“Excellent Business Hotel” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #9 of 48 Hotels in Sandton
Bratislava, Slovakia
“Excellent Business Hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2013

I stayed in this hotel for 4 nights in April. I arrived in themorning, hotel taxi pick-up from the airport was ok, I received the room in the morning without any waiting. It is modern, clear, nicely decorated. Staff is very helpful and kind. Breakfast is great, I liked mainly the fresh fruits selection, in the same restaurant you can have a very good dinner too (especially baked Salmon, Pinotage red wine, etc.). Check-in area is on the floor 13, which confused me a bit at the beginning, maybe it is for a safety reasons. Hotel has a pool outside (10 floor) but in case of bad weather, there is one also inside (8 floor). The gym and Spa are perfect. My room on floor 21 had a splendid view. It was large, nice, with coffee and tea making amenities. Bathroom was also huge and clean. Wifi was a bit slow and it worked better in the outside pool area. From this hotel it is about 45min drive to Lions Park. I believe this hotel offers all you may need during your stay. I do not attach any fotos, as the hotel and the rooms look the same as you see on their webpage.

• 5 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (149)
  • Czech first
  • Indonesian first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2013

I had a really nice stay here. I would recommend it to any business travelers.The food is good and the service is fantastic. Also, take advantage of the gym and indoor lap pool--Olympic quality. The location was good for someone working in Sandton. I stayed here for two weeks and it felt like home at the end of the trip. There is also a free shuttle service to the mall and in-between hotels.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Hong Kong, China
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2013

We stayed here one night before moving onwards to Capetown. Rooms were large and quite nice, huge bathroom with nice amenities.

Check in area is on the 13th floor which is separate from the lobby area on the ground floor. Not sure if this is for security or design reasons. Hotel staff was a mix-- the bartender was super nice as well as the other restaurant staff. However the check-in staff was only ok-- we had a bored man whom checked us in and was too impatient to get back to his phone to tell us more details about the hotel shuttle and restaurant locations but we had a really nice woman the next day that printed out our boarding passes.

There is a free shuttle that takes you to Sandton mall which was handy as we went to eat at the Butcher Shop (recommended) and the shuttle stops right in front of the restaurant.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Cape Town
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2013

Excellent 5* city hotel in the heart of Sandton!

Lovely modern & comfortable rooms with full bathroom & great views of Sandton.

All public areas clean and with super trendy decor. Nice atmosphere. Breakfast excellent and service extremely efficient.

Made use of the world-class gym - high recommended.

Great size swimming pool with stunning views of Sandton.

Complimentary shuttle to Nelson Mandela Square which offers a massive shopping mall and a large array of restaurants. The square is a real buzz in the evenings.

Overall Sandton made us feel very safe and the people very friendly. We look forward to going back soon.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank CapetonianForever
Chelmsford, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

Good quality accomodation within east reach of Sandto shopping centre. Staff friendly, food pretty good and rooms well equipped, quiet and comfortable. Actually, the restaurant was very good - try the springbok steak it was great!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank MrCreosote21
London
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

I travel to Johannesburg/Sandton several times a year for business and I always stay at this hotel. The only reason I do that is that the gym, Platinum, is absolutely brilliant. You have access to it if you stay at the hotel, but it's not owned or run by Radisson, it's a fully fledged gym with lots of machines, classes and even an indoor running track! If you get a room high up you'll have really nice views as well.

Now the negatives: Don't expect any special treatment if you're a regular customer. The staff seems genuinely uninterested in service and kind of have the attitude that you should be grateful to stay at this the greatest hotel in the world... (which it hardly is). This hotel could be miles better if they trained the staff properly. I'd put it down to poor management.

Also the food is average at best and expensive compared to anywhere else around the hotel. So avoid the restaurant/room service if you can.

If it wasn't for the brilliant gym I'd given this establishment one or two stars and I would not consider staying there again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room high up, the side facing downtown Johannesburg gives you a nice skyline with Ponte Ci...
    • 2 of 5 stars
    • 1 of 5 stars
1 Thank Markus A
London, UK
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013

After a wonderful stay where I used the fantastic gym on the 10th floor; enjoyed the breakfast and sampled the lovely room service - I was faced with Sobie at check out.

I tried to request that instead of making a fresh payment request; he simply add the amount I had spent to the pre-authorised amount as it can take up to 2 weeks for the funds to be returned to my account (and I still have another 3 hotels to stay in). Before I had finished the sentence, he rolled his eyes and pursed his lips...then proceeded to talk over me explaining I was wrong and it would be refunded immediately. Attempts to explain this isn't the case were met with more eye rolling and being told that I didn't know what I was talking about.

I explained that I stay in hotels regularly and it may be a case he was given the wrong information. He just shrugged and then refused to engage me in any further conversation. I had a flight to catch and conceded. When I said that I would be sending through feedback of the experience when the Radisson survey came through - he again just shrugged and said fine.

I really wanted to enjoy my time at the Radisson and was positive even at 4am when I checked out.

Please Radisson - I'm not the only one who has mentioned customer service...take a leaf out of the Sheraton book and update your customers ervice training.

• 1 of 5 stars
1 Thank Deneshae
KP1986, Manager at Radisson Blu Hotel Sandton, Johannesburg, responded to this review, May 31, 2013
Dear Deneshae,

Thank you for your review on TripAdvisor, and the feedback regarding your experience upon check out. This is not the way we wish our guests to be treated & wish to pass on our sincere apologies for this.

We have addressed the way in which you were treated & continuously retrain our employees on the importance of service & our our Mission to provide unique Yes I Can! Service.

We hope that this has not deterred you from staying at the Radisson Blu Hotel Sandton & do wish to see you again in the near future to ensure you leave having received the best of South African hospitality at our hotel.

With kind regards