“Falling standards already”

Ranked #27 of 47 Hotels in Sandton
Dublin, Ireland
“Falling standards already”
Reviewed June 6, 2012

My most recent visit was a great disappointment on my previous.

I shant go into to much detail other then the say that on three occassions I got stuck in the lifts. The air conditioning barely worked in my room and when it did it was very low, you could not cool the room or get the fan to increase its speed. My Window did not come with a black out blind like my previous room, just the bizarre sliding blind. The bed was two singles put together with a gap in the middle. None of the electrical sockets near the mirrors worked making using a hairdryer awkward. Whenever the AC was off the room began to smell strongly of nicotine despite being a non-smoking room.

All in all I do not really have anything positive to say on this occassion other then the frienly staff at the front desk.

I really hope this hotel pulls its socks up!

Room Tip: I was in room 505 which overlooks Katherine St....very noisy! Suggest an inward facing room!
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Parkinn118, Front Office Manager at Park Inn Sandton, responded to this review, June 10, 2012
Dear Return Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent experience at Park Inn by Radisson Sandton Hotel.

We are extremely disappointed to learn that you did not enjoy your stay with us this time whilst visiting Johannesburg. We do not wish to make excuses and accept the critique with thanks. Please be assured that we are examining the cause of this service failures, and will take the necessary actions with immediate effect to ensure that every matter receives the attention they deserve.

We strive to provide optimal service to our customers at all times, on the occasions where our service does not meet your expectations, we hope to rectify the situation as expeditiously as possible.

I am confident we can restore your faith in our product and service; and that your recent experience will not deter you from lodging with us on your future stays in Sandton.

At your service,

Front Office Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (157)
Florianopolis, SC
Reviewed June 2, 2012

The reservation was made from Club Carlson website and I combined points with cash.
The check in was a little bit complicated. As a concierge member the breakfast should be free, but the lady didn’t recognize the card and insisted that I would have to pay for breakfast. No recognition at all. The upgrade was not even offered.
The room is very small but with very modern décor. I could say that has enough space for a short stay.
As my other reviews, I like to mention about Gluten Free information. This hotel has a fantastic chef, Mr Leon, which handled very well my Gluten Allergy. The food was just amazing and the RGB restaurant is very affordable.
Also, next to the hotel, there is a small shopping center with a supermarket with plenty of Gluten Free Items (ask the staff to show them).
There is a very small pool, but also enough for a quick sunbath. Another option is to visit the Sandton City, a very big Shopping Mall with plenty of restaurant options. If you need to change money, go there at American Express Exchange, inside the Shopping near the Nelson Mandela Square. Be aware that every Exchange has a 2% commission everywhere and also a fee depending on the amount.
The hotel offers hourly shuttle service to the train station (that takes you to the airport) and also to the Sandton City Mall. My airport transfers and my day trip tour were all booked through the hotel. If you need, contact Mandy and everything will be smooth. I paid 400 ZAR (U$ 50) per way and was made with a sedan luxury vehicle.
I felt the hotel comfortable and it’s important to mention that I felt safe all the time. Even to walk around.

Room Tip: Club Carlson member don't pay for internet
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
Parkinn118, Front Office Manager at Park Inn Sandton, responded to this review, June 5, 2012
Dear Concierge Card Holder,

I would like to thank you for taking the time to voice out your concerns regarding your recent stay with us at Park Inn by Radisson Sandton.

Please accept our sincerest apologies for the unpleasant experience you had during your stay and for the manner in which we handled your concerns. We acknowledge the feedback and furthermore confirm that we failed to deliver the warm Hospitality that we are best known for. Kindly be assured that as a Concierge Member ,you are highly valued and your loyalty to the Rezidor Hotels is of utmost importance to us.

An in-depth e-mail has been sent to yourself addressing the service lapses raised herein, we further appreciate you highlighting the positive elements of your stay.

Looking forward to welcoming you back,

BR,

Mackay, Australia
Reviewed May 30, 2012

It is a shame that when refurbishing this hotel nobody thought to install double glazing. The hotel is on the very busy Katherine Street which, as someone not used to heavy traffic noise at home, I found very disruptive to my sleep. When I asked if there was another room at the back of the hotel I was told that the only room available was opposite a construction site. The rooms do not have a main light in the sleeping area and so are quite dark. The front desk staff were not terribly efficient and seemed to delight in disappearing into the office when there was a long queue waiting to check in. The housekeeping was unbelievably poor. Laundry was promised to be returned the same day if deposited by 09:00 so I got it in at 07:30. When we came back from dinner at about 22:00 the laundry had not been returned but a phone call had it arrive in seconds. Tea/coffee/milk were not replenished. Soap and a floor mat, both of which I was quite happy to continue using, were removed but not replaced. On the plus side, the bar staff were very friendly and the concierge staff courteous and helpful. The hotel is used by British Airways staff which my explain why they are such a grumpy bunch who we refuse to fly with.

Room Tip: If you must stay here, ask for an upper room at the back and check if there is any building going on...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Parkinn118, Front Office Manager at Park Inn Sandton, responded to this review, June 6, 2012
Dear Valued Guest,

On behalf of the entire Park Inn by Radisson Sandton Hotel team, I wish to sincerely apologize for the unpleasant experience you had at our property. As an international brand which prides itself on service, we thank you for highlighting the areas of concern. The feedback we receive enables us to target problem areas and to take necessary actions. We acknowledge the comments and furthermore confirm that we failed to deliver on the service philosophies and concepts we live by.

It is with absolute regret that you were exposed to such service lapses as our teams are trained to deal with such daily procedures efficiently , for our goal is to consistently provide superior service and accommodation to our guests. The succession of disappointments that you were exposed to during your stay are inexcusable service failures that will be addressed with the seriousness they deserve to ensure that we eliminate the possibility of this re occurring again in the near future.

I am confident that my assurance and commitment with regards to dealing with the concerns raised will have a positive influence on your opinion and confidence in booking with us as your first option going forward.

Yours in Hospitality,

Chester, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 26, 2012

The hotel is new and very good, clean, friendly staff and good food. The problem is that when you have finished the hotel menu and the 'chop house' next door, you have to travel to the Sandton centre or other areas of Johannesburg and the cost of taxis is out of this world - I have not stayed anywhere where the food is so good and cheap, but the taxis are so expensive - expect to pay over $15 to get to the Sandton centre and $80 to get to Johannesburg

Room Tip: Any room will be fine and suitable, rember to ask for smoking or no smoking both on booking and when...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Parkinn118, Front Office Manager at Park Inn Sandton, responded to this review, May 28, 2012
Dear Traveler,

Thank you for your positive feedback,

Your kind comments regarding the facilities, service and food are much appreciated and have been shared with the rest of the team.

PS : the Hotel offers a daily Complimentary Shuttle Service which rotates on an hourly basis from 10h00 within 5km radius including a stop at “Sandton Centre”, the schedule is available at reception for convenience.

On behalf of the entire workforce here at Park Inn by Radisson Sandton Hotel, we would like to thank you for your business and we hope to see you again when your travel brings you back to the area !!

At your service,

london
Reviewed May 18, 2012

downsides - Heaving with BA crew, and not easily accessible from sandton (infrequent shuttle or pay for a taxi), extremely hard beds and cheap pillows
upsides - decor is ok and wifi is free with club carlton

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Parkinn118, Front Office Manager at Park Inn Sandton, responded to this review, May 21, 2012
Dear Guest,

On behalf of the Park Inn by Radisson Sandton Team, I wish to sincerely apologise for the unpleasant experience that you had at our property. As an international brand which prides itself on service, we thank you for highlighting the areas of concern. The feedback we receive enables us to target problem areas and to take the necessary actions where possible since we strive to consistently offer our guests the best possible service and product.

It is with regret that you found the Hotel’s accessibility from Sandton exigent, as most our guests applaud us for the efficient Complimentary Shuttle Bus Service that we operate on an hourly rotation within 5km radius from the Hotel. For your reference and convenience for future stays , this schedule is available and published at our reception desk. Whilst we have not received such feedback regarding our beds and pillows previously, we value your comments which have been escalated to relevant parties for further review.

When most Hotels in Africa do not offer Wi-Fi complimentary to their Hotel Guests , ours is purely a token of appreciation to the valued Loyalty Program Members who come our way day in and day out. We pride ourselves in building ever lasting relationships for without them, we wouldn’t be !!

We trust that your experience will not deter you to consider our property for future stays !!

Yours in Hospitality,

Front Office Manager

Travelers are raving about these Sandton hotels

Cheshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 15, 2012

Ive stayed here a few times and I really quite like this hotel. It's not in a bad location, pretty safe for jo'burg, very modern, clean, nice friendly staff. Some people may be put off by the rooms bathroom area as its all glass and see through to the bedroom but ok if your on your own! It really seems to have been designed for a business MAN as the tiny wardrobes in the room are no good to hang a dress or long jacket as its just about long enough for a mans shirt! I had more comfortable pilllow than previously so maybe they are listening to customers requests. There are no baths only showers( huge though). The bar area really does need some re- arranging as its almost like you are sat at the reception desk it could with some screening to make it a little more comfortable and during the colder months it feels really chilly as the wind blows through.
As other reviews mention the pool area?? is hardly worth it as its so small there are only 8 beds around it and certainly no way you could have a swim in it!
Just around the corner only 5 mins walk is Atholl square a small mall with few shops and couple of decent supermarkets and some good restaurants. Try Tashas for great lunches and coffees(always packed) and lovely the
Greek restaurant with fab staff.

There is an ok gym that could do with a coup,e more pieces of equipment (one was broke) and some lighter weights for the ladies!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Parkinn118, Front Office Manager at Park Inn Sandton, responded to this review, May 16, 2012
Dear Guest,

I would like to thank you for choosing the Park Inn by Radisson Sandton again for your visit into Johannesburg recently. Serving loyal guests is always a pleasure; we are thrilled to know that you still found the facilities functional and service provided pleasing as complete satisfaction is our goal.

We are most humbled by your positive feedback and trust that we have earned a frequent visitor in you. Our location is indeed a draw card and makes us an ideal base for travelers.

We pride ourselves in service delivery and take every opportunity to improve in areas that need attention; this is of course only possible through the feedback we receive from guests. Thus furthermore confirming that we pay attention to detail and take note of customer requests where we endeavor to deliver whenever possible. We are delighted to know that you Slept & Lived Well due to the comfortable pillows that were provided to you for this specific stay!!

Thank you for affording us the platform to be at your service,

With Warm Regards,

Washington DC, USA
Reviewed May 8, 2012

The Park Inn overall was a nice hotel. Modern rooms, I was there for a conference so they do have conference room facilites onsite. The service was nice. But here are some particulars to keep in mind.
1. During the time I was staying there was construction going on nearby.
2. For some reason during the week I was there, there seemed to be a run on bar soap for approx. 2 days. Where they had removed my used bar soap by the sink. I confirmed this with my room neighbor as well.
3. They use really hard pillows for their beds, which made sleep difficult for me. I wish I had brought my own from home.
4. They do have an outdoor pool but be warned its a small pool, not a pool you can use for swimming laps.
5. The restaurant has good food on par with what you may find in an outside restuarant, although the hotel food you do pay a premium.
6. They do have a complimentary shuttle which takes you to the Guartrain stop and to the nearby shopping mall, which is a nice convenience.
7. If you plan on using the internet at the hotel which is pricy, sign up for the Club Carlson, you internet use fees are then waived at checkout.

1 Thank fabtraveler20
Parkinn118, Front Office Manager at Park Inn Sandton, responded to this review, May 14, 2012
Dear Traveller,

Many Thanks for providing us with feedback regarding your trip to Park Inn by Radisson Sandton. We are delighted for having had the opportunity and platform to be at your service

We appreciate all forms of feedback and further appreciate you highlighting the problems experienced with guest supplies and noise from the construction side. We believe that an area such as housekeeping is critical to a successful product and should never have created an inconvenience for our guests. This has been addressed sternly with the department concerned.

We thank you for acknowledging and noting the positive elements of your visit as well, and look forward to hosting you again soon.

Best Regards,