“Exceeded My Expectations”

Ranked #19 of 48 Hotels in Sandton
East Coast
“Exceeded My Expectations”
Reviewed November 3, 2010

With very few exceptions, I think of the Holiday Inn brand as a bargain hotel chain, with few frills. For that reason, I was very pleasantly surprised to find in the Holiday Inn Sandton an upscale hotel with an exceptional, courteous staff. I was particularly impressed with front desk representative, Wendy, who handled a tricky billing issue with professionalism, empathy, and grace under pressure; the hotel is to be commended for assigning people of her caliber as the "face to the customer". A patron's most aggravating problem can be smoothed over with an empathetic, thoughtful ear as the hotel found in Wendy-- kudos. Specific observations about the hotel: lovely, modern lobby; outstanding breakfast buffet, picturesque sky bar, good and safe location, nice room. Only areas for improvement-- repeated issues with my room key not working, the walls are quite thin and the no smoking requirement was clearly not observed in one of the rooms adjacent to mine. While the thin walls can perhaps be addressed with a good pair of earplugs, the hotel needs to adopt a policy of how to handle smokers who break the rules. I did notify the hotel that I clearly smelled cigarette smoke and the response was inadequate. Nonetheless, it was a nice stay and I would certainly return.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
Hotel_Management2010, General Manager at Holiday Inn Sandton - Rivonia Road, responded to this review, November 3, 2010
Dear Guest,

Greetings from all of us at the Holiday Inn Sandton! We are thrilled to hear we exceeded your expectations and you enjoyed your stay with us while being in Sandton, Johannesburg.

I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed our facilities, our breakfast offering and Skye Bar, but more importantly, that our team has lived up to the promise by providing you with genuine and true hospitality. Your commendations of Wendy in particular are highly valued, and I wish to assure you that we have congratulated her for doing such an outstanding job!

We look forward to welcoming you back again soon. Please do not hesitate to contact me personally for any further assistance you may require in future.

Yours sincerely,

Holiday Inn Sandton

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (119)
Brighton, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 20, 2010

I have never been more pleased to be oh so wrong! I had very little expectations of this town and hotel. How wrong was I???? The hotel was a lovely business hotel. The staff were so willing to help and answer any questions etc. The bar area (Chairmans Bar) was very pleasant and the restaurant better than I expected (although only had breakfast - which was a feast in itself!) I'm trying to decide why I really loved this hotel, apart from the amazing bed, I think it was simply the staff that made my staff so good. The roof top pool is also a nice touch! There's a good restaurant just outside called the Europa. (I've previously reviewed Ruths Chris steak house in NYC - Trust me, the fillet steak in the Europa is just as good at a FRACTION of the price!).

2 Thank The Usual Suspect
Hotel_Management2010, General Manager at Holiday Inn Sandton - Rivonia Road, responded to this review, October 21, 2010
Dear Guest,

On behalf of the entire team at the Holiday Inn Sandton, I would like to sincerely thank you for your kind words.

We are thrilled to hear you enjoyed your stay with us and were "pleasantly suprised" by the level of service offered. I can assure you I will pass on your commendations to all of our team members.

Our beautiful pool deck, our comfortable rooms, our Charmain Bar, the Lettuce and Lime Restaurant but more importantly - our team - will be looking forward hosting you during your next stay in Johannesburg!

Yours sincerely,

Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed October 9, 2010

This hotel met expectations. Decent, clean room. I ate the hotel breakfast twice and it was full of fresh fruits and a variety of other healthy choices. Chefs make eggs promptly to order, etc. There is a shopping mall next door with some other dining options.

Service in this hotel is attentive and quite friendly. My only complaint is a common one: The wireless Internet service was slow to the point of being unusable. I paid $21 US for this and felt ripped off. This has become all too common in big hotels.

I used the microscopic gym and it was the usual for this kind of hotel. Nice view.

Good security, bellmen, front desk and restaurant staff.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
Hotel_Management2010, General Manager at Holiday Inn Sandton - Rivonia Road, responded to this review, October 12, 2010
Dear Guest,

Thank you for the feedback provided on your stay with us at the Holiday Inn Sandton. Its great to hear you enjoyed our facilities and service offered by the Holiday In team. I will ensure your positive comments on our breakfast offering will be shared with the entire kitchen team.

Please accept my sincere apologies for the inconvenience caused when making use of our internet services. Your feedback on the internet speed is certainly not reflective of the normal levels of connectivity provided. I would therefore like to confirm that your comments have been passed on to the appropriate internet service provider and corrective action has been taken to ensure that this is not a repeating occurrence.

I would like to kindly ask you to contact me at the hotel, in order for me to follow up with you and address your concerns accordingly.

Thank you for taking the time to contact us, and for bringing this matter to our attention.

Your sincerely,

Durban, South Africa
Reviewed October 3, 2010

This HI is quite comfortable, I enjoyed the Location the most, the lobby and the hotel is stunting. Although I am never impressed with the InterContinental Hotel Group product consistency outside of the USA, these guys almost got it right in this property. I loved the bathroom with the shower. I was kind of uncomfortable on the toilet, but thats a design problem. I dont like the fact that the best and TV's are as small as the HIE Holiday Inn Express, which is ridiculous because you pay a much higher rate so expect more in the room. the staff were really friendly and helpful, although the I was in the lobby having a meeting the electricity went off and one like five times, we were still served our drinks with a smile and ensured by Camille that everything was going to be fixed soon. I am glad they have staff like that, which can keep business people calm in a problematic situation like that

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
Hotel_Management2010, General Manager at Holiday Inn Sandton - Rivonia Road, responded to this review, October 5, 2010
Dear Guest,

Greetings from the Holiday Inn Sandton!

Your feedback on your stay with us is truly appreciated and I can assure you I will share your kind feedback with all of my team members at the hotel.

I regret to hear you've experienced some temporary power failures while meeting in our lobby area, but I am delighted that our team has given you sufficient reassurance during the occurance, served you with a smill and looked after you to limit the amount of discomfort.

We look forward welcoming you again soon!

Kind regards,

Australia
Reviewed September 18, 2010

We were happy with this hotel and would recommend it. The room was large, modern and comfortable. Check-in was quick and efficient. The hotel was next to a small shopping centre with cafes, restaurants and a supermarket and a short walk to Nelson Mandela Square and Sandton Square shopping centre.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
Hotel_Management2010, General Manager at Holiday Inn Sandton - Rivonia Road, responded to this review, September 28, 2010
Dear Guest,

On behalf of the entire team at the Holiday Inn Sandton, just a quick thank you for your kind feedback words.

We are delighted to hear you enjoyed your stay and look forward welcoming you back at our beautiful hotel soon!

Kind regards,

lagos nigeria
Reviewed September 14, 2010

Stayed at this hotel for a week on business, on the 8th floor and the view from my window was spectacular..........the room was sized right, enough room to feel just right. The bathroom also looked nice and newly revamped....though a little downside was it tended to run out of Hot water quite quickly. I had in-room dining all the while and the food was great but not a very wide variety to choose from. All in all, I feel I got value for my money when compared to my previous experiences in SA.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled on business
Hotel_Management2010, General Manager at Holiday Inn Sandton - Rivonia Road, responded to this review, September 16, 2010
Dear Sir,

Your positive feedback on your stay with us is very much appreciated. I can assure you I will pass on your kind words to the entire team.

I can assure you we will investigate the issue around the lack of sufficient hot water during your stay as this is not the standard we are aiming to provide to each and every guest. Our water systems should be capable of providing a flawless and satisfying experience each day, all year round. Your comments on this matter are very much appreciated.

Looking forward welcoming you back soon!

Cape Town Central, South Africa
Reviewed September 13, 2010

This hotel offers the best Holiday Inn experience in the area. New, modern and tasteful rooms are fresh and inviting - with well appointed private bathrooms. The lobby is lovely and staff as accommodating as can be - especially when a burst water pipe caused all sorts of problems! The hotel is just under 10 minutes walk (pretty safe and pleasant at that) from the huge Sandton City shopping precinct so it is not necessary to take the overpriced local taxis when shopping. It's also adjacent to the dying and depressing Village Walk retail development but a few pleasant restaurants punctuate the vacancy signs in this center so eating out is pretty good. Compared to the Garden Court around the corner, this is a delight. And, you get Priority Points here - which you don't get at the Garden Courts in SA! My only grip was no under-sheet on the bed - meaning I had to sleep directly under the duvet which I generally dislike - but then, I am fussy! I would not hesitate to recommend this property. It's built on grand scale (for a Holiday Inn) with wide hotel passage-ways leaving a sense of luxury not often found at these good hotel rates. It will be my Holiday Inn of choice in Sandton from now on!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

Its great to hear you had such a positive experience at our hotel and you sincerely enjoyed the new look and feel of the Holiday Inn Sandton.

The feedback we receive from our guests on a day to day basis drives us to consistently improve the guest experience at our hotel. It also assists us in motivating our teams and uplift our product and service offering according to the needs and desires of our guests. Your loyalty to our hotel and the loyalty to Priority Club is very much appreciated.

Looking forward welcoming you back soon!