot fault the hotel and have had a very pleasant stay. Although I prefer the Radisson Sandton down the road, I will stay at this hotel again.

1 Thank Daniel-CPT
Radisson Blu Ga... M, General Manager at Radisson Blu Gautrain Hotel, responded to this review, May 21, 2013
Dear Daniel-CPT
Thank you for your submission on tripadvisor. Your detailed review on your experience at Radisson Blu Gautrain Hotel will most certainly assist other visitors to the area. Your review also highlights the importance of social media in deciding on a hotel selection.
Our location, ease of access and transport options is most certainly key to many travelers and we are pleased that you also found these beneficial during your visit.
We apologize for the problems experienced with our internet connection; this is something we are currently working on in conjunction with our service provider.
We are pleased that generally you had a positive experience at Radisson Blu Gautrain Hotel and we look forward to welcoming you back.
Kin Regards
Gloucester, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 15, 2013

My first trip to South Africa so having read numerous warnings about security I hoped this hotel would be at least safe. Need not have worried, there is security in several stages and you would have to be staff to get to the rooms as there is 24 hour security to the lifts to the rooms and you need a valid key card to get the lifts to move to the rooms.
The food is really first class, a top chef with experience at many of the top sandton hotels, prices are good too, R145 for a good steak.
Rooms are very modern, bright, clean and they turn the room around each night with free water and some chocolate.
Reception can be a little slow to deal with issues but to be fair they do eventually get back to you and I had no complaints about this. One thing to point out is that the road outside seems to be busy 24 hours a day and there was road noise in my room, also there is a taxi area on the opposite side of the street and during the night you can hear concierge shouting instructions to them so if you need to sleep in a library then avoid the "front side of the hotel"

Room Tip: avoid rooms that face onto the pool as the taxi drivers have very loud conversations 24 hrs a day!
Dear Darren S
Welcome to Mzansi, we are delighted to host you in our beautiful country. We are pleased to see that you researched your options and that we were able to allay any concerns regarding your safety and security whilst at Radisson Blu Gautrain Hotel.
We agree, our food is "top notch" and we are proud to have an award winning chef on our team ensuring all tastes are catered for.
We admit that a drawback of being a "city centre" hotel is that at times we need to contend with surrounding noises, but this also reminds us that we are truly in the heart of it all.
In closing thank you for your review and taking the trip to South Africa, we look forward to hosting you again if the opportunity presents itself.
Reviewed May 13, 2013

I'm currently attending week long course at the conference centre.

The food is good and staff friendly.

Fast internet advertisement could however not be futher from the truth. A great deal of the course work requires an internet connection and all attendees find this extremely furstrating.

• Stayed May 2013
Radisson Blu Ga... M, General Manager at Radisson Blu Gautrain Hotel, responded to this review, May 15, 2013
Greetings DawieWentzel
Thank you for taking the time to write about your experience at Radisson Blu Gautrain Hotel.
It is unfortunate that our internet service is not meeting your requirements. On receipt of your review we tested our wireless service which is used by our conference delegates. The speed of this was, 11.78mbps download and a 11.22mbps upload. The speed of the service is however also dependant on our service provider. We appreciate that reliable internet speed is a must have for conference delegates and we will continue to monitor the situation in conjunction with our service partners.
We are pleased to read that our facilities and food compliment your conference experience at Radisson Blu Gautrain Hotel.
Reviewed May 9, 2013

Great stay. Fantastic amenities. We were here for our honeymoon and were welcomed to a room with rose petals strewn about in the shape of hearts around the room. and a cute petit fours spread. Very lovely.

I wouldn't recommend staying in Joburg that long as there isn't much to do, but our stay was really close to mandela square with a decent selection of restaurants. It's walking distance. The hotel doesn't recommend that you walk anywhere really, but I felt rather safe walking to mandela square and to the sandton mall. However, one night we did decide to venture a bit further out (about a mile away from the hotel by foot) and i understood why they suggest taxi travel for the most part. It got really dark, and seedy and a bit scary!.
I don't know the price comparison between taxis and their car service, it's likely a bit more expensive, but their drivers are all delightful. We had Joe for 2 rides and he was fantastic.

Also, I would recommend that you book tours separately from the hotel. If you do a quick price comparison, they mark most prices up almost 4x!! kind of ridiculous.

Otherwise, service is great, breakfast spread is the best I've seen, and people are very helpful!
Also it's located caddy corner from the Gautrain exit, making it super easy to get to and from the airport!
Would recommend this hotel to friends!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Radisson Blu Ga... M, General Manager at Radisson Blu Gautrain Hotel, responded to this review, May 12, 2013
Dear ayh210
Thank you for your review and congratulations once again on your nuptials. We are pleased to read that you enjoyed your experience at Radisson Blu Gautrain Hotel and that they staff and service lived up to our "Yes I Can" philosophy.
We are sure that you appreciate that we hold our guest safety and comfort close to our heart and thus we provide a complimentary shuttle within a 3 kilometer radius of the hotel to ensure both. Although cheaper transport and tour alternatives are available, the hotels does partner with reputable licensed companies that are vetted, to ensure our guest comfort and safety. We will also ensure that Joe receives your kind comments regarding his service.
The Super Breakfast is a unique service concept of Radisson Blu Hotels and we are pleased that you found the selection to your taste.
We look forward to having the opportunity to welcome you back to Radisson Blu Gautrain Hotel in the near future.
Rabat
Reviewed May 8, 2013

I stayed with my wife for one week in this hotel. I booked a room with a kingsize bed, but was given a small room with two beds put together. The bed was not comfortable. The room was at the 3rd floor, and all I could view from the window was a new building under construction. Hotel location is fine, but not great...Area seemed safe but hotel staff advised us to come back to hotel no later than 4:00 PM for security reasons!!!
The staff at the reception were not friendly.
Advantages: Food was perfect, especially breakfast.
Taxis are available but are a bit expensive. A metro station is about 150 meters away from the hotel. Hotel has free shuttle to a nearby mall at your demand.
Disadvantages:
1- Security concerns inside and outside the hotel. Somebody stole my wife's makeup and shampoo !!
2- Staff at reception are not friendly,
3- Pool is too small, and not heated,
4- The AC was noisy.
5- Hotel room keys are electronic, you will be told they are valid for your entire stay but in fact they are valid for only one day, and you will have to update them daily (what a burden!!)
in total, I will not stay again in this hotel.

Room Tip: Stay at floor 7 and up.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Radisson Blu Ga... M, General Manager at Radisson Blu Gautrain Hotel, responded to this review, May 9, 2013
Dear Ahmed A
Thank you for taking the time to place your review on Tripadvisor. As a hotel and a group we agree that at no time is unfriendly or impolite service from staff ever acceptable. We will ensure that we focus on this area of our guest service.
I am sure that you will appreciate that our guest safety and security is of our utmost priority and we will always urge our guest to be vigilant and act in a safe manner. I also read that you state items went missing from your room. I have met with our housekeeping and security department and no reports of this nature were received for your period of stay. If you did report the matter please may I request that you contact me directly so that I may follow up?
Having reviewed your reservation it was noted that the room allocated was according to the schedule supplied by the group coordinator, our apology if we could not assist with your request for a "king" room.
We are pleased to note that you did enjoy the food prepared by our award winning chef, highlighting the areas which we are further enhancing.
As you mention, the electronic key cards are encoded for the duration of a guests stay. It is unfortunate to read that during your stay this did not function as required. Unfortunately many reasons exist for the possible failure of the electronic key cards we apologize for the inconvenience caused to you.
We again thank you for your feedback and although we did not provide the experience to which we strive, we are grateful for highlighting the areas where we can improve upon.
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed May 4, 2013

Had booked and paid months in advance for rooms at Ridsoon Blu Gautrain (RBG). Arrived after long international flight to be told they had no room and were sending us to another hotel, but this was not with our group or any use to us as we were being picked up early next morning from the RBG . They knew they had overbooked beforehand (we know this as this happened to others inour group who arrived before us) but had made no attempt to contact us prior to our arriving at the hotel. We spent literally hours standing at reception with them trying to figure out what to do with us. They apologised, yes, but not even an offer of a cup of tea/drink/ or seat/ free meal or anythgong of substance while we waited for them to fix up thiscomplete stuff up of their own making. The worst hotel I have ever been to. Don't book at RBG or trust that you have a booking there even if you have pre-paid.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank RNSYD
Radisson Blu Ga... M, Manager at Radisson Blu Gautrain Hotel, responded to this review, November 14, 2013
Good Day,

Firstly we would like to thank you for staying at the Radisson Blu Gautrain Hotel when you visited Johannesburg.

We would like to apologies for the delay in response to your Trip Advisor review, we have just recently changed team and we have new management as well as hotel practices in place.

When you visit Johannesburg again please use the Radisson Blu Gautrain Hotel as your hotel of choice and come and experience what "Yes I Can" service is really about.

We hope to welcome you back very soon.

Mark Wernich