“Great hotel”

Ranked #27 of 47 Hotels in Sandton
Poway, California
“Great hotel”
Reviewed September 15, 2012

Safe part of Johannesburg to stay for one night. Shuttle to local Sandton Mall. Excellent breakfast buffet. Business oriented? Rooms were sleek and modern. Overhead rain shower was divine. Just what we needed after our Safari trip!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Parkinn118, Front Office Manager at Park Inn Sandton, responded to this review, September 17, 2012
On behalf of our General Manager Rick Berendsen and the entire Park Inn Sandton Team I would like to Thank you on your complimentary feedback. We are glad to hear that you felt comfortable throughout your stay.
I hope that we can welcome you back in the not too distant future
Front Office Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (158)
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed September 9, 2012

I was back just 3 months after my last experience here and I am shocked at the events that occured.
I stay here on business and I have little control over where I stay, I must stay at company approved accomodation which I am afraid to say this is our Johannesburg option. I first liked this hotel when I started staying here but unfortunately the standards keep slipping and I have been noticing little things which concern me.

On this occassion when I arrived my room had not been processed due to an error by the hotel staff. Although the person I dealt with (Precious I believe was her name) was lovely and apologetic no effort was made to expedite access to my room. I later discovered that my name had not been entered into the system so when a was expecting a personal call the hotel operator would not forward the call to my room as they had no record of me staying there. This seemed like a significant security issue to both myself and my company. It also required me to update my personal details personally with them.

Again I found my room to have ineffective air conditioning. It blew air around the room at a very low flow but was totally uncontrolable and certainly did not allow cooler or warmer air to be circulated. I ended up leaving the window open as this was the only way to get cool air in the evening times. I also notice that the black out blind has been removed from the window leaving the bizarre sliding blind as the only way to block out sunlight and it really does not do an effective job.

The gym had faulty equipment and the smell in it was awful, I walked in, gagged and walked out again.

Then came the fire alarm. Shortly after 7am the last morning of this particular visit the alarm went off. Its reassuring to know that it works and there is no way you could be in any doubt that something is wrong. I did as the automatic voice instructed and joined the throngs of other bleary eyed guests as we made our way to the fire escape routes. I ended up in an ajoining building used as meeting rooms by the hotel. However as soon as I reached the bottom the alarm stopped and a member of staff instructed us all to ascend the stairs again and make our ways back to our rooms. This was fine only there is no access to the floor levels from inside the stair well. We all ascended and soon there was a crush of people which at one brief moment became pretty frightening before we all realised we needed to go back down and cross the four court and enter the main lobby. I raised my concern with a member of staff who simply looked bewildered and could not understand why the crush could be concerning.....I suggested she google "Stardust fire dublin" for enlightenment.

Other little bug bears include the Bar. Why its right in the lobby I dont know. It needs to be screened off and have some music piped in....better yet move it down to the far end of the empty restaurant and give it some stylish and comfortable seating.

I had a few other concerns on this trip all of which I have reported back to my company but these are the major ones for this trip.

I sincerely hope for better upon my next visit. In the mean time I would suggest people think twice about this hotel.

I will mention however, I do generally believe that the staff are wonderful at this hotel but perhaps they need some more training in dealing with emergency drills.

Room Tip: Stay away from rooms overlooking the main road.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank Irishstandards
Parkinn118, Front Office Manager at Park Inn Sandton, responded to this review, September 11, 2012
On behalf of the Park Inn Radisson we would like to thank you for your feedback. The issues you have addressed have been investigated and will most certainly be actioned accordingly.
It was very unfortunate that the alarm was triggered by a foreign guest who spoke very little english, when he got out of the wrong lift and panicked.
We would like to apologise for the inconveniences caused to you during your stay with us and really hope that we can welcome you back to the Park Inn by Radisson in the future.
Once again thanking you for your valued feedback
Best regards
Front Office Manager

Travelers are raving about these Sandton hotels

Johannesburg, South Africa
Reviewed September 5, 2012

Chic interior, great public spaces. In the room, however, wind outside whistled insanely. Not a fierce wind at all, just bad structural design and no sound proofing. Aircon was also ridiculous: sounded like a washing machine in high spin cycle. Would have moved rooms if I stayed another night.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
On behalf of the Park Inn by Radisson I would like to thank you for your valued feedback.
I would however like to apologise for the inconvenience caused regarding the noise from the windows and airconditioning. New seals and handles have been order to be replaced soonest. The original Contractor on site is also looking into the matter.
I hope that we are able to welcome you back to the hotel in the not so distant future.
Swadlincote, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 27, 2012

just stayed at the park inn....its a very very clean very moden hotel not really for a romantic holiday but it has all the basics right..helpful staff ..excellent room service ( try the T bone steak) lively bar and restaurants nearby (Mythos ) the greek is very good also a woolworths and spar for wine etc.. if you need a base that is clean and friendly this hotel does exactly what its more expensive sister hotel the Raddisson just up the road does for a fraction of the price...just be prepared for modern basic rooms

Room Tip: join the carlton club... to get free wifi when you book
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Parkinn118, Front Office Manager at Park Inn Sandton, responded to this review, August 29, 2012
Thank you very much for your great feedback on our hotel. We glad to hear you enjoyed your stay with us and we look forward to possibly welcoming you back in the not so distant future
London
Reviewed July 27, 2012

To be honest, this hotel would provide you a better value than most of the 4 or 5 star hotels in South Africa. Some glitches yes but overall it would provide what you would expect from a Park Inn and on the food level even more. The only thing I didn't like too much was housekeeping taking the small change from my desk every day they were cleaning my room, that is something you do in the end upon check out! Rooms are spacious otherwise, location good and food is not bad at all in a good price!

Room Tip: check the security chain as some rooms you can't use them as they are installed incorrectly
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Parkinn118, Front Office Manager at Park Inn Sandton, responded to this review, August 8, 2012
Good Afternoon

On behalf of the Park Inn by Radisson Hotel Sandton, We would like to thank you for the first class review. As a Hotel we strive to ensure our clients have the best stay possible and are extremely proud that we achieved this. Thank you for bringing to our attention the Housekeeping miscommunication we shall ensure further training is done on this and on the issue of the chain we are busy going through the rooms within the hotel to ensure this problem is rectified.

We hope to welcome you again soon to the hotel.

Kind Regards
Lindsay Storie
Lome, Togo
Reviewed July 16, 2012

I decided to stay once again at this property, after my last stay in early February this year.

Went for a smoking room and floor - and there was no sign of smoke smell, so it was an extra bonus.

The service delivered continues to be very good, and I didn't have the negative experiences I had in February.
A big thumbs up to Melissa from Front Office team for her great service and big smile.

As it was quite cold at the evening, it was a relief that the A/C unit was able to cope and the warmth was evenly distributed in the whole room - including the coldish bathroom.

On the not so great side, I found that the room had it's minibar fridge removed. I needed to cool my water and cokes in the sink.

Also, since I stayed during the week, the works at the Wolskvagen plot started around 7 am, so forget sleeping - this is, unless you can sleep with heavy machinery breaking rocks next to you.

All in all, for the price/quality ratio, Park Inn is definitely a great choice.

Room Tip: Try to avoid the Volkswagen SA headquarters side, as there is construction on that plot.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank pjso
RSohunS, General Manager at Park Inn Sandton, responded to this review, December 18, 2016
Thank you for your feedback. We are pleased that you had a wonderful stay.

Take care and see you soon.

Regards

Rekha Sohun
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed July 9, 2012

I liked this hotel as the room was spacious, clean and the bed was very comfortable. The bathroom was divided into a shower section and another section for the WC which I think is very practical for twin-sharing.

The wake-up call was made via the TV screen mounted on the wall in front of the bed which is quite unlike other hotels which is via a phone call.

The gym was very spacious and well-equipped.

The breakfast was decent. The staff were very friendly.

A very good security feature is you need your room access card to gain entry into the lift at the lobby that bring you up to your room..

I was on a group tour so I could not comment on the convenience of its location.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
Thank you for your feedback. We are pleased that you had a wonderful stay.

Take care and see you soon.

Regards