“GOOD PLACE TO STAY”

Ranked #19 of 48 Hotels in Sandton
Australia
“GOOD PLACE TO STAY”
Reviewed September 18, 2010

We were happy with this hotel and would recommend it. The room was large, modern and comfortable. Check-in was quick and efficient. The hotel was next to a small shopping centre with cafes, restaurants and a supermarket and a short walk to Nelson Mandela Square and Sandton Square shopping centre.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
Hotel_Management2010, General Manager at Holiday Inn Sandton - Rivonia Road, responded to this review, September 28, 2010
Dear Guest,

On behalf of the entire team at the Holiday Inn Sandton, just a quick thank you for your kind feedback words.

We are delighted to hear you enjoyed your stay and look forward welcoming you back at our beautiful hotel soon!

Kind regards,

Holiday Inn Sandton

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (119)
lagos nigeria
Reviewed September 14, 2010

Stayed at this hotel for a week on business, on the 8th floor and the view from my window was spectacular..........the room was sized right, enough room to feel just right. The bathroom also looked nice and newly revamped....though a little downside was it tended to run out of Hot water quite quickly. I had in-room dining all the while and the food was great but not a very wide variety to choose from. All in all, I feel I got value for my money when compared to my previous experiences in SA.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled on business
Hotel_Management2010, General Manager at Holiday Inn Sandton - Rivonia Road, responded to this review, September 16, 2010
Dear Sir,

Your positive feedback on your stay with us is very much appreciated. I can assure you I will pass on your kind words to the entire team.

I can assure you we will investigate the issue around the lack of sufficient hot water during your stay as this is not the standard we are aiming to provide to each and every guest. Our water systems should be capable of providing a flawless and satisfying experience each day, all year round. Your comments on this matter are very much appreciated.

Cape Town Central, South Africa
Reviewed September 13, 2010

This hotel offers the best Holiday Inn experience in the area. New, modern and tasteful rooms are fresh and inviting - with well appointed private bathrooms. The lobby is lovely and staff as accommodating as can be - especially when a burst water pipe caused all sorts of problems! The hotel is just under 10 minutes walk (pretty safe and pleasant at that) from the huge Sandton City shopping precinct so it is not necessary to take the overpriced local taxis when shopping. It's also adjacent to the dying and depressing Village Walk retail development but a few pleasant restaurants punctuate the vacancy signs in this center so eating out is pretty good. Compared to the Garden Court around the corner, this is a delight. And, you get Priority Points here - which you don't get at the Garden Courts in SA! My only grip was no under-sheet on the bed - meaning I had to sleep directly under the duvet which I generally dislike - but then, I am fussy! I would not hesitate to recommend this property. It's built on grand scale (for a Holiday Inn) with wide hotel passage-ways leaving a sense of luxury not often found at these good hotel rates. It will be my Holiday Inn of choice in Sandton from now on!

Dear Guest,

Its great to hear you had such a positive experience at our hotel and you sincerely enjoyed the new look and feel of the Holiday Inn Sandton.

The feedback we receive from our guests on a day to day basis drives us to consistently improve the guest experience at our hotel. It also assists us in motivating our teams and uplift our product and service offering according to the needs and desires of our guests. Your loyalty to our hotel and the loyalty to Priority Club is very much appreciated.

Cape Town
Reviewed September 9, 2010

My stay at the Holiday Inn Sandton on the 7th September was really an experience, from the attendants directing to parking, the front desk staff and not least the room!

Regards
Rob Lith

• Stayed September 2010, traveled on business
Hotel_Management2010, General Manager at Holiday Inn Sandton - Rivonia Road, responded to this review, September 12, 2010
Dear Sir,

Thank you for your kind feedback! We are thrilled to hear you enjoyed your stay with us. I will certainly convey your message to al of our team members at the hotel.

Nils Rothbarth - General Manager,
Cape Town
Reviewed August 6, 2010

I stay regularly at the hotel and without exception, the staff are happy, friendly, helpful and kind - from reception, guest relations, room service, the diningroom and bar.

I am particularly grateful to Bosele and Cheryl for organising me a beautiful room and my specially monogrammed dressing gown which I will treasure. My thanks again.

The accommodation is comfortable, the food excellent but most importantly, are the staff and the outstanding service they provide and how special they make me feel. Thank you.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled on business
Hotel_Management2010, General Manager at Holiday Inn Sandton - Rivonia Road, responded to this review, August 9, 2010
Dear Guest,

We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us at the Holiday Inn Sandton!

I can assure you that your kind words will be shared with the rest of the team at the hotel. Each day our team strives to consistently improve the service we provide to each and every guest staying at our hotel, creating a warm and genuine service experience.

Your positive feedback as a regular guests at our hotel is of great value to us and much appreciated.

Looking forward welcoming you to the hotel again soon,

At your service,

Nils Rothbarth - General manager
San Antonio, Texas
Reviewed July 13, 2010

The Hotel is new, pretty well located, just 5 minutes walk from Nelson Mandela Square. The rooms are small but comfortable.
The only thing lacking there is in service. We had to go a couple of times to the lobby because the laundry couldn't find a couple of t-shirts we sent them.
Also the concierge service was one of the worst I've ever seen, they didn't gave us any information about how to get to the stadiums, instead they tried to sell us an overpriced private bus service, and when we told them that we heard that the city had a service dedicated for the world cup. they tried to scare us out of it saying that it was dangerous. (We ended up using the public transport alternative, which turned up right)

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with friends
2 Thank YupiYey
Hotel_Management2010, General Manager at Holiday Inn Sandton - Rivonia Road, responded to this review, July 14, 2010
Dear Guest,

First of all, I would like to thank you for actually taking the time and effort to provide us with your feedback on your recent stay at the Holiday Inn in Sandton during the World Cup period in South Africa.

I regret to hear that the service experience offered by our laundry service and travel desk were not living up to your expectations. And I can assure you that your feedback is certainly not reflective of the levels of service and product standards we strive to offer to every single guest of our hotel. Our sincere apologies for the inconvenience caused during your stay.

I will personally ensure that your comments will be passed on to the appropriate departments and individuals and corrective action will be taken to avoid these embarrassing service lapses in future.

Your interest and concern are much appreciated. I do hope you will allow us the opportunity to be of service to you again and welcoming you to the Holiday Inn again soon.

Yours sincerely

Aus
Reviewed June 25, 2010

I have just returned from my 6 night stay at the Holiday Inn , well what can I say in my last 20 years of travel I have never stayed in hotel so comical in its service and have never met hotel staff who so totally disregarded any request. At times I felt I was on the TV show "Lost". Was this really a 4 star hotel , or was I caught in some virtual nightmare or a candid camera show. Now the only "saving grace" I can think of for this hotel was that there was a World Cup on and the hotel was full. Obviously this hotel does not have staff who can provide service when its full. So my first tip, if you book , find out if they are full , if they are, AVOID THIS HOTEL ,. You need to take this seriously as this is the first time I have ever complained about a hotel. Why, well these are the facts:

1. We checked in at 11 pm no other guests at the counter it took 45 mins. The reception man gave us a check in card which had a queen bed room and a Portugese address. I then advised the person I was not Portugese but from Australia, however Australia does have many portugese immigrants. So I told him we were from Australia and we ordered and were confrimed a twin room.The person/gentleman at reception then dissappeared into the back room like "mouse to to a whole in the wall".
2. The gentleman after 30 mins reappeared from the "Bermuda Triangle" .We booked and were confirmed a twin share room and were told no twin was available. I was travelling with a business colleague whilst he was a good friend but sharing a bed was not in our "Itinerary".
3. We were told a twin room would be available the next day, we asked everyday for 5 days , they just dismissed us ..but with a smile.By the last day we obviously gave up, thankfully my friend was happy to sleep on a roll-away bed which was akin to sleeping on a slab of "therapeutic concrete".
4. We requested a wake up call , no call was received. Again total disregard.I think it was the same person at reception who took the wake up call request....maybe I should have made the "wake up" call to reception.
5.The TV didn't work on the 2nd night( this also happened to fellow guests) , they sent 3 maintenace people up, they didn't know what they were doing. This became a comedy. At one point they had to mave a large wall piece which almost fell on top of and crushed one of the porters. At that point flashes of having to provide medical support crossed my mind. After 1.5 hours in our room, I had to step in and fix it.
6. Orders for coffee at breakfast were met with a smile and then the waiter would dissappear and no coffee would show up.
7. Arriving back late one night our door would not open . 5 maintenance people showed up banging the door with their hands hoping by some magic( or "Fonzie" style miracle) the door would open. They had no other room for us , so they proceeded to drill a whole in the door and smash it open. That night we slept in a room with a huge hole in the door, which would not lock.
8. The next day we went out , they puttied up the door while we were out. We then had to specifically ask and wait for another set of keys, even though we specifically requested to have new keys ready for us at reception as we would be returning late.
9. The next morning at 6.45am we were woken up by a scratching at the door, it was a maintenance person "sanding down" the putty on the door. We kindly asked the maintence person to come back at a later time but thank him for his sanding services.
10. One day at 8 am a porter knocked on the door to check our mini bar fridge. I said to him are you crazy as the mini bar fridge is locked. Apparently the mini bar fridges were key locked because people were taking to many items from the fridges.How dare people take things from the mini bar !
11. To add , friends of ours ordered some light snacks at the bar consisitng of nachos and fried chicken, they advised the bar they would be leaving in 40 mins, and as usual 40 mins passed and as they were walking out the door to a wating taxi the food showed up. Obvioulsy they specialise in "TAKE AWAY FOOD ONLY".
12.There was a young neatly groomed pale young gentleman at the front reception, he during the course of the week totally ignored our every request which culminated on our last day when we asked for a later check-out until12.30 , he promptly told us we had to be out by 11am.

IN SUMMARY , WHAT CAN I SAY THE LACK OF SERVICE AND TOTAL DISREGARD FOR OUR NEEDS DID PROVIDE SOME MOMENTS OF CLASSIC COMEDY AKIN TO A "FAWLTY TOWERS". OBVIOUSLY IF YOU ORDER A SPECIFIC ROOM DON'T COUNT ON IT BEING THERE. I BELIEVE THAT SOME PEOPLE MAY ENJOY THIS HOTEL BUT THOSE PEOPLE WILL OBVIOUSLY BE MASOCHISTS.

Now, if the manager comes on this site to provide a response, then I would adopt the philosophy of his own staff and IGNORE IT.

Stayed June 2010, traveled on business
2 Thank Happyday4
Hotel_Management2010, General Manager at Holiday Inn Sandton - Rivonia Road, responded to this review, July 5, 2010
Dear Guest,

Thank you for providing us with your honest feedback on your recent stay at the Holiday Inn Sandton. I was most dissappointed and concerned to learn of the events during your recent stay at our hotel during the World Cup period in South Africa.

May I take this opportunity to assure you that the circumstances of your complaints have already been and will continue to be most carefully investigated and required actions have already been implemented. I can reassure you that these inexcusable service failures are quite out of the ordinary and do not reflect the service standards we strive for at the hotel.

I also performed an in depth investigation with regards to your room reservation and found out that the agent who booked the room on your behalf had actually been informed timeously via email that we had no twin rooms available for that period but the agent never got back to us on this matter. This evidently became an issue as our own team members did not follow this up with the agent and did not close the circle, putting you in a very awkward situation. Again, our sincere apologies and I assure you we will deal with this operational process breakdown internally.

Thank you for bringing this to our attention and myself and the team sincerely hope this will not deter you and your colleague to consider our beautiful hotel for a future stay.

Assuring you of our best endeavors at all times.

At your service,

Holiday Inn Sandton

Travelers are raving about these Sandton hotels