By all rights this hotel should be a typical international business class hotel - nothing over the top, but it has all the basics to make for a pleasant if not memorable stay: newish facilities, nicely sized rooms with decent appointments, good breakfast, free shuttle and decent Internet. However, after staying at the Radisson Blu for 6 nights in November 2011, I will not be coming back. Here is why:
1) My first warning sign was at lunch (1:30pm) immediately after I checked in. Despite the restaurant being relatively empty it took 50 min from the time I ordered to receive my meal (a mediocre pizza). Because the Radission has an open kitchen concept, I was able to see that it took a full 25 minutes before the chef even got to my order.
2) Apparently when we arrived there was a water main problem in the neighborhood and the hotel had been without water. This is not the end of the world, but what annoys me is that the check-in staff did not even both to tell me, nor was there any bottled water in the room so that I could at least brush my teeth. I accept the fact that the water main break is outside the hotel's control, but some simple courtesy would've greatly lessened the annoyance.
3) For several nights there were intermittent power failures. These appeared to be outside the hotel's control, but again management did nothing. We were stuck in the restaurant for more than an hour because the elevators were off and no one seemed to even know if the electronic keys would work. The smart thing to do in that case would've been to give folks a bottle of wine or a dessert or something on the house. Instead, we had to sit in the dark and were told not to leave until the power came back on so we could settle the bill.
4) The hotel advertises a business center, but doesn't really have printing/copying facilities that work.
5) For the most part, restaurant and front desk staff seem to view their guests as an distraction.
6) This is a new hotel and I would've thought the designers would've learned the lesson that having the bar at the base of an atrium that opens to most of the rooms is a really bad idea for noise. While I had only one night where this was a problem, I suspect Friday or Saturday nights could be miserable for those on the 14th floor (like I was).
7) The front desk and the concierge repeatedly lost taxi/car reservations. Basically, we learned to reconfirm at least twice to be sure we would have a vehicle when we needed it.
All of these problems point to weak management in my view and that is why I will not be coming back on my next visit to South Africa.
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Orbitz, Booking.com, Agoda, Rezidor and Priceline so you can book your Radisson Blu Hotel Sandton, Johannesburg reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Radisson Blu Hotel Sandton, Johannesburg Greater Johannesburg