“DO NOT TRUST THEM” 1 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #14 of 73 Sandton B&B and Inns
Mozambique
“DO NOT TRUST THEM”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 10, 2013

Unfortunately, I am absolutely appalled by the service I have received by the Tladi Lodge staff! After making my booking online, I contacted the lodge directly to ask if I could pay the reservation in full for a honeymoon couple, which they agreed to and sent me the credit card authorisation form. I informed them I could only send a scan of my credit card the following morning, which they had no problem with.

I was shocked the next morning when I received an email to say that my reservation was cancelled and contacted the Lodge to find out what was happening and to confirm my reservation. They said my reservation was not valid and they told me to cancel my booking. This was completely contrary to what they had said the day before. I asked if I could go and pay at the lodge, and asked for alternative options but they just kept repeating - Cancel your reservation! For absolutely NO REASON!

I am offended by the treatment received by the Lodge, I have not managed to make another booking for my best friend and her fiancée on their honey moon night. I’m an international traveller. I have travelled all over the world and honestly, I’ve never been treated like this anywhere in the world.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Ian H, Owner at Tladi Lodge, responded to this review, December 11, 2013
Is this a bad joke or a malicious competitor?

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Kerteh, Malaysia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 18, 2013

I've just read the review below regarding the mouse and the ants and while I do respect that everyone is different and entitled to their own opinion, I also find it quite ironic that most people head to Southern Africa to try and spot lions, elephants, leopards, rhinos and buffalo... all hugely dangerous animals that could kill you in an instant and yet people will freak out over some ants!

Anyway back to our review... my husband and I stayed here overnight recently before picking up a self-drive vehicle and heading into Botswana, and for us it was the perfect choice.

Ian and Sylvia arranged for us to be picked up at the airport, and this made it very easy for us.

The lodge itself is lovely, we were in a type of cottage room which was furnished very tastefully and had lots of little extras. The bath is in the bedroom which we really liked and the room was spotless.

There's an honesty bar and we enjoyed quite a few glasses of the excellent house wine. We had arranged to have dinner at the lodge and when we arrived the chef came to speak to us to get an idea of what we would like and then made us a gorgeous 3 course meal which we had sitting out on the patio.

Breakfast was made to order and very yummy.

All in all we really enjoyed our stay at Tladi Lodge and will definitely return in the future.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank LindyIrving121
Ian H, Owner at Tladi Lodge, responded to this review, December 11, 2013
Thank you for your lovely review. We just love have guests like you and hope to welcome you back very soon :)
Durban, South Africa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 8, 2013

My husband and I spent the past weekend in the Fish Eagle suite, we absolutely loved it. Everything was spotlessly clean and tidy. There was no sign of any ants anywhere. The staff are very friendly and helpful. The fresh made to order breakfasts are the very best with bottomless plunger coffee, served on the patio outside so that we could watch the birdlife. We especially loved going for early morning jogs around the neighbourhood and the delightful welcome we received from Savanna and Levi when we returned. We will be back 

I cannot believe that the previous review is of the same room.

Room Tip: The Fish Eagle Suite is great for a weekend spoil!
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Lingesh P
Ian H, Owner at Tladi Lodge, responded to this review, November 14, 2013
Many thanks for your kind words.

We truly enjoyed hosting you at Tladi Lodge and look forward to your next visit.
Dubai
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 2, 2013

After having read some excellent Trip Advisor reviews on Tladi Lodge and seen the photos on their website, I booked their Fish Eagle Suite for 10 days from 21st October. Ian and Sylvia were accommodating and perfectly courteous, however the suite looked tired, a good paint job is required and the bathroom (shower door etc) could be updated. We ordered a pizza for the first night as we were late in, and sat in the lounge, only to find ants everywhere on the sofa, and worse still in the bed. This continued for a few days, despite insect spray, and finally Ian called in the pest control, however the problem continued, and not very pleasant sharing your accommodation with a bunch of ants, in your bed, shoes, clothes.

To top off this wonderful experience, on our last night there, we found another unwelcome guest in our room, a mouse! It took Ian and my husband over an hour to find and get rid of the mouse. This s not the level of service we expected at the market prices we were paying. On our last day, due to the issues we'd had, we asked Sylvia whether they would refund a couple of nights off the stay, and we were told absolutely not, which is fine, but then please provide the level and quality of service that we paid for.

I never expected 5 star service at Tladi Lodge, but I certainly didn't expect ants and rodents in our room either. I could live with the tired looking room, but find animals and insects unacceptable at the level of the lodge. Ian and Sylvia - I hope you update and get rid of the problems.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Sshah23920
Ian H, Owner at Tladi Lodge, responded to this review, November 5, 2013
Fortunately our rating on both Trip Advisor and Booking.Com tell us that we are not doing as bad a job as you make out.

I do appreciate that there are areas were can improve and we have taken note of these, but I feel that your hysterical reaction to tiny, harmless ants and a baby field mouse have resulted in an overall low score that is not a true reflection of Tladi Lodge, our staff and us as owners. You need to understand this is the rainy season in Africa and you were staying in a more natural environment than you might experience in a highrise hotel. We have pets and are are trying to encourage the owl population so we have to be careful how much poison we spread around.

I agree that it is not acceptable to have ants in the room, but please be aware that we had just had very heavy rains the day before you arrived and these ants often come out after the first rains of the season. I did not ignore the problem and did everything possible to rectify the situation. I also presented you with a very good bottle of red wine and an apology note that you did not even have the grace to acknowledge.

The mouse was not a great experience and I am sure you would not believe me when I tell you this is first occasion that a mouse has ever been found in a guest room in our 10 years of business. You say this was not the level of service you expected - well I did get out of bed at 10:30pm to sort out the problem and did not give up until I found the mouse.

Sylvia and I took exception to your husband threatening to post damaging information about us if we did not give you a 30% discount, and on this basis decided not to offer any discount.
Portland, Oregon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 27, 2013

My husband I recently returned from a fabulous safari in South Africa. We spent a day in Johannesburg at the front end of our trip as well as at the end. While there, we stayed at Tladi Lodge. It was a perfect starting point to our great adventure. The lodge is absolutely beautiful, peaceful and comfortable. Sylvia and Ian did everything they could to accommodate our wishes including organizing day trips to Soweto and the Apartheid Museum and the rest of the staff made us feel like family. We highly recommend the Tladi Lodge...we can only hope to return there soon!

Marianne and Fred Azinger

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Fred A
Ian H, Owner at Tladi Lodge, responded to this review, September 16, 2013
Thanks for your kind words. We are pleased we were able to add to your memorable trip and hope to see you in South Africa again soon.

Ian and Sylvia.
Cape Town Central, South Africa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 15, 2013

My one-night stay at the lodge was a memorable experience - The decor and amenities are of the utmost quality and are exceptionally well-maintained. My hosts were gracious and more than generous.

Tladi lodge is undoubtedly my preferred choice and I would gladly visit there again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Ferdinand N
Ian H, Owner at Tladi Lodge, responded to this review, September 16, 2013
Thanks for taking the time to review Tladi Lodge.

We look forward to hosting you again on your next visit to Sandton,
Ian and Sylvia
Istanbul, Turkey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 22, 2013

Before my first visit to Johannesburg I took time to read reviews of many hotels and lodges and the best ones were for Tladi Lodge. Having now stayed there several times (and with the full intention of staying there again regularly) I can now understand why the reviews are so good and why they are merited. Great accommodation, excellent food, warm and friendly atmosphere. All can be attributed to Sylvia and Ian.
Stewart P

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Stewart P
Ian H, Owner at Tladi Lodge, responded to this review, September 16, 2013
Thanks for taking the time to review Tladi Lodge. We are pleased you enjoy staying with us and look forward to hosting you again next week.

Ian and Sylvia
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sandton
Hilton Sandton
Michelangelo Hotel
#3 of 49 in Sandton
InterContinental Johannesburg Sandton Towers
African Pride Melrose Arch Hotel

Been to Tladi Lodge? Share your experiences!