“Going down”

Ranked #27 of 48 Hotels in Sandton
Harare
“Going down”
Reviewed November 16, 2012

This hotel is ideal if you want a place for a basic sleep. It has modern facilities and its newly built, but its starting to suffer from signs of neglect albeit its young age. It has a great location if you having meetings in Sandton area, and it is close to the Gautrain and shopping malls. First I booked a transfer from the airport and the driver was late, and said that he was given the call very late by the hotel, despite that I had called quite early to book my transfer. The facilities at the hotel are still fairly new and modern, and the gym is basic but ok for cardio. The restaurant standards have really gone down from my last stay 12 months ago. On the dinner buffet there was fruit salad and cakes but without cream!!! I had to make a request from the chef and after about 10 minutes he brought it. On the breakfast there was very limited selection to choose from especially on the meat. A lady was busy cleaning a few centimetres from my feet while I was having my meal and i found it very disturbing. They need to start taking guests seriously!!!

Room Tip: Choose a room with free WiFi
1 Thank Lewis C
Parkinn118, Front Office Manager at Park Inn Sandton, responded to this review, November 20, 2012
Dear Valued Guest,
Thank you for your valued comments which have been addressed with the relevant department heads as for these issues not to happen again . Please let me assure you this is not our usual standard that we like to portray to our guests.
Front Office Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (157)
Geneva, Switzerland
Reviewed November 14, 2012

THE GOOD:
Overall a good hotel. Room was big and modern. Funky modern design. Located in Sandton. Not far from shopping centers. Hotel provides free shuttle to shopping center and restaurants in Sandton.
Service was overall very good. Free wifi was provided for my group! Reception was helpful in booking day trips to Apartheid museum, Lyon Park, etc.
Breakfast had a wide variety of fruits, an egg station, varied bread options and cheese. Lunch and dinner was nothing special. I would suggest exploring restaurants nearby.
THE NOT SO GOOD:
While you are serving your food or eating, people were constantly cleaning the floor and interrupting the already cluttered traffic in the restaurant. Not very hygienic to do this.
Pool is tiny. More like a big jacuzzy. Gym was very basic; but ppl could go to the big Radisson not too far away.
One day while we were having lunch there was a very loud noise. It turns out the terrace outside of the restaurant sunk a bit. There was construction right next door. It made me a bit nervous for the stability of the whole structure. There was a crack on the concrete….

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Parkinn118, Front Office Manager at Park Inn Sandton, responded to this review, November 26, 2012
We would like to take this opportunity to Thank you for taking the time to send us your valued comments and trust we may welcome you back in the not too distant future.
Royal Tunbridge Wells, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 12, 2012

The location of this hotel is very affluent and probably the safest in Jo'burg. Facilities are a bit on basic side but very modern and clean. Hotel bar spills into lobby which spills into lounge area and a restaurant area. Pool area again is basic, a bit small but nicely designed and comfortable for an hour or so, unfortunately positioning of hotel casts a shadow over it for large parts of day. Rooms again are quite basic but nicely modern and clean with a.c. and large flat screen TV. Nice restaurants (steak & Greek) round he corner of hotel are a great asset.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for your valued comments.
We trust that we will be able to welcome you back in the not too distant future
Johannesburg, South Africa
Reviewed November 1, 2012

After reading the poor reviews regarding the Park Inn Sandton I was very hesitant to book into this hotel. However I was pleasantly surprised. My experience was completely different. I was warmly welcomed by the front desk staff, who had my room ready and after very little formalities I had checked into a spacious non smoking room. All the meals that I ate at the hotel were scrumptious and not expensive. A buffet breakfast was included in my rate and was delicious. The restaurant service was great with friendly, smiling waiters. The bar service could be improved. I utilised the free shuttle service to Sandton City Shopping Centre and found it a useful addition to my stay. As a 3/4 star hotel this facility offers 5 star service and I would definitely recommend and stay at this hotel again.

Room Tip: My room only had a shower and if you dont like showering I think one can request a room with a bath.
Dear Valued Guest,
We would really like to Thank You for your very pleasant most valued comments on our Hotel and appreciate the time you took to write about your stay. We most certainly hope we are able to welcome you back in the not too distant future.
London
Reviewed October 28, 2012

Have just spent 2 days at the Park Inn. My room was extremely comfortable and would love to have taken home the bed. Had the best sleep and woke up feeling refreshed. The buffet breakfast was great, From fresh fruit to cereals, to hot dishes. A wonderful variety. After a hard day of meetings and training it was great to come back to the hotel and have a couple of drinks at the bar and unwind. The hotel offers "Happy Hour" so the price of the drinks are extremely favourable. I had dinner at the hotel and must say I was extremely impressed with the generous servings and the chicken and rack of lamb are highly recommended.

I wouldnt hesitate to recommend this hotel!

Room Tip: The higher up the better the view.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
We would like to Thank you for your very valued comments and really trust that we may welcome you back in the not too distant future.
West Horsley, null, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 22, 2012

Arrived after long flight I had to wait 30 mins for shuttle even when I hand phoned through, then it goes to do drop off before taking me to hotel. No room ready. Unisex shower room...... Taxi service that is late. poor service at front desk, smile more please. Service at breakfast a joke. Overall very disappointed and will not be visiting again.

Room Tip: Don't face the building site net door! Don't have room on 2nd floor above bar as VERY noisy...
1 Thank AndyD1966
Parkinn118, Front Office Manager at Park Inn Sandton, responded to this review, October 23, 2012
Thank you for your valued comments and bringing this to our attention. The issues will most certainly be dealt with, with the staff members involved. We would most sincerely like to apologize for the inconvenience that was caused to you during your check-in and stay. Let me assure you that this is definately not our usual standard that we normally like to aspire too and major action will be taken. We most certainly do hope that we may welcome you back sometime though.
Front Office Manager

Travelers are raving about these Sandton hotels

Nottingham
Reviewed October 21, 2012

I checked into the Park Inn in Sandton on the 15th October 2012, or at least tried to... this hotel's customer service is non-existent and they need a serious round of training to deliver even a minimum standard.

On arrival (after 36 hours travelling) I went to check in and was casually told that I hadn't got a room, they had my booking but had failed to allocate me a room, as far as I understood you could check in from 2:00pm on the day of arrival. It was now 5:30pm and all I wanted to do was get to my room and freshen up and relax. The lady who checked me in (Precious) gave no apology, didn't even give an explanation but told me to wait in reception for 15 minutes until they made a room up for me. After waiting for 30 minutes I went back to reception only to be told that the room they wer preparing for me (a smoking room) had been given away to another guest! after waiting a further 30 minutes they found me a room but it was not a smoking room which I had requested and even called the hotel the day before to reserve.

The problem wasn't that a room had not been made ready, it was the attitude of the lady checking me in (Precious) as said, no apology and no explanation, she made me feel as if it was my fault and made me feel uncomfortable in the process. I am surprised that someone like this can work in a role where they deal with customers.

The room I was given had not been made up properly and as I sat there catching up with some work, one of the housekeepers just let herself into the room without knocking or anyone letting me know, lucky I wasn't showering!

The problems continued... I had asked for a fridge in the room, although some rooms had a fridge, mine didn't and after requesting one at reception, one didn't turn up.

And more problems... I had booked a shuttle to go to the airport for an internal flight, when I arrived at reception at 5:30am and checked, one hadn't been booked. again no apology or explanation. My flight was at 7:10am so even after them chasing another cab, I arrived at the airport with a few minutes to spare (even after the cab driver doing 110MPH on the motorway!)

The taxi was paid for by the Hotel (they paid from the till and this was charged to my room) after returning I wanted to add a tip on for the cab driver but was told that they couldn't pay directly from the hotel till even though they did exactly the same that morning! I spoke to one of the Managers to resolve but all he told me was that the guy who paid for the cab was new and this was something that they didn't do... the funny thing was that he had to ask Precious if this is something they could do.

As said this hotel has major problems with customer service. They were not welcoming and it felt as if I was a hassle to them and it was me at fault. I will never stay here again and would highly recommend that if you need a hotel in this area that you look at the Holiday Inn or the nearby Radisson. It is a shame as the hotel is actually OK, nice rooms, with good facilities. The bar and restaurant staff were very good and the food was a pleasant surprise for a hotel.

If they could sort the front-of-house staff they could make this hotel a good option.

Room Tip: Check your reservation, check it again and still expect problems...
2 Thank Grapesmugglers
Dear valued guest !
It is with great regret that I read your response to Tripadvisor. Your valued comments have been seriously addressed.
On behalf of the Park Inn Hotel and relevant staff I would like to apologise for the major inconvenience and unwelcomed treatment you recieved.
Thank you for taking the time to sharing this with us.