Holiday Inn Sandton - Rivonia Road
$129
$89
Travelocity
  • Breakfast included
All reviewsskye barsky barnelson mandela squaretop floorrivonia roadevery hournice hotelroom servicesmall gymgautrain stationbusiness centerrestaurant staffsandton areabusiness tripfree shuttlelong flightshuttle service
Reviewed April 12, 2010

After reading some of the reviews we nearly cancelled our reservation but are so glad we didn't. Check-in was very quick - there were six clerks at the desk and no wait. Our bags were carried to the room promptly. The room was immaculate and everything in the room was in functioning order. All of the staff were very friendly and helpful. We stayed for three nights and encountered no problems. There were shops right next door and restaurants, as well as being in walking distance of Sandton shopping area. We did not eat at the hotel so cannot say how that was.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Sauerkrat
Hotel_Management2010, Hotel Management at Holiday Inn Sandton - Rivonia Road, responded to this reviewResponded April 14, 2010

Dear guest,
Thank you for taking the time and effort to provide us with your feedback on your recent stay at the Holiday Inn Sandton. It’s very much appreciated!

Guest’s perceptions of the service they receive whilst staying at our hotel is the only true yardstick we have for measuring whether or not we have met their expectations. I can therefore assure you that your kind comments are being used constructively to maintain and improve, where necessary, our guest service standards and facilities offered.

I am delighted to receive your commendations on your experience at our hotel and to hear that our team has lived up to the promise by providing you with genuine and true hospitality.

Thank you for choosing to stay at our hotel and we look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

At your service,

David Smith
General Manager - Holiday Inn Sandton

Reviewed March 14, 2010

This is the 4th time I have stayed here. I am a Priority Club Gold member and just off platinum so stay in IC Hotels a lot. On all three previous visits everything was great, however it may as well be a different hotel this time. The last time I was here with my wife in September '09 and redeemed points for the stay and was upgraded to a suite at no charge and was delighted with the service. I have stayed at most of the Sandton hotels (Hilton, Balalaika, Intercontinental, Southern Sun, Michaelangelo) and have had hit-and-miss service each time. One one stay the service will be brilliant and the next terrible, it's a Jekyll and Hyde thing...
Expectations were high as had only had good experiences here before, and doubly disappointed as a result. Was pretty much ignored at check in and eventually served. For the past 3 days they have been painting the ceiling in the corridor of the 8th floor (it looks like the pool on the 9th floor is leaking and they are repainting to disguise it) and had terrible paint fumes during my stay. I brought this to the attention of Reception and events manager as have a conference booked for 3 days next week and no-one had the courtesy to respond to my concerns. Checking out today and asked for a late check out (2 hour extension), something that is usually complementary for PC Gold Members, and was told, sorry we're full.

Will go back to the Hilton after this experience and will most probably cancel my PC membership. It seems that every time I travel to Johannesburg everything has declined further and standards have dropped 10-15%

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank jemstu
Hotel_Management2010, Management at Holiday Inn Sandton - Rivonia Road, responded to this reviewResponded March 16, 2010

Dear Sir,

We just noticed your comments made on TripAdvisor with regards to your stay at the Holiday Inn in Sandton.

Please accept our apologies for the inconvenience caused during your stay and the lack of ownership shown from our side on issues raised with management.

We sincere like to follow this up with you at your soonest convenience but are unable to identify your name and contact details. Would you therefore please be so kind to contact me directly via gm@hisandton.co.za in order to ensure we can make up for the lost of confidence in our service levels to you.

Hope to hear from you soon,

David Smith
General Manager - Holiday Inn Sandton

Reviewed January 20, 2010

Being in the travel industry and having to visit many hotels to contract this rates as the worst i have stayed in for a very long time. Very slow check in , staff clearly not trained correctly. bags to room fine, The room layed out well but things need to work. TV had to be replaced , tiles broken in bathroom both on floor and in bath ( jaggered edges ) I could hear the water coming up the pipes from around the basement to the 5th floor.
and with loose piping shuddering the tiles will fall off.
The 2nd room even worse , stayed the 1 night of 3 nights and moved to the radisson .
With rates being very high and the rip off already in place for the world cup. Dont waste ur money.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled on business
3  Thank CraigSLondon
Reviewed January 10, 2010

I stayed at HI Sandton for 4 nights on business. Check in was no problem and my bags were transported directly to my room by the bellman who also explained how things in the room work. All of the hotel staff that I encountered were pleasant and professional. This is a very new facility and it definetely the nicest and most well appointed Holiday Inn that I have ever seen!

ROOM

-Shower door did not close completely. Ultimately not a huge problem as the bath mat soaked up any water that fell on the floor. However, this should be of concern to the hotel management as it could cause someone to slip and fall.
-Air Conditioning didn't not seem to be cooling on a consistent basis. More nights than not I found that while the unit was blowing air, it wasn't blowing cold air.
-The rooms are nicely appointed, with good linens, modern decor, and flat screen tv.
-Wireless Internet Service is offered on a time measured basis as opposed to a flat rate per day. The connection was fairly stable during my stay.

-FOOD
- I ordered room service on the first evening and the food arrived in a reasonable amount of time, was well prepared and decently priced. Breakfast while not included in the price was very good, enjoyed the omelette station each day. -Also, there is a great rooftop (enclosed) cocktail lounge called the Sky Bar. The Sky Bar is decorated in a very funky/posh manner, plays really cool world music and has a lovely view of Joburg. I highly recommend for a sundowner.

-Location: Location is excellent, located in the heart of Sandton which is convienent for both business, shopping, and dining. Additionally, the hotel is adjacent to a small shopping mall that has a variety of shops and restaurants. I am a woman and felt comfortable walking to and from the shopping center day or night. Usually, there is a hotel employee, either bellman or security who is keeping an eye on things.

Nearby Activities:
-In terms of real shopping it is best to go to the Mandela Square area. In this area you will find a massive shopping mall with shops ranging from high to low end. You will even find a grocery and several salons there.
-Mandela Square has a wide variety of resturants to suit any palate. I highly recommend Montego Bay which had a great selection of fresh seafood. The King Prawns from Mozambique are massive, practically other wordly and delicious! I dined at other restaurants in the square and all of them were good. In fact I never encountered one bad meal the whole time I was in S. Africa.
-There is a tour company on site who can assist in any excursions that you are interesteed in. Also, I noticed several travel agencies inside of the Mandela Square shopping mall that were advertising excursions such as safari.
-Also, I participated in a Soweto Tour which included the Apartheid Museum and Hector Pieterson Museum. I highly recommend both activities which will give you some insight into the history of the country.

One final note on security. I never encountered any problems in Joburg and neither did my co-workers. In fact I walked from the hotel to Mandela Square alone during the day and didn't feel uncomfortable or threatened in any way. However, Joburg is a large city with a sizable population in the millions and just like in any other major city you need to take precaution. Thieves often prey on those who they can catch unaware, so don't walk down the street while on your mobile phone, or while listening to your ipod. Don't walk alone in the dark or with lots of packages, catch a taxi instead. Also, I suggest that whenever you need a taxi you let the hotel or the restaurant that you are leaving make the arrangement for you to ensure that you are with someone reputable.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed November 6, 2009

Not having stayed here since March 09 (decision based on previous poor experience) I decided to give this mob another try. Oh boy nothing seems to have been fixed. Slow check in, wrong room (changed the following day), new room was then semi flooded when running bath water (had to move again), TV in new room did not work (same old problem since 1st stay in 2008), breakfast buffer a splutter, wait for toast while hot food gets cold (solution order toast 1st, wait 5 minutes then load up the hot bland food), reception slow to answer calls, do not disturb sign on door means "please knock and enter" etc etc.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled on business