“Good Location but Demoralizing Stay”

Glenalmond Hotel Sandton
Ranked #23 of 47 Hotels in Sandton
Harare, Zimbabwe
“Good Location but Demoralizing Stay”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 6, 2014

Firstly when my family and I arrived at this hotel the first impression was really bad. Walking into that room it smelt like no one had stayed in there for years. Having travelled for 26+ hours all I wanted was to have a shower. The floor was so mouldy it made me feel sick I had to wear slippers in there plus the door was in shambles. When I started having a shower the shower head fell on me. DISGRACEFUL!

Furthermore when this hotel was booked we were assured that Wi-Fi would be accessed from the room free of charge and on attempting to connect nothing happened. Calling reception I was answered by a gentleman who told me that for Internet in the room id need to pay R290. On going down to reception I asked the gentleman if he could show me what plans they had. The plan for the price advised was wrong and when I questioned him he argued back with me. I finally paid R250 instead of the price advised beforehand and that wasn't the end of it. We got back to the apartment and tried to connect our laptops and it only took one device. When we called reception again the gentleman accused us for not telling him that we were connecting multiple devices. Nothing on the Internet slip mentioned charges to be per device hence why I didn't see the need to advice so. On seeing that I couldn't get through the rudeness of the guy I asked to see the managers first thing in the morning. The next day I went to reception to check why no one had come to see me. The lady on the desk said she had no idea that this had happened the night before as no one had mentioned it to her. I had to waste half an hour of my holiday time explaining that I had been placed In a pigsty of a room and explain the issue of the Wi-Fi all over again. No incident reports were written which means they wouldn’t care less if we got a concussion. Talk about good management and communication skills. All of this was resolved and we got room moved to a better apartment (and I mean 100 times better).

A few days later we asked housekeeping not to clean our apartment as we were spending the day indoors since it was raining. On attempting to wash the dishes water started spilling from the drain area. We then called reception to send maintenance to come and have a look since we didn’t know what was going on. A guy called Francis came with a lady who started scrapping a pan that was on the stove blaming my family for pouring oil into the drain and therefore blocking it. We tried to explain to her that we had never done the dishes since day one as we just left it for housekeeping to take care of. This lady did not care about that and kept verbally attacking my mum. We then called reception and explained to them that we weren’t comfortable with the behaviour of this lady. The lady was then sent up again and instead of apologising she confronted my mum about calling reception and complaining about her. After this the since was fixed but we didn’t even get any apology or explanation as to why the water was flooding the kitchen.

I could go on forever with how many things went wrong but overall it was a disappointing and waste of 11 days accommodation with my family. There were a few individuals who made us feel at home especially Jack (the French Fellow), the housekeeping lady who came to apartment 22 on Christmas day and Frank from Reception but the rest were really disappointing. I wouldn't come back at all to Glenalmond neither would I recommend it to anyone. It was a great location but there has to be a great review on service. If you do stay at this property just make sure nothing goes wrong with your room as they don’t know how to solve problems in a diplomatic way. Our dignity was stripped open.

Room Tip: Make sure you inspect the rooms before moving in
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank Kudzai C

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 30, 2013

Stayed here four nights in December with friends. Here is why I would recommend the Glenalmond Hotel :

1.The location is excellent. It takes about 15 mins to get to the Sandton Gautrain station and Nelson Mandela Square Mall on foot. Inspite of its proximity to downtown Sandton, the location is very quiet,safe and peaceful.

2.The rooms are furnished apartment suites with a well equipped kitchen.Both suites we stayed at were spacious, clean and comfortable.

3.The staff is very friendly and courteous.

4.The breafast spread is varied and delicious.

5.The free onsite laundry and parking are an added plus.

We would whole heartedly recommend this hotel to anyone planning to visit Sandton/Johannesburg. In case you make an online booking, carry print outs showing deposits made in advance so the hotel can charge you the remainder balance accurately. (There were some system issues in our case)

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Sajal C
GlenalmondHotel130, Guest Relations Manager at Glenalmond Hotel Sandton, responded to this review, January 7, 2014
Thank you for your valuable feedback. We have since rectified the glitch in the system. I suspect you would have arrived at a time just after we had Internet issues that made it difficult to see the updated rates. That said, it is usually advised that when a guest has made an online booking they arrive with their voucher or invoice so the receptionist on duty verifies the rates as online rates tend to differ from our rack rates that we charge as an establishment.

We are glad that you had a great stay with us. We hope that as you keep coming back to stay with us, your stay with us keeps getting better and better.

We hope that you have a pleasant 2014!
The Hague, The Netherlands
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 31, 2013

The price-value-ratio cannot be beaten, you don't get simply a room, but a completely furnished apartment including a kitchen, living room, sleeping room, bathroom and another separate toilet. It is a very nice and quiet place, and the staff is doing everything to make you feel comfortable, a special thanks here goes to Frank, the receptionist.
The location is excellent, it is just a 10 minutes walk to the Nelson Mandela square.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
GlenalmondHotel130, Public Relations Manager at Glenalmond Hotel Sandton, responded to this review, January 7, 2014
One of the best things about staying with us is definitely getting your money's worth. We hope that you will keep coming to join the Glenalmond Family as we continue to improve upon the services we offer. We hope to see you here in 2014! May it a great year for you and your family!
New Hudson, Michigan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 23, 2013

My husband and I spend two nights at Glenalmond earlier this month and found the hotel to be in a safe neighborhood and within walking distance to everything we could have asked for while in Sandton. As many other's have said, the rooms were definitely renovated apartments and had ample space within. The Wi-Fi was free given you were either in or near their office or the breakfast area and worked quite well. The Radisson Hotel was less than a 5-minute walk and the Mandela Square (very large shopping mall) was roughly15 minutes. If you are looking for a clean and reasonably priced stay while in Sandton, I would definitely recommend. Nothing too fancy, but we felt safe and had a nice stay!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for staying with us. We are always doing our best to make sure that we give our best to guests for a great experience with us.We look forward to welcoming you again for a longer stay!
Have a great 2014!
UAE
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 5, 2013

Nice and cosy place to stay .It's actuallt apartment type with breakfast on board and not a Hotel
staff are all good .Taxi ride to Sandton City and Mandela square costs 50 rand with a taxi hired from them.a nearby supermarket is walking distance away
The apartments i stayed does not have an AC ,donno about the rest
The water tapes are separate and does not contain a mixer ( hot n cold ) except in shower
constant birds screech starts before the Sun rise so if you are a light sleeper get ear plugs

Room Tip: the apartments are single storey so request for a ground floor room if you have a lot of luggage to...
1 Thank mazengo
GlenalmondHotel130, Manager at Glenalmond Hotel Sandton, responded to this review, October 28, 2013
Thank you for your stay with us. We are constantly working towards making every stay memorable and are working towards air conditioning for every apartment as we go along. Unfortunately the Hadeda Ibis birds have become part of our landscape in this part of the continent. We have become used to their sounds. :-) . They seem to be keen gardening birds that dig for worms in the rich soils. We do hope to see you again.
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 30, 2013

Glenalmond Hotel are nice apartments in the amazing city- Johannesburg. They are clean, modern, well equipped, spacious and great value. It is a 5 minute drive to a supermarket and a roughly 30 minute to Johannesburg airport. The staff in reception are friendly which makes the stay enjoyable!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
GlenalmondHotel130, Manager at Glenalmond Hotel Sandton, responded to this review, September 24, 2013
Thank You Ashley.
Here at Glenalmond Hotel- Sandton we try our utmost to give you a good experience and an enjoyable stay in Sandton's CBD at a very reasonable cost. We sure do hope that when you come through to us again we will have a lot more to offer and that you will have a great time with us once again.

We look forward to seeing you!
Leiden, The Netherlands
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 28, 2013

The hotel had a spacious and well equipped apartment with covered parking in front of the apartment. The location has good security.
Breakfast was very good - huge portions.
There is a small pool but it was too cold to be used on my visit.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
GlenalmondHotel130, Manager at Glenalmond Hotel Sandton, responded to this review, September 23, 2013
Thank you for joining us at Glenalmond Hotel- Sandton. We are delighted to read that you liked the breakfast. We hope to see you again when it is warmer and that you will be able to enjoy our pool area and catch a bit of sun.
We look forward to seeing you once again at Glenalmond Hotel- Sandton.