“Excellent stay in Sandton”

Radisson Blu Hotel Sandton, Johannesburg
Ranked #14 of 47 Hotels in Sandton
Reviewed June 19, 2014

I stayed ther for few nights, the rooms are big with a nice view of Sandton. In the room there is a shower and a bath. The breakfast is excellent and you can also find vegan product! Everything is fresh and well presented. Some negative aspects are the noice in the rooms at the lower floors, mainly due to the bar open till late hours, the service in the restaurant that is very noisy (they talk loudly each other with no respect of the guests) and take away the plates before you finish your food (!!!). Excpet this few negative things the hotel is very nice, clean, the room are confortable (even not very warn during winter time). And the fitness center is simply EXCELLENT!

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled on business
General M, Manager at Radisson Blu Hotel Sandton, Johannesburg, responded to this reviewResponded June 23, 2014

Good day,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel on TripAdvisor - your feedback is extremely important to us.

I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed the fitness centre, spacious rooms with bath and shower, great views of Sandton and our Super Breakfast Buffet.

I would like to apologise for the noise you experienced whilst staying with us. I will also be addressing the issues you expereinced in the restaurant as this is not the lasting impression we wish to leave on our guests.

I do hope that your travels bring you back to Johannesburg in the not too distant future and that we will be able to meet and exceed your expectations on your next stay with us.

Eirik Bergvoll

Write a ReviewReviews (1,222)

Reviewed June 17, 2014

In a safer suburb of Joburg and convenient enough to allow easy access to local eating and shopping joints. Stayed here on business for 2 months and overall stay was very good. Up to date and well maintained facilities and courteous staff round up the experience. The only thing lacking would be the dining options. Breakfast spread was good but they can definitely do with a better coffee machine. Gym (Platinum) is very good and spread over three floors with an indoor swimming pool.

Room Tip: Choose rooms on higher floor as they are quieter. Lower rooms tend to get a lot of noise from Bar ar...
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
General M, Manager at Radisson Blu Hotel Sandton, Johannesburg, responded to this reviewResponded June 18, 2014

Good Day,

Thank you for taking the time to review the Radisson Blu Hotel Sandton on TripAdvisor.

I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and we will be sure to take your suggestions on board.

I do hope that your travels bring you back to Johannesburg in the not too distant future and look forward to being able to host you once again.

Reviewed June 16, 2014

We stayed in the Radisson for a week whilst my husband was working. The quality of our nights' sleep was so good we subsequently ordered one of their beds. We are delighted and would encourage anyone to stay there.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
General M, Manager at Radisson Blu Hotel Sandton, Johannesburg, responded to this reviewResponded June 17, 2014

Good Day,

Thank you for taking the time to review and compliment our hotel on TripAdvisor.

I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your time with us and hope you are enjoying your new bed.

I hope that you have the opportunity to return to Johannesburg and if so, we look forward to hosting you again.

Reviewed June 11, 2014

I stayed in this hotel a couple of times and it really is fantastic

I did have a problem when checking in as I had a pre-paid rate from when I booked via the Club Carlsson website. Its a strictly pay in advance, no cancellation rate, so when I checked in I was shocked to find they wanted to charge me again and secure the whole booking. Claiming they had not taken the payment, yet I booked and paid 2 months earlier. As it happens sometimes the hotel doesn't actually take the payment. This is awful as you as a pre payment guest believe you have paid when sometimes you may not have done. If they have a pre payment rate they must do that and not mislead clients into thinking they have paid months before and cause issues at check in. Its very misleading and quite honestly can cause the hotel problems it not ought to have...why do they do this I do not know. Especially for business travellers

Very modern hotel, only built 3-4 years ago for the football world cup timing, so no complaints about decor.

Great location and plenty of parking underneath. The rooms are modern and of a good size but will say that the air-con isn't as powerful as it ought to be. Nice lively bar area, however be careful, as I had a room on the 14th floor (the 13th floor is reception and the bar) The problem with this is that the hotel layout is a very open high centre with rooms going around the outside facing inside. Bit like the inside of a ship...So you get a lot of noise at night when the bar is full as the sound echoes throughout. Ok if you get a high floor but do try and avoid a low floor.
The restaurant..hmm...great breakfast selection, but the usual slow inattentive (but friendly) service. the staff to like to huddle together and chat and laugh at the expense of guests left waiting for just the basics like coffee or an extra plate/knife. Please don't let this put you off, this is South Africa and you will find very friendly but forgetful sloppy service everywhere.
Sadly when eating one evening I had a starter that had raw king prawns, that wasnt right, they were supposed to be cold but not uncooked (grey in colour), so when I sent it back I chose another starter. That was cold when it should have been hot so third time lucky, I had a decent starter. The chef came out, apologised personally and that was a lovely touch. he was so friendly and sorry, I felt guilty!
Overall its a great hotel, and the only reason i am not giving 5 stars is the slow internet, noisy bar, poor aircon and bad dining experience, but would defo stay again

Good Day,

I would like to apologise for the complications you experienced upon check in and do hope that our reception staff were able to assist you accordingly. We will be sure to allocate you a room away from the atrium for future visits.

I am disappointed to hear about the poor service in the restaurant and unfortunate starters, however this has been addressed with the team in order to ensure this does not happen again.

I would like to again thank you for your feedback as this will assist us in improving our all round service in the hotel.

I, along with my team, look forward to welcoming you back to Johannesburg in the near future.

Reviewed June 11, 2014

Having stayed at this hotel on more than 10 separate occasions I'd say it passes as a solid business hotel, good location, reasonable food and service. Internet is ok however some rooms have subpar wi-fi coverage.

Despite the above on my last stay, one of the staff rummaged through my luggage and stole a cologne and left my bag jumbled up. I reported this to the front desk with a very definite time slot of approximately 6 hours between checking in at 15:00 leaving the hotel and coming in the evening to find things were not as I left them. The saddest part is the case was treated as if its a regular occurrence, no on seemed surprised.

As I checked out 2 days later the case was still 'under investigation'. I followed up with multiple emails and the standard response was 'we are still investigating'. 9 business days later i got an email saying "unfortunately we are unable to resolve the alleged loss... blah blah blah"

The loss of property is one thing but the reaction thereafter is just pathetic - I'll be avoiding this hotel like the plague for my future stays

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank Njoroge S
General M, Manager at Radisson Blu Hotel Sandton, Johannesburg, responded to this reviewResponded June 16, 2014

Good Day,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel on TripAdvisor. Your feedback is important to us.

I do hope that you will reconsider your decision and stay with us upon future travels to Johannesburg and allow us to restore your faith in our property.

Reviewed June 5, 2014

Stayed for 3 days during a business trip. The hotel was centrally located and provided decent services. There was a round trip shuttle service to the near by Nelson Mandela Square. But I found the staff somewhat curt. I wasnt sure if this was the local communication style or me reading it wrong but it was felt by my team as well. Other than that, the hotel was great. Good, clean and well maintained rooms. As many of the others have written, it was good but nothing special or great.

Room Tip: The elevators are slow so I suggest taking a room closer to the 12th floor (reception)
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled on business
General M, General Manager at Radisson Blu Hotel Sandton, Johannesburg, responded to this reviewResponded June 9, 2014

Thank you for your feedback and for taking the time to write about your experience on Tripadvisor. We are also happy to read that you appreciated our rooms.

We apologize for the disappointment you felt with our staff. We work hard to make sure our guests receive our best service and I have spoken to all my departments regarding this.

We sincerely hope to host you in the near future and please follow us on Facebook and Twitter (@RadbluSandton) to stay informed of our upcoming offers.

Reviewed May 31, 2014

Nicely located close to Sandton Mall, I think of this as a great gym (three floors, pool, running track....) with an adjacent hotel, so if you need to have a solid workout, this is my favorite hotel in Sandton. The hotel is very correct, large rooms, great breakfast, good service, but not necessarily charming or lively.

Room Tip: High up gives a beautiful view of Sandton and all the way to CBD in Joburg
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled on business
General M, General Manager at Radisson Blu Hotel Sandton, Johannesburg, responded to this reviewResponded June 2, 2014

Thank you for your feedback and for taking the time to write about your experience on Tripadvisor We are extremely delighted that you considered us to be a hotel of a high standard especially our Fitness Centre.

We look forward to hosting you in the near future and please follow us on Facebook and Twitter (@RadbluSandton) to stay informed of our upcoming offers.