“Da Bomb”

DaVinci Hotel and Suites
Ranked #10 of 47 Hotels in Sandton
Reviewed August 22, 2011

A modern, super swanky hotel in the middle of Joburg’s exclusive Sandton area.

We came here on a one night romantic getaway on our wedding anniversary. The hotel is literally steps away from the Gautrain – extremely convenient if you’re flying in from elsewhere. But still, it’s worth asking the hotel to pick you up in a car just for convenience. We wanted to treat ourselves and this was definitely the right place!

We came into the room to find our bed sprinkled with rose petals and cute congratulatory cards from the manager as well as a beautiful fresh fruit platter. Our view was onto the amazing patio/pool area, which in the summer must be absolutely awesome. The bathroom, which had both an avantguarde bathtub and shower, was beautiful and super slick. The beds were incredibly comfortable and the room super cosy. (One small gripe was that we found a couple of hairs on the bed sheets but the bed was clearly freshly made and laundered).

As soon as we arrived in the hotel, we took advantage of the amazing spa, which is right at reception. We had the Rasul treatment, which is basically a room all to yourself, where you apply mud to each other and let it melt off in the special steam room, after which you soak in the giant Jacuzzi. All in total privacy and luxury.

We had to leave the hotel at 5am to catch our flight, so we would have missed the breakfast which was included in the price of our stay. The receptionist organised for our breakfast (a giant giant platter of fresh fruits and another whole platter of croissants, toast, muffins and apple turnovers) to be delivered to our room at 4:30am. They even started up the espresso machine just for us.

It’s a hyper cool, stylish place – black and white decor; cool winding staircases, mirrors everywhere. Truly awesome!

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Nikila
RuiAntunes, Manager at DaVinci Hotel and Suites, responded to this reviewResponded March 30, 2013

Dear Guest

We appreciate your wonderful feedback on Trip Advisor.

We constantly strive to offer the best possible levels of service and your comments are testament to this.

We look forward to once again sharing our warm hospitality with you in the future.

Best Wishes
Rui Antunes
Rooms Division Manager

Reviewed August 21, 2011

This is a good hotel for a short business trip. The service, rooms, and staff are all very good. The rooms are comfortable and clean and the property feels safe which is always important in the greater Joburg area. it is conveniently located at Mandela Square and connected to the shopping center. The quality is comparable to the Michelangelo which I have used many times but at a much lower cost. Search the web to get the best rates.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled on business

Dear Guest

We appreciate your wonderful feedback on Trip Advisor.

Best Wishes
Rui Antunes
Rooms Division Manager

Reviewed August 12, 2011

Hotel personnel regularly walk guest to their destinations in the interconnected shoppiing malls.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
Jvandermerwe, Manager at DaVinci Hotel and Suites, responded to this reviewResponded August 22, 2011

Dear Guest

Thank you for your kind words. We are delighted you enjoyed your stay with us and I will make sure the Concierge and his team are thanked personally for the impression they left with you. It makes me proud to see our service culture is noticed in all areas of the Hotel.

We hope to see you again soon. Thank you again.

Reviewed August 4, 2011

We spent two nights and the Davinci Hotel and Suites and we thought it was excellent. Our room was superb - tastefully contemporary and with everything you could possibly need. The bathroom was new, clean and fantastic! There was a beautiful big bath in the middle of the bathroom and then the shower and WC were behind frosted glass. It would have been lovely to relax in the bath with a glass of Champagne, alas not to be. I was very unwell during our time here and spent all of it asleep in bed. The staff were very helpful and arranged for an after hours Doctor to visit and showed professional and very courteous service.

Thank you Davinci Hotel, we will return!

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple

Dear Guest

I hope you are well now and sorry to hear about your unfortunate health situation, whilst staying with us.

Thank you though for taking the time to provice us with such kind feedback. We are delighted to hear you enjoyed not only the product but also the level of service we pride ourselves in.

We will be sure to share this with all the personnel and make sure each person is thanked.

I look forward to meeting you during your next visit to JHB and will most definitely make sure you get to enjoy that glass of bubbly!

Reviewed July 26, 2011

DaVinci is an all round amazing hotel !

It's absolutely beautiful in its own way. Very modern with crystals, mirrors - all black, white and silver. Really beautiful, from the entrance, reception to the rooms.

The service is out of this world, there is not one staff member from the security in the parking lot, to reception, room service, reservations, concierge, that doesnt assist immediately without a smile - even at 1am in the morning.
From the time we had made the booking, to checking out unexpectedly early in the morning, everything ran real smooth. In my opinion, definitely a 5 star - no doubt.

I would recommend this hotel to all kinds of travelers, its not specifically for leisure or business and doesn't just cater for certain age groups. But rather offers a modern yet classic appearance and also the service level is really something to make any guest feel special.

Thank you to all the staff and management for this wonderful stay. You guys can give yourselves a pat on the back for making this such an amazing place !

So looking forward to staying again :-)

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple

Dear Guest

Thank you so much for your kind words and for taking the time to provide us with feedback. We are delighted to hear you had a great stay at our Hotel and that we will have the opportunity to host you again in the not too distant future.

We will be sure to share this feedback with all the relevant personnel and thank each person.

We look forward to welcoming you back to our DAVINCI soon. Thank you again.

Reviewed June 24, 2011

i like the design of the hotel. very chic, just like most of the boutique hotels. hairdryer in the working desk drawer indeed is strange but does not bother me much. concierge people are extremely friendly, but service level from reception and housekeeping is not always consistent and proactive.

following items you will NOT be able to get in your room, so if you really mind not having them, bring your own:
IRON
CLOCK & ALARM
SLIPPER
THOOTH BRUSH

if i ever come back to Johannesburg, i will still choose DaVinci mainly because of its location. hotel is linked to Sandton City Mall, so it's super convenient for a meal, for shopping, for a movie, or even for some casino entertainment.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled on business

Dear Guest

Thank you for your kind words and contructive feedback with regards to your recent stay at the DAVINCI Hotel, Sandton, Johannesburg.

I am sorry to hear though that you did not quite enjoy all aspects of our Hotel, as we pride ourselves in delivering the best service, at all times, to all guests.

The items you mentioned in your review are not standard in each room however, can be requested separately and at no extra charge. If this was not the case, I apologise sincerely for the inconvenience.

We trust we will have the opportunity to welcome you back at the DAVINCI and exceed your expectations this time. Thank you again for the feedback.

Reviewed March 4, 2011

I stayed at the hotel for 5 days from the end of february 2011. I was attending a conference at the Sandton Convention Centre and wanted my hotel to be as close to it as possible. I had never heard of the Da Vinci, but was pleasantly surpised. I have been to sandton mall many times and had no idea it was there.

It is tucked into a cozy corner of the Mall, right behind the statue of Nelson mandela on the square that bears his name. From the ground floor its a quick elevator ride to the fifht floor and the door men were very courteous and efficient inded. ( Sicelo was most welcoming).

The foyer is all plush, shiny chrome and marble. The reception staff was friendly, helpful and very efficient. They helped me locate shops and restaurants and gave lots of general information. They also kindly extended my check out time by one hour so I could have a slow delightful breakfast before I made the mad dash to the airport.

The rooms are very nice indeed. They are spacious, air conditioned and very clean. Lots of mirrors for the narcisstic amongst us. The bathrooms are to die for, providing both a huge bath tub and a shower. Though it is a bit unnerving to use the toilet in the presence of others as it is walled off by opaque glass. Though there are another set of glass doors and curtains that one can draw when entering the bathroom area.........whatever.

The room service was pricey, but speedy. The housekeeping staff were very friendly and took in their stride when I told them in needed the linen changed because I had sat on the chocolate that is placed on the bed whenever the covers are turned down in the evening. They gigled and waved every time they saw me.

The pool area is on a terrace. though we we did not swim, but it was a great place for drinks and conversation. And it is right next to the main lounge where breakfast is served. And this is the major draw back: The lounge area feels pretty cramped because it is next to the reception area and is packed with dinner tables, and with the traffic to and from the reception desk one does not feel in a private place while eating. Though the lounge chairs themselves are large and comfy and great for a group meeting/ drinks.

The other drawback is the difficulty my friends had finding the place. From the main mall it is very hard to locate the corridor and the unmarked elevators that then take you to the hotel. I had to keep telling them to wait for me on the Nelson mandela square! The signage needs to be improved. But then again with easy access to the mall I could get to shops and restaurants quickly and securely.

The restaurant staff were great some days and on others I would sit and no one would ask me if I wanted coffee or eggs or what ever for breakfast. Not very consistent there. Though I must add that the Hostess would intervene quickly when I mentioned my predicament.
That said the rest of the staff were excellent. I had a porter, Mulaudzi, walk all the way to the Gautrain station dragging my suitcase and chatting away. He also helped get my train ticket and all. Very pleasant indeed.

Would I stay at the DaVinci again..........YES!

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled on business
Jvandermerwe, Manager at DaVinci Hotel and Suites, responded to this reviewResponded March 5, 2011

Dear Guest

Thank you for your kind words and valuable feedback. We have shared this information with all our staff, as we use this for training & motivation on a daily basis.

The areas of improvement you kindly noted, have been attended to and we are convinced that with your next visit to the DAVINCI Hotel & Suites, you will have an even more memorable experience!

We look forward to welcoming you back and thank you once again.