“Good choice, quality facilities, average service”

Southern Sun Hyde Park Sandton
Ranked #9 of 47 Hotels in Sandton
Reviewed February 17, 2013

I've stayed at this hotel several times on business trips. I usually stay between 12-20 days. it's a great location. Rooms are very nice, clean, modern and comfortable. The facilities (gym, restaurant, parking and bar) are very good also. The only thing that lets it down is the general service delivery of the staff. Front desk and concierge staff need to have are more welcoming approach. I have had encounters with some nice staff though but this is the minority.

1  Thank BuzzardT
Michael K, General Manager at Southern Sun Hyde Park Sandton, responded to this reviewResponded February 17, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to comment on our hotel especially as you return to make use of our quality facilities while in Johannesburg on business.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Southern Sun Hyde Park in the near future and do hope that you will feel a renewed energy in our approach as we strive to constantly better our service deliver to all our guests who choose us as their home away from home.

Kind regards,

Reviewed February 16, 2013

I travel to Johannesburg several times a year for work, and a colleague recommended the Southern Sun Hyde Park after my usual business hotel was fully booked. After the first time I stayed here, I was so impressed with my experience that I have now made it my go-to hotel when in Johannesburg for business or pleasure. My only reason for not posting a review earlier was because I didn't want others to discover this gem of a hotel, as I'm not sure people quite understand the value they're getting at this property.

Rooms: Exquisitely appointed rooms - beds are comfortable, bathrooms are modern and clean, room has everything you need to make your stay comfortable. The rooms are not huge so consider upgrading if you are the type of person who needs open space, but as a solo business traveler, I find them to be exactly what I need.

Facility: The hotel is attached to the Hyde Park mall - which has lovely cafes and restaurants, a cinema, a grocery store, a bookshop, hair salon, etc. During a short business trip, I can get everything I need taken care of without even leaving the building. There are other hotels attached to malls near Sandton City and Rosebank - but those malls are massive and over-stimulating. Hyde Park is exclusive and inviting. The hotel itself also has a fantastic gym - one of the better hotel gyms I've seen, and a rooftop pool that is pleasant and quiet during the day. At night, the hotel has a popular bar that gets quite crowded - which is also fun for the solo traveler. I have frequently made friends with locals from Sandton while grabbing a drink at the bar.

Food: Fantastic breakfast buffet - you don't want to miss breakfast! I've eaten dinner and ordered room service as well - both were excellent. The mall also has food options nearby.

Staff: I would say that the staff at the Southern Sun is what gives them the edge - particularly the staff who run their food services, the concierge/valet, and the management team. They are so attentive and so welcoming - after multiple visits, I actually now feel like I'm coming back to familiar faces. A few of the front desk staff have been hit or miss, but the excellent service and attention provided by the rest of the team over-shines this.

Tips: The value you get at this hotel is incredible. If you book early enough through their website, or during a promotional season, you could probably get a room for USD $125/night - which is really incredible considering the neighborhood and everything you have access to. Booking later, I've paid a higher rate, so try to book early. Also, make sure you sign up for their rewards program. I now have enough points for a few free nights - and that's always something to look forward to.

Keep in mind: If you're staying at this hotel on Thursday-Sunday, the bar does get pretty loud in the evenings, so don't expect to grab a quiet night-cap in the lounge.

Overall, a great property that I will continue to visit.

1  Thank ALG-travel

Dear Traveler- ALG,

Thank you for taking the time to explain the incredible value, that you find in our hotel,and to share it with all our future Tripadvisor potential guests.

Its not often that guests will make the time for such a detailed overview of our facility so thank you for a great review of Southern Sun Hyde park to get us going into 2013.

We are glad to hear we are your 'go-to' hotel when in Johannesburg and that our facility meets your needs. The familiar faces of my management and team look forward to welcoming you back for your next visit to our city.

We will look out for your next booking be it business or leisure.

Thank you again for a wonderful review of our hotel.

Kind regards

Michael and the Team

Reviewed February 15, 2013

Excellent hotel - room layout is great. I love the bathroom and especially the shower. I was so amazed with the hotel that i encouraged all my staff to use the hotel - everyone is happy with their stay. The complimentary juice is an added bonus. As a Freq Guest Director status - i enjoy the gifts which are functional and change all the time. This is great compared to other hotels which only provide wine!

I have been telling my wife about the hotel and we are looking forward to an opportunity to go to JHB to use the hotel. Staff are polite, courteous and helpful. I stay here everytime i am in JHB.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business

Dear Guest,

Thank you for giving us the stamp of approval as 'excellent" and we are very grateful that you have encouraged all your staff to use our hotel when in Johannesburg.

As a Frequent guest member we do hope you continue to enjoy the benefits which we offer at Southern Sun Hyde Park and look forward to your next visit as your base when away from home.

I will definately share your comments with my team.

Regards,

Michael and the Southern Sun Hyde Park Team.

Reviewed February 2, 2013 via mobile

Big price. Pretty hotel but more effort required in the details. Asked for medium eggs for breakfast and got rock hard eggs each time. Complained but still got hard eggs again. No good. Staff friendly place lovely but you cannot let your guests leave for the day hungry and frustrated especially when charging an exclusive price as you do. Thanks for trying

• Stayed: February 2013
Michael K, General Manager at Southern Sun Hyde Park Sandton, responded to this reviewResponded February 4, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your experience with us, all feedback is truely important to us, be it good or in your case something we did not get right.

My Food and Beverage team would like to apologise for not getting the breakfast order to your exact liking as we all understand how important a good breakfast is to start the day, especially when away from home.

We are glad that you find Southern Sun Hyde Park to be a lovely place, and do hope that you will be able to visit us again in the near future.

Reviewed February 2, 2013

Stayed there for 2 days and thoroughly loved it. The view from the glass in the elevator was beautiful. Buffet breakfast was a delight. The shopping mall which was next door was a delight. There was an entrance from outside or through the hotel garage side making it easy for guests. There is lounge between the reception and first floor that had a beautiful view and a pool. A place one will go for a holiday and to just relax, because the views are just breathtaking. I would totally recommend it to anyone going on holiday.

• Stayed: January 2013

Dear Anti Billi,

Thank you for the time to share our breathtaking views with all our potential future visitors, it truely is a refreshing sight especially at sunset.

We are very greatful that you would recommend us to future travellers and do hope that you may be able to visit us here at the Southern Sun Hyde Park in the near future.

My management and team are delighted that you left us with the feeling of a 'lovely experience" and that we delivered on your rooms expectations and service.

Reviewed January 28, 2013

I felt welcomed when arriving at the hotel late the evening. The room was well appointed and very comfortable. The rain shower an absolute pelasure. The pool deck provides a lovely view over the city and the food was scrumptuous! Thank you for lovely experience :)

1  Thank PiereClarke

Dear Piere,

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience at Southern Sun Hyde Park in Sandton.

We are glad that we could be the refuge while visiting Johannesburg, and do hope that we will have the pleasure of your company in the near future.

Kind Regards,

Reviewed January 25, 2013

I just returned from South Africa. I stayed at the Southern Sun Hotel at Hyde Park. The room was excellent. the service exceptional. the restaurant in the hotel was amazing. Ask for Nathaniel for recommendations on wine with dinner. Lounge is very pleasant and a great spot to meet with colleagues after work. The exercise room is well stored with bottle water and equipment. I don't think you can go wrong at the Southern Sun Hotel.

By the way it sits on top of an excellent mall. Check out the bookstore Exclusive Books.

1  Thank Tim P
Michael K, General Manager at Southern Sun Hyde Park Sandton, responded to this reviewResponded January 27, 2013

Dear Tim,

Thank you for taking the time to give all our future guests a great overview of our offering at Southern Sun Hyde Park on Trip Advisor.

We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay and had the time to make use of our facilities.

Thank you for pointing out Nathaniel as a staff member that delivered exceptional service during your stay.

We do hope that you will be able to visit with us in the future when you visit Johannesburg.

Kind regards,

Also consider these accommodations in or near Sandton
The Maslow
Michelangelo Hotel
#3 of 47 in Sandton
Radisson Blu Hotel Sandton, Johannesburg
Four Seasons Hotel The Westcliff Johannesburg

Been to Southern Sun Hyde Park Sandton? Share your experiences!