“Beware...poor service”

Garden Court Sandton City
Ranked #11 of 46 Hotels in Sandton
Reviewed February 22, 2013

terrible staff, rude manager, they continually interrupted my meeting to sign slips as their shift were changing...stupid people with no common sense
tiny beds, small rooms and very noisy
i will not stay here ever again

Room Tip: Go somewhere else...
1  Thank Adrian875
RedLinz, General Manager at Garden Court Sandton City, responded to this reviewResponded March 6, 2013

Dear Adrian,

Thank you for taking the time to highlight your concerns on Trip Advisor. I sincerely apologise for my team having interrupted your meeting but as I explained, the incorrect room number was given for your bar bill and we had to rectify this on our side. Apologies, that I came across as being rude but I was simply explaining that I could not allow my employee to be physically pushed around when he was following procedure and in fact, I offered to check you out of the hotel at no charge to yourself.
My team and I pride ourselves on great service and I am really sorry that you did not experience this.

Kind Regards

Reviewed February 21, 2013

Step out and walk right into Mandela square. No need to even take a taxi from the airport - its a 5mins walk from the station. Room, bed and pillows were quite comfy. Love the rain groove shower head. Breakfast is also quite nice. Will take this over other similary priced hotels in Sandton.

• Stayed: February 2013
RedLinz, General Manager at Garden Court Sandton City, responded to this reviewResponded April 15, 2013

Dear Valued guest,

I sincerely appreciate the time taken to review our hotel. It certainly assists in improving our service.
I am so glad that you enjoyed your stay with us and hope that you will be back soon.
You will be pleased to know that our extensive refurbishment is coming to an end this month and we will also be opening the brand new Riffs Bar & Grill.

Looking forward to welcoming you back

Reviewed February 12, 2013

Location of the hotel, just across Nelson Mandela square in Sandton city is great. The room is big, very clean, breakfest was very reach and good. Bathroom had some problems, room sernice efficent, wi fi prices are in bites not minutes (a good think if you couls tell what is your acount right now which was not the case)/

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. It is really appreciated.
I am really glad that you enjoyed your stay with us and hope that you will be back again when you are next in Sandton.
I apologise for the issues in bathroom and hope that that did not impact too negatively on your stay.

Warm Regards

Reviewed February 10, 2013

What a lousy way to begin my trip to Joburg. I had booked for two nights at the hotel but when I arrived to check in was told, without apology, that my booking was only for one night. I was also informed that the hotel was in fact OVERBOOKED for the second night and had been for months and that "everyone" on the staff knew that. There was no apology, no assistance of any kind offered, just indifference and borderline rudeness. I decided to stay for the one night and make other arrangements for the second night of my stay. The only two positive things I can say about the hotel are that the bed was comfortable and that the staff in the breakfast hall were genuinely lovely. All other staff were at best indifferent. The rooms are tiny and noisy, the in-room facilites are minimal (not even a mini-bar?!), the pool miniscule and not very nice looking, etc etc. This is a hotel that has a killer location (just adjacent to Sandton City and Nelson Mandela Square) and has clearly realized that because of this location people will always stay there, so there is no need to treat the clients properly. Even though the location is amazing and I will need another night or two in a hotel at the end of my stay in Joburg, I will never stay in another hotel from this chain again. Breakfast was also mediocre- ok selection but most of the food tasteless.

1  Thank khoff77
RedLinz, General Manager at Garden Court Sandton City, responded to this reviewResponded April 14, 2013

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your review of our hotel. It is really appreciated and aids in improving our service.
I sincerely apologise for the poor arrival experience and assure you that we are working on improving our service. I unfortunately do not have the detail of your booking and would happily investigate what went wrong if you would email me on linda.reddy@tsogosun.com.
I have passed on the feedback regarding breakfast to our chef, to monitor and ensure a high quality is maintained.
I want to assure you that we do not rely on our location to ensure our hotel is full. We rely on repeat business from satisfied guests which is why feedback like yours is extremely valuable.
I urge you give us another opportunity when you are next in Sandton. Our refurbishment is almost at completion and we will be opening our Riffs Bar & Grill in May.

Looking forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Warm Regards

Reviewed January 28, 2013

Check out started with us being told we were at the wrong hotel. Upon my insistance that we had booked correctly, and handing over the booking confirmation, my reservation was finally found with no apology. The staff were happy to have made us drive to the other hotel to check instead of making a phone call. We requested a non-smoking room and were given a smoking one. We then had to go back downstaris to correct the mistake and move all our luggage ourselves, despite the mistake being the hotels fault. Not the best first impression to make on tired travelling guests. The amount of noise in the hotel was excessive during my stay. The renovated rooms all have doors which slam shut with a bang that echoes down the corridors. An incredibly loud group were staying in the same corridor and woke us up by standing outside the elevators and screaming up and down the corridors for literally 45 minutes, starting before 6am. My repeated requests for the staff to intervene were completely ignored with no one coming to check at all despite telling me that someone had already been sent up. I believe that staff have a responsiblity to ensure that some guests are not infringing on the enjoyment of other guests. I have seen similar comments made in other reviews regarding the unhelpful reception staff.
The rooms themselves are comfortable and the hotel is conveniently located if you intend to spend time at sandton city. The staff in the breakfast room are friendly and helpful and create a stark contrast with the uninterested and condescending service offered at reception.
Overall, there are much better hotels for the same price in and around the area. We will not be staying here in the future.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank User764
RedLinz, General Manager at Garden Court Sandton City, responded to this reviewResponded March 7, 2013

Dear User 764,

Thank you for reviewing our hotel and for your comments which aids in improving our service. I sincerely apologise for the terrible experience that you have had at our hotel and assure you that it is not the usual standard of service at Garden Court Sandton City.
We have definitely improved on our reception and general staff service since your stay. I have also ensured that the door closers have been adjusted to prevent the loud banging sound you experienced.
I sincerely hope that you will give us an opportunity to rectify your impression of our hotel when you are next in Sandton.

Please contact me directly should you wish to make a booking.
I am looking forward to having you stay with us again.

Reviewed January 20, 2013

I stayed at this hotel for 1 night only. We had to attend a wedding in the area.

The check in was smooth and efficient. Rooms were clean and fresh. The shower in the bathroom was much appreciated, instead of the shower head in the bath tub and the shower curtain sticking to your body. Check out also was fast and efficient.

Now for the negatives. - the lifts were a major problem. - there were three lifts but none operational on the Saturday night. This was a major issue as we had to attend a wedding but but could not get down. I had tried to order room service before the wedding but the phones were not answered.

When we got up in the morning the room was flooded with water from the air conditioner.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank imraan2

Dear Imraan,

Thank you for reviewing our hotel. Your time and comments are sincerely appreciated. I am happy to learn that you enjoyed your stay with us. All of your concerns have been noted and in fact rectified already. Due to the extensive refurbishment that the hotel was undergoing, we did have some problems with the lifts and airconditioners which have been rectified.

I look forward to having you stay with us again soon.

Reviewed January 16, 2013

The same agent was there for my my check in and check out. She was extremely unfriendly during check in, keyed in the wrong # for my credit card, and she was sick and coughing on everything/everywhere. At checkout, she keyed in the credit card number wrong again, and kept insisting it was the card, I had to call my credit card company on my mobile (international call) for them to tell me that she had keyed in the wrong expiration date. Again she denied it, but gave it one last try - and the card worked. The checkout process took 20 minutes. Again, she was coughing on everything/everywhere. I understand staff gets sick, but if if effects the public, they should not be front desk staff. Not once did she apologize for any inconvenience. I can be pretty understanding but her attitude and no apology was unacceptable.

Also, I tried to call the consierge desk for 15 minutes and could not get an answer. Finally I went down to ask for luggage assistance and it was brought down.
I've stayed at the other Garden Court before (in the same area) and I didn't have these experiences. The location and price are great, but given the service I received, it's doubtful I'll be staying here again.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank NB-in-MG

Dear NB - in-MG,

Thank you for your valuable feedback on your recent stay with us. It is appreciated and aids in improving our service offering.
I sincerely apologise for the shocking service received from the receptionist and assure you that we have already taken the necessary action to ensure that this does not occur again.
I have taken all your comments into consideration and ask that you please visit us again when you are next in Sandton. I assure you that you will note a vast improvement in service.

Looking forward to welcoming you back.