“Brief stay, but fantastic!”

DaVinci Hotel and Suites
Ranked #7 of 48 Hotels in Sandton
Miami, Florida
“Brief stay, but fantastic!”
Reviewed March 4, 2014

We stayed in this hotel briefly, only one night while on our honeymoon and we were very pleased. The location was great and the room was beautiful. I enjoyed the modern decor and the plush bed and pillows. The staff was very accommodating and surprised us with a bottle of champagne and a plate of delicious chocolate truffles.
The adjacent restaurant, Maximillien was great as well. The included breakfast was plentiful and the staff was very helpful.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
RuiAntunes, Rooms Division Manager at DaVinci Hotel and Suites, responded to this review, March 5, 2014
Dear MiamiTravel101,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write such a wonderful TripAdvisor report for us. I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your evening with us and that we could contribute to your honeymoon memories.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the DAVINCI in the near future.

Kind regards,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (100)
  • Turkish first
Aalst, Belgium
Reviewed March 3, 2014

My first contact with South-African people was immediately very positive thanks to the kind, helpful and professional attitude of the staff of this hotel. This positive experience continued when I discovered a beautiful room with a very good bed, complete bathroom and all the amenities (and even more) you can expect in such a kind of hotel. The breakfast offered a large choice but I had to wait long for my coffee each morning. I didn't try the restaurant but the whisky/cigar bar is very cosy and offers a large choice at moderate rates.
Two tips: ask to open a credit on your room by check-in since they don't propose it to you spontaneously: it will help you to charge some expenses on your room later. Second tip is to ask (pay) for a more MB on your WiFi because the basic package is very low and does not allow you to open all your files needed.
I can thus absolutely recommend this hotel even if I was waken-up once at 05:00 am by the noise of a generator (extern on the hotel) starting to work during 2 hours...

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Dear Karl H,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write the above report on our TripAdvisor profile. It is always wonderful to hear that our guests enjoy their time with us and that you were welcomed with true South African warmth. Please accept my apologies that you had to wait for your coffee each morning. This has been discussed with the Food and Beverage Manager who will be taking the necessary corrective action. Each guest receives a 350MB internet allowance per day, but should you require any additional MB, please do not hesitate to contact reception during your next stay. Currently, we do not charge for any additional MB given to our guests. I would also like to apologize for the generator noise that woke you up at 05:00 in the morning. The building managers responsible have been contacted in order to avoid similar situations from happening again.

Once again, thank you for your valued feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back with smiles in the near future.

Beijing, China
Reviewed February 28, 2014

Two nights out of three that I stayed at the DaVinci, there were cockcroaches in the bathroom; three times out of three that I called the reception, they asked for my room number and said they'd call back or send what I had asked for, but never did; talking face to face with the receptionist, one must prepare for an eye-roll, a cold shoulder or becoming the butt of a joke. Also, housekeeping barged in without knocking while I was changing once.

When the bellboy asked if I had a "great" stay, I wanted to say... at least it was memorable.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
2 Thank Nadia C
RuiAntunes, Rooms Division Manager at DaVinci Hotel and Suites, responded to this review, March 4, 2014
Dear nadia_beijing,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write the above TripAdvisor report. All feedback is taken seriously as it assists us in correcting possible shortcomings.

Please accept my apologies for the inconveniences and lack of service you received from us. I can assure you that this is definitely not the service we pride ourselves on and the necessary corrective action has been taken by the Executive Housekeeper and Front Office Manager to improve this.

Thank you again for bringing the above to our attention and we hope that you will give us another chance to offer you the “true DAVINCI experience” that we are known for.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 26, 2014

Stayed here for Meetings Africa Very convenient for Sandton centre and close by shops and restaurants within same complex with conference centre just over road which you can reach by a bridge. Rooms are very high standard with everything you need (except an ironing board!). Service excellent and friendly. Nice swimming pool area Buffet breakfast not quite 5* standard whilst everything else is. Close by Gautrain which is 15 mins from international airport and there is a complimentary shuttle from Sandton Gautrain station, even though you could walk it. DSTV and wifi works well

Room Tip: View over the pool;
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Dear Zetat0ours,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write the above TripAdvisor report. I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. We strive to offer only the best possible service to our guests and therefore we will be adding a new organic and gluten free breakfast buffet section. Thank you again for your wonderful feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back to the DAVINCI in the near future.

Reviewed February 20, 2014 via mobile

As a returning guest, it is welcoming to return to a hotel where you are remembered by name! The service is excellent - from the porter-front desk-housecleaning etc. The rooms are well maintained and clean. The hotel is situated with walking distance to the Sandton Mall, Convention Centre etc. Ask for a room overlooking the pool.

Stayed February 2014
RuiAntunes, Rooms Division Manager at DaVinci Hotel and Suites, responded to this review, February 23, 2014
Dear Judith a,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write such a wonderful TripAdvisor report for us. I am delighted to hear that you enjoy your stays with us and it is wonderful to welcoming you back “home” so often.

We look forward to greeting you with smiles on your next visit.

Calgary, Canada
Reviewed February 17, 2014

This hotel is superb; customer service top notch, rooms very comfortable, incredibly clean & restocked promptly every day. Breakfast buffet/a la carte - don't matter, both have very good choices with tasty healthy options. Location is right next to Nelson Mandela Square with plenty of shopping and restaurants specializing in a variety of cuisines. Didn't feel unsafe at any time while there.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
RuiAntunes, Rooms Division Manager at DaVinci Hotel and Suites, responded to this review, February 17, 2014
Dear DragonflyStar,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write such a wonderful TripAdvisor report. I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your first time in our beautiful country and that we could enhance your experience.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the DAVINCI in the near future.

Bournemouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 16, 2014

I have stayed at the DaVinci for a total of 7 months whilst working in Johannesburg. I had one of the apartments which are perfect for a longer stay. The kitchens are well ordered and have everything you need although sometimes the contents are a little hit and miss. I stayed in 3 different apartments and always had different combinations of utensils and saucepans - just little things like that which can make cooking a little awkward but equally nothing that can't be resolved with a quick call to Housekeeping. The bedrooms were lovely and the beds super comfy. The decor is really nice and modern, very clean and nicely decorated. The bathrooms were always clean and well stocked and you could almost swim in the baths. Sometimes the bedding and/or towels were a little worn but always clean. The rooms come with a full DSTV bouquet which was great, plenty of channels to choose from.
Sometimes there was noise from the buildings opposite which was their air conditioning (I think), did get very loud and annoying but eventually you get used to it.
The staff really make the hotel, very friendly and welcoming, unfailingly polite and helpful. I was always greeted by name and had a little chat.
The gym is not too bad for a hotel gym; the cardio equipment is basic but works and there are plenty of weights and a few machines. I used one of the Legacy Balance PT's whilst I was there - Shane Oliver (his card is in the gym reception) very highly recommended. A great PT and makes the sessions fun as well as hard work.
The pool deck is nice although sadly you only get sun for 3-4 hours a day so sunbathing opportunities are limited.
The food is good, I have had room service, eaten in the bar and Maximillian and all were nice and good value.
The location is great, right on top of the mall with shops galore and plenty of fabulous restaurants. There is also a cinema in the mall which was great value for money and I used it a lot.
I used the travel company to provide my cars - Kwathlano - my driver was Ernest who is wonderful, always polite but would give you a little tour and interesting facts as he was driving you around.
Overall great hotel!!

Room Tip: Ask for a room pool side to reduce traffic noise. If you don't like aircon sleep with the windo...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank Lulabelle215
Dear Lulabelle215,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write such an extensive and wonderful TripAdvisor report for us. It is wonderful to hear that you enjoyed your 7 month stay with us and that we could make you feel at home. We pride ourselves in offering only the best possible service to all our guests.

We look forward to welcoming you back with smiles I the near future.