“Very nice hotel, and service mostly excellent”

DaVinci Hotel and Suites
Ranked #7 of 46 Hotels in Sandton
Reviewed May 18, 2013

Stayed here on Business for a few days. First thing to note is that the hotel is a very impressive building, and nicely designed.
The staff are also very obliging, friendly and helpful. Though unfortunately there was no early check-in allowed. I was advised in advance that the only way to guarantee an early check-in is to book the night before.
The room itself was nicely designed and furbished. However, while the room design is great for individual, I do not think it would work very well for two people sharing a room. The WC and shower cabinets each have glass walls. The lights also take a bit of getting used to, with all the controls on the headboard of the bed.
Nice TV in the room, with many channels, including English football games.
Also there is a WI-FI allowance, however, I was requested by the system to purchase more data, when it also advised me I had only used half of my allowance!
Room service usually good. Though on one occasion they forgot replenish the coffee, and on another occasion they forgot to replenish the bottled water. Bottled water is important to me, since I would not wish to drink the tap water. Also, irons are provided on request, but the iron I was given on one occasion would be considered unsafe in the UK. Also, the ironing board was past usable condition.
Breakfast also very good. Though again, on a couple of occasions they forgot to offer me a coffee. I always have coffee first thing, and had to find a member of staff to get me a coffee. But staff at breakfast also very helpful.
There was one lady on the reception desk who remembered me from the beginning, and I never had to give my name or room number when I spoke to her - very impressed with her!
Overall, I loved this hotel. Since I travel alone on business, the rooms are great for me. However, there are a few areas for improvement in the service and housekeeping.
I will doubtlessly use this hotel again next time I visit South Africa on business.

Room Tip: All rooms are way above ground, so no issues with ground floor rooms.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank MinkySpinky
RuiAntunes, Rooms Division Manager at DaVinci Hotel and Suites, responded to this reviewResponded May 19, 2013

Dear MinkySpinky,

I would like to thank you for taking the time to give us your valued feedback. All comments are taken very seriously as it assists us in improving any service shortcomings.

It is wonderful to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and that we will be seeing you again. We try and assist with early arrivals, but unfortunately this is not always possible due to high occupancies the previous night, but as you mentioned you can guarantee an early check in should you book from the night before. With regards to the WI-FI, thank you very much for bringing this to my attention. It is a new system that we implemented and we will most definitely inform the relevant people so that action can be taken to solve this problem.

Please accept my apologies for the lack of service you received in the restaurant during breakfast. I have brought it to the attention of our Food and Beverage Manager and he will most definitely take it up with his staff. With regards to the iron and ironing board as well as the replenishing of your amenities, I would like to apologize. That is most definitely not the DAVINCI standard that we pride ourselves on and the Executive Housekeeping Manager has been made aware of the incident. We are in the process of procuring new irons and ironing boards for the rooms which should be delivered soon.

Once again, thank you very much for giving us feedback. We look forward to welcoming you back to the DAVINCI Hotel in the near future.

Reviewed May 16, 2013 via mobile

I always enjoy my stays here. From the friendly staff who meet you at check in throughout the stay and at checkout. The hotel is centrally located and convenient to shopping and restaurants. I will stay here again when I return.

• Stayed: May 2013
1  Thank Peter F

Dear Peter F,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write the TripAdvisor comment. I am very glad to hear that you enjoy your stays with us and we look forward to welcoming you back very soon.

Reviewed May 14, 2013

For me it's strange when the bathroom is almost the same size as the bedroom! The bathroom was lovely - very modern and clean, but with poor quality towels which look old and worn. The room I was given had twin beds and lots of furniture which is far too large for the room. The most frustrating thing for me was the location of electrical sockets - neatly hidden at the end of the desk amongst the curtains! Why oh why do hotels insist in trying to hide such important things! Purely by coincidence, I noticed that during my 3 day stay the room was not vacuumed - the crumbs near the fridge may even have been there when I arrived. When I checked in, although the room was prepaid, I was asked for a credit card to cover incidentals - for that I would have assumed a full minibar - but no, it was completely empty! Walls are very thin and I could hear next door conversations - extremely loud banging of neighbouring doors doesn't aid sleep.

Excellent breakfast. Good location for Mandela Square and Sandton City shops. Very good security with access to floor only with room key.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
RuiAntunes, Rooms Division Manager at DaVinci Hotel and Suites, responded to this reviewResponded May 16, 2013

Dear Galtraveller3,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write your report on TripAdvisor. We take all feedback seriously as it assists us in bettering our service.

Please accept my apology with regards to the towels and the cleanliness of your room. This is most definitely not the DAVINCI standard and our Executive Housekeeper will be taking the necessary action to ensure the standard of cleanliness is improved.

Our mini bars are only stocked on request so that we can personalize the items in the mini bar to your preference. Once you have confirmed a date for your next visit, please could be so kind as to let us know which items you wish to have your mini bar stocked with and we will ensure that it is done.

I am very glad to hear that you enjoyed your overall stay with us and that you found the breakfast to be excellent. We look forward to welcoming you back to the DAVINCI Hotel in the near future.

Reviewed May 8, 2013

Because of its location in a very safe suburb of Johannesburg and proximity to a monster size mall some tour companies use this hotel. It is a serious mistake. It is a hotel suitable for business people but not tourists used to quality hotels. The rooms have been poorly designed, especially the lighting and bathroom. The food is also quite mediocre. I could not understand why our safari tour company, Tauck, uses this hotel, other than their desire to pay a low price. Across the street is a far better hotel, an Intercontinental property.

Room Tip: The best advice is to do everything possible not to stay here.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank statusquobuster
RuiAntunes, Rooms Divison Manager at DaVinci Hotel and Suites, responded to this reviewResponded May 13, 2013

Dear statusquobuster,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write the TripAdvisor review and I am saddened to hear that you did not like our hotel. We fully understand that people’s preferences differ, and that the modern décor and the room layouts do not fall into everyone’s liking. All the good TripAdvisor comments that we receive serve to confirm this difference in people’s taste.

I trust that you experienced the true DAVINCI standard of service during your stay with us and that your trip to South Africa will bring back pleasant memories.

Reviewed May 8, 2013

Great hotel, great interior, spacious room, comfortable bed, great breakfast, great attitute, great location.

Few things to be improved is the cleanliness of the carpet. If you barewalk, your feet will get dirty. Internet connection also should be improved.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank RitchieKurniawan
RuiAntunes, Rooms Division Manager at DaVinci Hotel and Suites, responded to this reviewResponded May 12, 2013

Dear RitchieKurniawan,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write this review and for bringing the cleanliness of your carpet to my attention. This has been brought to the attention of our Executive Housekeeper and an action plan is being put in place to ensure that all rooms are cleaned according to the DAVINCI standard. We are in the process of switching over to a new internet systems, which will resolve internet connection problems.

I am pleased to know that you enjoyed your stay with us and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed May 7, 2013

A very nice hotel for the last 2 nights of my month long visit to South Africa. Beautifully designed yet very, very comfortable rooms and public areas. I enjoyed excellent meals from the restaurant and great cappuccinos from the bar by the pool. The staff was very nice and helpful. There was a screw up picking me up from the train station. I had repeated told them Park Station over the phone and they inadvertently sent the car to Sandton Station leaving me stranded, late at night at the more than slightly sketchy station. When the woman on the phone realized where I was, she profusely apologized and sent the car as fast as the driver could go. I got over it by enjoying some great shopping in the attached mall complex.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank MMoranski
RuiAntunes, Manager at DaVinci Hotel and Suites, responded to this reviewResponded May 7, 2013

Dear MMoranski,

I thank you for taking the time to write a review and bring the issue of the train station transfer to our attention. I have investigated the matter and the necessary immediate action is being given to the situation to avoid such inconveniences from arising again.

Furthermore I am pleased to see that it was a pleasant ending to your month long stay and we look forward to welcoming you back in the not too distant future.

Kind regards

Rui Antunes
Rooms Division Manager

Reviewed April 18, 2013

Having stayed at many hotels around the world, I always look to pick the best one available wherever I go. However this was taken out of my hands as I had come to South Africa for a wedding and the hosts had chosen our accommodation the DaVinci Hotel and Suites. The hotel is aesthetically pleasing with reasonably good service however I still think they could improve in certain areas while the concierge and reception team seem strong the bar and restaurant staff are a bit weak. In terms of taking too long to take an order or actually delivering an order. The rooms are adequate and reasonably sized not the best bathrooms or linen but I have been told that you don't get Egyptian cotton towels in hotels in Johannesburg which I am sure is a lie as I received them at the Coral in Cape Town same country different part. The rooms finish was a bit wayward wonky handles and a dirty carpet so attention to details is needed. The hotel has nice amenities a lovely pool and quick and easy access to Sandton Shopping Mall and Mandela Square which made for nice lunches and quick and easy to get a snack as I found the hotel food options quite limited and sometimes unavailable due to timing/power shortages. It is a good hotel, with a good central location. It could do better but made for a pleasant stay.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank MoSaloojee23
RuiAntunes, Rooms Division Manager at DaVinci Hotel and Suites, responded to this reviewResponded April 19, 2013

Dear MoSaloojee23,

Thank you very much for taking the time to give us your valued feedback and sharing your experience. I will definitely share your comments with the relevant management so that areas such as the bar and restaurant service can be improved. Unfortunately, when we experience a local municipal power failure, some of our kitchen equipment is effected which results in a limited menu being available during that time. I have spoken to our Executive Chef and we will look at expanding the options available should we experience another power failure.

I am pleased to hear that you found our hotel aesthetically pleasing and that overall, you enjoyed your stay with us. We look forward to welcoming you back to the DAVINCI Hotel in the near future.