“Needs improvement”

Radisson Blu Hotel Sandton, Johannesburg
Ranked #14 of 46 Hotels in Sandton
Reviewed February 26, 2014

Superficially, this hotel is a modern twenty-something storey building with contemporary interior design. But things are not always what they seem. When I got to my room I found that the heavy dark-wood entrance door was badly fitted, and would stay open unless pushed quite robustly to a close.
I had to change rooms after a loud noise of undetermined source arose every few minutes during the late evening. It sounded as though someone was repeatedly dragging an item of heavy furniture across the floor of the bedroom immediately above mine. When I first reported it, I got the impression that the staff did not believe me. I was told that there was no maintenance work going on at this late hour (10.30pm). I had to insist on a manager coming to my room to hear it for himself.
The bedroom interior was quirkily contemporary and colour-coordinated in blue-grey-cream and dark wood. The ready-to-go electric hairdryer, plugged-in and sitting on top of the work desk was not an appealing look. The in-room WIFI internet connection was agonisingly slow throughout my stay. There was no iron or ironing board in the room, which is a worldwide standard in hotels of this category. A single armchair was bizarrely low-seated compared to other furniture in the room and its fabric was worn and stained. The bathroom shower appliance was not great, nor was the water pressure. The shower floor mosaic-tile grouting appeared dirty, and mould was apparent around the shower floor edges. The bed would have been fairly comfortable, except that the mattress dropped away towards the edge of the bed, as if from heavy wear, creating the impression of sleeping on a slope.
Three occasions of room service were delivered in reasonable time, but the perfunctory service could not be described as friendly. Risotto was delivered luke warm. At breakfast an item was missing from my order, and a minuscule tea pot poured out a weak, cloudy 'English Breakfast' tea that tasted nothing like its description. The overall impression of this hotel was well below average for its class.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled solo
2  Thank WorldTrampas
General M, Manager at Radisson Blu Hotel Sandton, Johannesburg, responded to this reviewResponded March 25, 2014

Good Day,

Thank you for taking the time to review the Radisson Blu Hotel Sandton.

Your comments and feedback is vital in ensuring that we meet our guests needs and expectations and unfortunately on this occasion we have let ourselves down.

I have addressed all your concerns with the management team in order for this to be avoided in the future.

I do hope that you will give us a second chance upon your next visit to Johannesburg and hope that we can meet and exceed your expectations.

There are newer reviews for Radisson Blu Hotel Sandton, Johannesburg

Reviewed February 19, 2014

Located in a nice area with great views. the hotel is very clean with plenty of staff on duty. It feels safe. Room was very good, but I did pay for a superior outward looking room. I know others have reported noise if facing inwards to the atrium. Food in the restaurant was very good and the highlight was the service from the friendly and enthusiastic waiting staff. Others have reported poor customer facing skills from reception etc. It was not poor but was a little indifferent. A smile and hello really does help after a 24 hour journey....

Hotel transport very useful for getting to local shops and onward to Mandela Square.

Bar can be quite buzzy whilst BA staff have a layover - nice to see an hotel bar being used. The quiet night following (pre-flight) bit annoyed the staff decided to close an hour early to have an early night leaving some paying guests with the only option to go to their rooms to order room service. All in all a good place, just some tweaks required to make you feel more welcome.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business

Good Day,

Thank you for your wonderful review and comments on TripAdvisor.

We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us at the Radisson Blu Hotel Sandton. Our friendly staff that assisted you show true Yes I Can! Spirit however I am disappointed you did not get the welcome you deserve from our Reception desk - we will look into this.

We will look into the bar staff on duty having left earlier on one occasion and address the matter accordingly.

I do hope to welcome you back to Sandton in the near future.

Reviewed February 13, 2014

Super staff, nice rooms, good breakfast-what more could you want? From the very friendly valet parking chaps, to the receptionist, all the staff really friendly. Very good value breakfast, just a bit of an odd lift system...

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
General M, Manager at Radisson Blu Hotel Sandton, Johannesburg, responded to this reviewResponded March 24, 2014

Good day,

Thank you for your wonderful review of the Radisson Blu Hotel Sandton from your most recent visit.

Your positive comments are a great compliment to our Yes I Can! Service philosophy as we continuously strive to ensure our guests are looked after.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Johannesburg in the near future.

Reviewed February 10, 2014

My second home. Stayed for about 6months. The staff, cleanliness, ambience was fantastic. I surely recommend this to everyone who visits Jo'burg. The staff including house keeping, room service, concierge and reception was fantastic.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Radisson Blu Hotels

Good Day,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel on TripAdvisor.

From all of the team here at the Radisson Blu Hotel Sandton we thoroughly enjoyed having you stay with us for +/- 6 months and hope that you will return in the not too distant future - you are always welcoming as we are your home away from home.

Reviewed February 9, 2014

Very good hotel, close to Nelson Mandela Square. Rooms are nice and spacious with good beds and aircon. Flat screen tv and minibar with both a Nespresso mashine and means to make normal coffee or tea. Some rooms have a big balcony with furniture and a great wiew. It has has a complementary shuttlebus to Nelson Mandela Square that runs every 30.min. Nice outside pool with a bar at 5. floor. Good safety, and good service.

Room Tip: They have rooms if your smoke. Room 1409 has a balcony with great wiew.
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled solo

Good day,

Thank you for taking the time to review the Radisson Blu Hotel Sandton on TripAdvisor.

We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and look forward to welcoming you again in the near future.

Reviewed February 5, 2014

Beware when booking Radisson Blu "near to the Gautrain" It's easy to get to Sandton from the airport by Gautrain. But this Radisson Blu is NOT the one diagonally opposite the train station, it's about 200m down the road, not ideal with suitcases. Rooms fine, but check-in staff not very friendly. Fortunately staff at the other hotel arranged their free shuttle bus to take us to this one.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Radisson Blu Hotels
1  Thank Mark/Janet N
General M, Manager at Radisson Blu Hotel Sandton, Johannesburg, responded to this reviewResponded March 12, 2014

Good Day,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel on TripAdvisor.

You are correct in saying we are slightly down the road from the Gautrain Station - upon your next visit we have a complimentary shuttle from the train station to the hotel which we can gladly send to collect you.

I am happy to hear you enjoyed our rooms however disappointed that our staff were not friendly upon check in - I will ensure that this is addressed immediately.

I look forward to your next visit to Johannesburg and the Radisson Blu Hotel Sandton.

Reviewed February 4, 2014

Awesome location - slap bang in the middle of Sandton and a stone's throw from Sandton City which offers world class shopping. Easy access to the main roads in and out of the area. with underground parking if required.
Our spacious room was comfortable and the large bathroom spotless. The feather pillows I had requested when booking were a luxurious cherry on top.
I will definitely stay here again.

Only one negative - (apart from being woken up on Sunday morning by one of the staff trying to get into our room to deliver an iron and ironing board we did not ask for - lucky the additional latch prevented him from waltzing in unannounced) - our package did not include breakfast - and when we asked about how muck it would be, we were put off by the price - R165.00 each. It may only be about 9 GBP - which for foreigners is probably the norm and affordable - but I think that it is an excessive price for breakfast. How much breakfast can one eat to justify the price!!

Room Tip: Put the additional latch on when sleeping!!!
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank AngelaBax

Good Day,

Thank you for your kind words and great review of our hotel on TripAdvisor, we appreciate your support and feedback.

We are extremely lucky to be located in the heart of Sandton with easy access to the Gautrain Station, Sandton City Shopping Centre as well as most corporate businesses in the area. I am glad to hear that these were all positives for you during your stay with us.

I trust that our staff will continuously go the extra mile to ensure our guests are happy and this is displayed in your review regarding the feather pillows in your room - what a wonderful way to be looked after.

I look forward to your next visit to Johannesburg.