“Great Hotel”

Ranked #18 of 48 Hotels in Sandton
Stockport, United Kingdom
“Great Hotel”
Reviewed December 7, 2013

Just spent 15 nights at this hotel, staff are very friendly, had no issues with service even when I arrived for food after 9pm, menu was limited especially for a 15 day stay but had a word with restaurant manager and he arranged some lamb chops for me. If something is missed from your room just ask the staff and it will be sorted.

Many thanks to all the staff for a great stay

W Watson

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Yorkieboy4128
Hotel_Management2010, General Manager at Holiday Inn Sandton - Rivonia Road, responded to this review, December 17, 2013
Dear "Yorkieboy 4128",

What a splendid review! Thank you for sharing your positive feedback with your fellow TripAdvisor users! We appreciate your loyalty to our hotel and will celebrate your nice comments with the team at the hotel.

Do make sure you return to South Africa and the Holiday Inn Sandton soon.

Warm regards,

Garnet Basson - General manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (119)
Dubai, Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed November 8, 2013

I spent 2 weeks in this hotel and the main word here is inconsistency. The serice would be great one day and terrible the next. When I arrived there was no soap in the bathroom, and the following days what I would find would depend on who would service the room and their moods. One day I would get 3 body lotions and no soap, the next 3 soaps and no hand towel.
The room service was also a challenge, some days nobody would pick up the phone for hours and usually they would not be nice when they did. So if you are hungry and in a hurry choose something else. The food was very average, but the price was not so bad.
But the highlight of the inconsistency was the shuttle bus, I was informed it was hourly, but found out that it depends if there is someone waiting for it, and if there isn't forget the return bus, as they will not come, unless you call, agry of course, or a good soul decided to visit the mall.
Highlights are the decent executive lounge in the basemement with a very nice and polite lady there serving and the concierge that was always great for the very expensive taxi service, but they were so nice that we forgive them for the prices.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank TPietscher
GRHIS, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Sandton - Rivonia Road, responded to this review, November 12, 2013
Dear "TPietscher",

Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review on your recent experience at Holiday Inn Sandton.

Please accept my sincere apologies for the inconsistencies you have experienced during your recent stay with us. It is very disappointing to read that we did not live up to your expectations. I have shared your review with our Management team and I can assure you that corrective action have been taken.

I have discussed the issues around bathroom amenities with our executive housekeeper and retraining of our team members is already ongoing. I am still investigating why the Room Service phone was not answered as this is permanently manned. Maintenance is testing all the lines leading to the Room Service department to ensure they are all properly connected. Together with the departmental management we will address the service issues mentioned. The shuttle bus is indeed on an hourly schedule and will reiterate with concierge management the importance to stick to the schedule accordingly and inform each guests accordingly. Thank you for the compliments on the brand new business centre. We are very happy to hear you enjoyed it.

We do hope to welcome you back again soon and show you our true Holiday Inn Sandton hospitality.

Reviewed October 25, 2013

Extremely laid back and causal attitude to hospitality.

1. The service at the restaurant is horrible - they don't bother to serve , will ignore as much as possible
2. The supposedly 24hr chairman's bar near the lobby won't serve ...not even coffee because the waiter is somewhere at the back -- wait time is more than 30mins after complaining to the hotel management
3. Expecting dinner after 9:30pm is being optimistic ....they have a long face coupled with slow service

Not coming back ....

• Stayed October 2013
GRHIS, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Sandton - Rivonia Road, responded to this review, October 28, 2013
Dear "Vikram_Rathi",

Thank you for taking the time to providing us feedback on your recent stay. It is very disappointing to know that we did not live up to your expectations. Your feedback have been discussed with our Food and Beverage team and corrective action will be taken to avoid any future reoccurrences.

We do hope that we will get another opportunity to welcome you back and show you our true Holiday Inn Sandton Hospitality.

Guest Relations Manager

Travelers are raving about these Sandton hotels

Nairobi
Reviewed October 18, 2013 via mobile

Regardless of who booked you..if you are black and slightly fatty. ... (no sir i am not fat...we have big bones in the family ).....you have to pay before getting a room...which is ok..apart from the fact that the confirmed booking rate which I got a day before had doubled and I was required to pay before getting the room...and no it doesnt matter that I arrived tried after midnight with the mother of all headaches or the hotel forex rate was "stand and deliver" or I had a booking confirmation with a different figure or I threatened to conjure the spirits of my forefathers for an immediate commision of enquiry on to the actual price per night

Phone on farthest corner of the room...beats the sense of being called at night

Toilet door doesn't close...not a big issue apart grom a faint smell...atleast was smoking and partly smashed

Room partitions. .big issues. .. could hear my neigbor snoring till 4am when I blacked out...musta been the whiskey

No smoking. ..have to take the elevator to ground floor to the corner in the rain...recommend a heavy all weather jacket and inhaler just in case..doesnt help if you are a smoker...which in this case I publicly admit to indulging once in a while (a while being hourly when awake)

Tv works depending on which side of technology you sit on..even then it is four sports channels and something in a foreign language

THIS ONE TOPS THE LIST...THE DOUBLED UP RSTE PER NIGHT IS NOT INCLUSIVE OF BREAKFAST. ....ME WHO IS INSURED AGAINST MISSING A SINGLE MEAL!!!! WHY OH WHY IS THERE NO BREAKFAST. ...OHH WELL...SIP MORE WHISKEY

Plus side..free WIFI

Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Hotel_Management2010, General Manager at Holiday Inn Sandton - Rivonia Road, responded to this review, October 24, 2013
Dear guest,

At the outset, let me express my and my team’s most sincere regret regarding any inconvenience experienced whilst you were a guest at the Holiday Inn Sandton. I do however want to clarify a few matters mentioned in your review:

First and foremost, the fact that you were requested to pay for your room on arrival had absolutely nothing to do with your race, gender or posture. Your booking was made as a settle direct booking, meaning the guest is requested to pay in full on arrival. This type of booking was made by your organisation and was not influenced by our reservation team. I am not impressed with your allegations that this would be a racial matter, and can assure you that no one at the Holiday Inn in Sandton would act on such basis.

Your room rate charged was as per the room rate confirmed during the booking process on the day before arrival and has not changed in the interim. The room package booked was indeed excluding breakfast as communicated during the reservation process. Clearly, this was not clear to you on arrival, which we regret. A room only rate is quite a common package type, as some of our guests prefer to have breakfast outside the hotel or on their way to an appointment.

The fact that we organised a complimentary upgrade for you to a King size bedroom, led to the situation that we only were able to offer you an interconnecting room when arriving late at night. Our interconnecting rooms are separated by 2 fire resistant doors and generally provide adequate soundproofing. However, in case a neighbouring guest produces specific sound levels, the interconnecting doors might be a bit more sensitive than our normal hotel rooms. Our apologies for this unfortunate inconvenience experienced.

I am somewhat surprised to read your comments around the TV channels on offer, as we have a total of 21 channels and 3 radio stations available, providing a wide variety of news, sport and entertainment channels. Combined with our free Wi-Fi, in the rooms and public areas, this is always positively perceived by our guests.

Thank you for assisting us in our ongoing drive for quality and enabling us to improve the hospitality offered to our guests. Your interest and concern are much appreciated.

I do hope you will allow us the opportunity to be of service to you again and welcoming you to the Holiday Inn Sandton again soon.

Garnet Basson – General Manager
Holiday Inn Sandton
South Africa
Reviewed October 17, 2013

We recently stayed at the HI Sandton (2 adults and 2 children) and booked 1 double room with a queen bed and an inter leading room with 2 single beds. The hotel is fantastic. Rooms were airy, spacious with a 24 hour room service menu...bonus. The location is central with Sandton City being less then a 3 minute drive away. The Village walk mall adjacent to the hotel is closed though. The Chairman bar in the foyer is amazing with exotic coffees and pastries and is open till 11pm. The Skye Bar is beautiful and really worth a cocktail or two.

The downside was that breakfast was R170 per person incl. kids, a bit much for little ones, I thought....so we just ate at Nelson Mandela Square and Sandton city which was a short drive away.

Besides that, we had a lovely stay and will definitely return to the HI Sandton

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
GRHIS, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Sandton - Rivonia Road, responded to this review, October 24, 2013
Dear "Durban21",

Thank you so much for the "amazing" review. Your kind words is much appreciated and will be shared with all the Holiday Inn Sandton Team Members.

We truly look forward to welcome you back again soon.

Istanbul Province, Turkey
Reviewed October 12, 2013 via mobile

This hotel was our first stop in Johannesburg, very clean and small hotel. I liked the idea of walking around in 5 minutes such as malls and restaurants. The room was designed well, and there was a complimentary kettle to make coffee and tea. Highly recommend if you looking a hotel in this area.

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
GRHIS, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Sandton - Rivonia Road, responded to this review, October 15, 2013
Dear "UgurYal",

Thank you very much for the wonderful positive feedback. It is greatly appreciated and will be shared with the rest of the team.

Durban
Reviewed October 8, 2013

This revue divided into 3 parts: accommodation (rooms), conference facilities and meals.

To say upfront, I am a B&B person: I much prefer the intimacy of smaller establishments, and so am not a fan of big hotels. But on this occasion I was pleasantly surprised.

Firstly, accommodation. We were certainly impressed with the overall look of the place, and level of service has been great, right from the shuttle pick up at the airport and check-in procedures on arrival. The staff is very well trained: all friendly, all obliging, and all ready to greet you anywhere on the premises. So, top marks for that. The rooms are comfortable, with a nice workdesk with both a three-pin and two-pin plug. (There's also another connection for non-South African plugs.

The one niggle was that the lights work on a key-system, such that they go off when you are out the room. That's fine for the lights, but it means you can't leave a laptop charging when you are out the room.

The hotel also has a small gym, located next to the swimming, both of which have nice view across the city.

All this doesn't come cheap though, but I suppose it is Sandton.

Secondly, the conference facilities. Again, superb service from all the staff, all of whom are exceptionally obliging. We especially appreciated the support from the IT guys. Food and snacks provided were all good.

But the room itself was a bit odd. The lighting was very dull, and there was no mechanism to brighten the lights. They said that normally during the day there's enough light from outside. But, what about when it is a dull day, or during the evening? They also didn't want us to use press-stick to put up things on the wall - fair enough, it can damage them. But that's what you do when you have a workshop! They did provide us with masking tape, which I suppose served the purpose.

Then there were the meals. Although we had breakfast as part of the package, but if you don't it is VERY expensive, for a perfectly standard breakfast you'd expect to get any big hotel. But it was the evening meal that caused the most consternation. It wasn't like the restaurant was busy, but the service was literally laughable. Our poor waiter was quite overwhelmed, continually running and for the most part not with much effect. There was an inordinate wait between courses, or for drinks orders to arrive. The food was ho-hum, and pricey! There are lots of restaurants around in the area that serve much better food for less. (And oh, I tried to introduce my colleague to crème brûlée, which we shared. Let's just say I don't think she'll try it again!) Drinks' prices are ridiculous - R65 for a glass of wine, R30 for a beer. This is South Africa, for goodness sake, not the UK.

So, overall? Yes, I'd recommend it as a conference venue, though you could perhaps try to negotiate more reasonable prices. But don't go for a DB&B rate: rather go out to eat in the evening - you'll get a much better meal for much less.

Room Tip: Better view on the south side (I think the evenly numbered rooms)