“Convenient, but nothing special”

Ranked #9 of 47 Hotels in Sandton
Reviewed September 30, 2012

This is a good quality 5-star hotel with an extremely convenient location right opposite the Gautrain Station in Sandton. Not having to rent a car and easy access to the airport is a certain plus.

Unfortunately the hotel is cold and lacking charm. Service is efficient, rooms are comfortable and the food is tasty - but the entire experience feels devoid of anyone really caring about the guests. There is neither the feeling of "coming home", nor the need to call anything "superb". It's just another anonymous luxury business hotel. And to be honest, at the rates charged it's not that luxurious either.

Most annoying was that the suite I stayed in had terrible lighting, an extremely uncomfortable writing chair and a tiny desk. As a business hotel this is not excusable. Despite paying high rates for a business hotel room I ended up doing my work in the fantastic SLOW in the city lounge in the same building as the hotel room was just too painful.

The lounge food was quite good, but breakfast was once again lack lustre. Nothing interesting or exciting and most items pretty dull (felt like canteen catering). I have heard great things about David Higgs's new restaurant, but didn't get to try it.

Great location, fantastic potential, but devoid of care.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank kobuse
Radisson Blu Ga... M, Manager at Radisson Blu Gautrain Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 15, 2013

Good Day,

Firstly we would like to thank you for staying at the Radisson Blu Gautrain Hotel when you visited Johannesburg.

We would like to apologies for the delay in response to your Trip Advisor review, we have just recently changed team and we have new management as well as hotel practices in place.

When you visit Johannesburg again please use the Radisson Blu Gautrain Hotel as your hotel of choice and come and experience what "Yes I Can" service is really about.

Radisson Blu Gautrain Hotel

Write a ReviewReviews (1,244)

Reviewed September 24, 2012

This hotel is perfect fro anyone staying in Sandton. I would recommend getting the Gautrain from the airport only 115 rand, much cheaper and easier than a taxi or hire car.

The train station is directly opposite the hotel, the entire trip from Airport to hotel checkin was less than 30 mins.

Once in the hotel - there are several hire car companies (budget) and there is plenty of parking.

The hotel is clean and tidy and staff friendly. Although the bar and restaurant are a little on the pricey side - but Mandela square is a 5 minute walk away.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business

Reviewed September 17, 2012

The location of the hotel- wins it most of the points, just across the Gautrain station. Very centrally located. Checkin was a breeze, did ask for a early checkin and I did get it. However this is when I noticed- the guy helping me check in did not smile. Now don't get me wrong- I am not a person, who has high social needs. But in the service industry, I expect people to smile and welcome you. Clearly a hotel is supposed to be a home away from home, no??

However got to my room and I loved it- very modern room. The glass water bottles and the chocolate on the bed- was amazing. Did order room service and it came in a jiffy. My bedside phone was not working, got the room changed in 15 minutes (need the bed side phone, to take calls from bed- hate getting up to another phone).

Anyways- the hotel guys, helped to hook me on with a local taxi for my meeting. Needless to say, the taxi was very expensive. Seems like- the hotel concierge, has some tie ups with the taxi guys, as they were not recommending the local registered taxies. I had a meal in the resturant and few breakfasts as well. I noticed again- no one is smiling. Clearly, I do not feel very welcome here. The ladies, who were managing breakfast- did not even bother to ask for tea/coffee. On the weekend I needed to check on few, things to do and I went back to the reception and again- someone else, but no smile again. The concierge, does a very effective job- on hooking you up with a tour plan- but do not give you any suggestions, if you want to walk around or if you want to just do stuff outside of the planned tours. On check out . . surprise- the guy smiles!! The property and rooms rooms deserve a four star, the house keeping was first class as well. But someone needs to work on the staff, who is in contact with the guests.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
Radisson Blu Ga... M, General Manager at Radisson Blu Gautrain Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 15, 2013

Reviewed September 16, 2012

This hotel has a comfy contemporary style and I just love its rooms.
Good shower, separated from the room by a glass, good bed and excellent pillows.

The service is fast, efficient and I was always very well served.
The free internet is fast and works properly.

Breakfast is fantastic. High quality and huge variety. What about some honey straight from the comb?
The same restaurants also serves a gourmet dinner. I recommend it the chicken salad and the gnocchi with lamb.

Good location. Hotel is in a walking distance from Nelson Mandela square and its restaurants, and just accross the street from Gautrain station.

Gym: Poor one. A improvement on their Gym is definitely needed.

Prices are high.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business

Reviewed September 14, 2012

Very good business amenities - nice clean room, free Internet and spacious work desk. The staff is very courteous & eager to help. I initially got a room ( 5th floor) overlooking a construction site and was woken up by building sounds at 7 am - look out for this. The hotel was tight on availability but they switched me to a junior suite on the 8th floor, this was done as we were a large party & had booked 35 rooms. The breakfast buffet is a large spread with a variety of hot & cold options. The only thing I would like improved is more free mineral water, the hotel provides minuscule bottles but the staff is willing to provide more on request. Exercise room is adequate with three treadmills, two ellipticals, three cycles and free weights. Strangely they have two bench press stations but no other exercise machines.

Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business

Reviewed September 6, 2012

I booked on line as I was in town for one night only. The hotel is right across the Sandton Gautrain station and you can walk to and from the station. The check in was quick, efficient and friendly. The rooms as spacious and the showers are stunning with good water pressure. The chocolate on the pillow was also a nice touch.

Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business

Reviewed September 3, 2012

We spent only 1 day (my husband's birthday) in town so we decided to make the best out of it and asked for a 5h guided tour in the city. Agreed with the concierge to pay 150USD. Concierge arranged us a car ....turned out, his shady friend, who showed up with a 20yearold car that didnt have rearview mirror and its windscreen was broken!
Not only our safety, but this guy had no idea about the city and hardly said anything to us during the whole time just cruising around the city. He turned on the music in the car to entertain us ! I had to tell him to turn it down so as least I could talk to my husband.
Instead of 5h he dropped us off after 3h demanding his 150USD for the services he provided! When we gave him 100USD and told him how disappointed we were he started to complain that from this amount he cant give "the cut" to hotel concierge!!!!
We complained to the duty manager right away, the hotel manager later on and all we got is a sorry, we will investigate.....more than a month ago!
Honestly....how long does it take to find a friend of your stuff and report both to the police ? And what kind of hotel accepts this illegal work ?
Looks like this hotel got a pretty irresponsible management and even when they are given the facts to help them .....they chose to go and enjoy their holidays!!!
Im just glad nothing happened to us in that car ....

Room Tip: unfortunately not in this hotel, not with this service.... the hotel is in the middle of nothing and...