About two or so years ago the location and food were the only good things about this hotel but it is has a dramatically changed since completing the refurbishment. I spend more than 20 nights a year here and do not really get tired of it.
- The best thing about this place is the location - right next to Mandela square and Sandton City mall. 3 mins walk to get to the square and mall. 2 floors down from the outside lift you end up at Game superstore (not many people know this, even frequent guests!).
- I stay here regularly on business trips and they seem to have been going through some transformations (including their frequent guest program) but biggest of all is the transformation of the rooms.
- Exceptional quality for the price paid (corporate rate).
- It is nice to see that the staff almost know their frequent guests by first name (and also my preference for Earl Grey tea!). Of all the staff, the breakfast ladies are the most pleasant and always welcome you with a smile.
- Breakfast gets a bit monotonous when you spend 20+ nights (at random times) at the hotel, but they have a good variety so it takes a while to exhaust all options.
- Not fully halaal friendly (meats) but have a vegetarian egg station (pure veg) during breakfasts.
- Good TV channels, including BBC entertainment
- A decent gym and nice small garden at the back (especially in the middle of the concrete jungle that you are surrounded by).
- Very comfy beds, clean
- Free coffee and tea provided in rooms
- A really big PLUS - they charge per room (so if you are two guests, the other guest is not an additional cost. Not usual with other surrounding hotels).
Things they could improve:
- it is almost standard to have free wifi in most hotels around the world (they have recently changed their policy and started including free wifi but limit the data that you use per day). As a frequent guest you get more than sufficient data (1G++) and I have never really been able to exhaust this.
- Their frequent guest program - you can only use your points for bookings at Tsogo/southern sun hotels and you must be a guest - you cannot gift this. It would be good if they could integrate/ partner this with frequent flyer miles. This is the one thing that I do not like with this group of hotels, especially as a frequent guest.
- The frequent guest points expire after one year but I see a few recent positive changes where they go on for a while plus other benefits.
- No drinking water provided in the room (I think it is safe to drink from the tap in SA) but as a corporate customer I get a bottle/day. It would be good if this was standard for all guests.
- No mini-bar or refrigerator in the room (I find this a slight downside).
- Rooms are a little on the smaller side but it is still quite adequate for my liking and certainly much bigger than many European hotels I have stayed at (even the Sheraton!).
I would certainly pick this any day (even personally) and it is one of the two top hotels for me in Sandton area.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- With its stylish urban design and fuss-free approach to accommodation, Garden Court Sandton City is situated in the heart of Johannesburg. It is here that functional design meets smart technology, resulting in a surprisingly simple hotel that is easily able to meet the needs of business and leisure travellers. The convenient location meanwhile has plenty of advantages for all guests. Business travellers are within easy reach of the acclaimed Sandton Convention Centre along with the rest of the Sandton CBD, while leisure travellers can enjoy the world-class shopping, entertainment and sight-seeing attractions found within the area. Getting around has never been easier, thanks to the high speed Gautrain route that spans across the city.Garden Court Sandton City Hotel Features A total of 444 rooms are offered, each furnished in a modern style. Aside from basic features such as baths and separate showers, facilities in each room include invitingly comfortable double or queen beds, workstations, air-conditioning, tea and coffee stations, DSTV, plug points and porter service among others. Wheelchair-accessible and smoking rooms can also be arranged on request. Other facilities that can be enjoyed within the hotel itself include free WiFi, complementary Gautrain station shuttles, Riffs Bar & Grill, a breakfast room, Sandton Sun Spa and access to other nearby amenities. Conferencing venues and facilities include two full-service meeting rooms, with packages on offer to suit your business needs. As a guest at our hotel, you can also look forward to a host of specials that add more value to your stay, such as our Frequent Guest loyalty programme. Take the stress out of travel planning with Garden Court Sandton City – an ideally located hotel that understands your needs. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Orbitz, Expedia, Hotels.com, Cancelon, Travelocity, TripOnline SA, getaroom.com and HotelQuickly so you can book your Garden Court Sandton City reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Garden Court Sandton City Hotel Sandton
- Garden Court Hotel Sandton
- Garden Court Sandton City Greater Johannesburg