“Great Located”

Garden Court Sandton City
Ranked #8 of 47 Hotels in Sandton
Reviewed November 27, 2013

The hotel is really well located, in front of the entrance of the Nelson Mandela Square/Sandton City complex, you just have to cross the street. He is also near of the Sandton Station of the gautrain, which is the most rapid way to reach the O.R. Tambo International Airport. It only takes 15 minutes to arrive. The hotel is nice for who is in sandton for business or for leisure also. The have a clean room, and a nice breakfast.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank BenjaminLevitre
Write a ReviewReviews (1,559)

Reviewed November 25, 2013

I have stayed here twice on business. Having stayed in other hotels in the area I don't think I will return.

The best thing about the hotel is it's location, only 100m or so from Nelson Mandela square. The rooms and hotel seem modern and are clean and not tired. The rooms were small though, smaller than I have seen in other local hotels of the same standard.

My general impression of the standard of service was that it needs improving. The staff seemed a bit too laid back and lacked urgency. There were specific issues as well. Arriving from a 0940 flight I had booked the room for the previous night so I would have no hassle with an early check in to get a shower. On arrival I was told that housekeeping was still making up the room. I had to complain in order to be given one immediately.

They offer free internet access, but it is of poor quality. Bandwidth is capped at 350MB, and a lot of sites (YouTube, Google Maps) are inaccessible. This seems to be deliberate as I had no problem getting to them when I connected through a VPN.

Overall for the same price you will do better in other local hotels. It is not a bad hotel, but If being able to walk to Nelson Mandela square is not that important to you, and there are alternatives available I would consider them first.

Room Tip: Rooms on the first floor are level with the adjoining roof which may be a security concern.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed November 9, 2013

Th hotel and facilities is good. The staff is absolutely unfriendly and unwilling to help or accomodate. We were to check in at 2:00, but reached there at 12 noon. We requested that they accomodate us for an early check in since we had children with us. Very unfriendly response, that too from a hotel industry, and we finally got our rooms after 2:15.

Room Tip: Dont expect too much from the staff
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank NKR1013A
RedLinz, General Manager at Garden Court Sandton City, responded to this reviewResponded November 21, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel and give us some feedback on your recent stay with us. It is sincerely appreciated and aids in ensuring we provide the best service.
I sincerely apologise for the unfriendliness of my team and assure you that it is not the usual standard of service that we pride ourselves on.
Our check in time is from 14h00 however, if we have rooms available, we are able to check our guests in earlier. I am sorry that we could not accommodate you and your family.
My team is definitely able to go the extra mile and I assure you that we work on continually improving our service.

I hope that you will afford us another opportunity of rectifying your impression of our hotel, if you are in South Africa again.

Reviewed November 9, 2013

I've been in this holtel last july 2013 for one night, and I appreciated very much the room that was modern in style clean and of the right size. Only some problems with the settings of the air conditioner.
The position is very good cause is not far from the gautrain rail station and very close to Mandela Square. Finally the hotel has an optimal value for money, and I suggest it for a staing in Sandton city in Johannesburg.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business

Dear Marco,

Thank you for your review of our hotel. Your great comments of our hotel are sincerely appreciated.
I have ensured that our Maintenance team check that all airconditioners are functioning as they should to ensure guests are not inconvenienced.
We hope to have you stay with us again soon.

Reviewed November 8, 2013

I stayed at the property for a business trip in the last week of October, prior to arriving had gone through the reviews on trip advisor. A lot of guests faced numerous issues, but my stay was made comfortable from check in to check out (23/10-26/10). The staff are extremely helpful as they do their utmost to make the guest feel comfortable. The rooms are cozy and all necessities are provided for. There was no fridge in the room when I checked with housekeeping they said if there is one available by maintenance it will be brought over in the next hour or two. Within 20 minutes had a min bar in the room.

Been to a lot of hotels around South Africa found this property extremely friendly and enjoyed the stay, not to mention the breakfast was amazing, would recommend anyone who is visiting Sandton, Jo0hannesburgn to stay here.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business

Dear Guest,

I am so glad that you had a wonderful stay with us at Garden Court Sandton City. Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel.
We are definitely working on ensuring that we provide consistently great service and an all round valuable experience.
I certainly hope that you will be back again soon and look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed November 8, 2013

For the price, very well worth it. Grace, one of the receptionists at the front desk, was very helpful to our large group. The place is very clean, the staff accommodating, housekeeping responsive and daily breakfast was solid (although I do wish they had some gluten free bread options). Directly across the street from Nelson Mandela Square where there are great restaurants and a nice mall. Would absolutely recommend to anyone who wants to stay in Sandton/Jo'burg but doesn't want to pay Michaelangelo prices....

Room Tip: You can ask for a non-smoking room--but make sure to repeat the request at check-in. The South side...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends

Dear World Traveller,

Thank you for your wonderful review of our hotel. Grace was extremely excited to be mentioned on Tripadvisor and your comments have left the team motivated to provide even better service to all of our valued guests.
I do hope that you will be back in Sandton sometime soon and that you will visit us again.

All the best.

Reviewed November 1, 2013

Recently stayed October 17 for 4 days with a group of 18. It is located across from a huge mall that has plenty of great restaurants to choose from, Movie Theater and a Bingo Casino. Try Ocean Basket in the mall for the best sea food. The breakfast in the hotel is great with plenty of items to choose from. The homemade waffles are a real treat. The rooms are on the small side compared to what I am used to in the US but comfortable and clean. All hotel staff was friendly and helpful. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review of our hotel. It is sincerely appreciated. I agree, our hotel is ideally located for shopping and entertainment and I am glad that you took advantage of that.
I am sorry that you found the bedroom was a bit small but I hope that you had all the comforts of home.

I look forward to welcoming you back when you are next in South Africa