“Very homely” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #19 of 49 Hotels in Sandton
Kampala, Uganda
“Very homely”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 7, 2013

I stayed there last week and I loved the experience especially the mini gym. Great rooms, the breakfast was ideal and the service friendly. I stayed there for 4 days. It is located closed to the Sandton City Mall and so walking there ad back to the hotel is very convinient. Would definitely love to go back

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
GRHIS, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Sandton - Rivonia Road, responded to this review, October 8, 2013
Dear ''Tindi R'',

I am delighted to receive your review on your recent stay at the Holiday Inn Sandton. It is always wonderful to know that we can create a home away from home for our guests.

We look forward to welcome you back to the Holiday Inn Sandton again soon.

Kind Regards,

Burnedette Jordaan
Guest Relations Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (113)
Johannesburg, South Africa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 26, 2013

We stayed for almost 3 weeks and service is perfect. We arrived early and our room wasnt ready yet since they said were fully booked so we had to wait a while. But all staff is very courteous and happy. Breakfast is quite complete. Wi fi throughout the entire hotel something might turn it a little bit slow during day since they have to many conferences and turn to be quite crowded during week. Pool was under maintenance so couldn't enjoy it but they do have a small gym on the same floor that was ok. Parking is avail but I find it awkward that you have to pay for it during your stay and is not complimentary for guests. Also since everything in SA starts going on early I think they should change their room service for earlier during day since always found room not ready by mid day.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
Hotel_Management2010, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Sandton - Rivonia Road, responded to this review, October 2, 2013
Dear "Carlita08",

Excellent review! Thank you for choosing to stay at the Holiday Inn Sandton! We much appreciate your loyalty to our hotel and to the Holiday Inn brand.

Thank you for pointing out some areas of improvement such as the timing of housekeeping services as well as wifi connectivity during busy conference hours. We will discuss your comments in detail with the relevant team members and take action accordingly.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Holiday Inn Sandton again soon.

Warm regards,

Burnedette Jordaan - Guest Relations Manager
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 23, 2013

I arrived at this hotel at 7am expecting not be able to check in until much later but was met and well greeted and was happily surprised to be allowed to check into my room early as they had availability; all the staff were happy, positive and courteous; good quality breakfast and the wifi worked well; i had a business lunch meeting with a client and was well looked after with prompt attention give to us by the staff; this is my second stay at this hotel and I would be pleased to stay here again.

• 4 of 5 bubbles
GRHIS, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Sandton - Rivonia Road, responded to this review, September 26, 2013
Dear "roryjdoyle",

Thank you for the kind recommendations of our hotel and the service received by my fellow team members.

It makes me very proud to read that we have exceeded your expectations and we look forward to welcoming you back to the Holiday Inn Sandton again soon.

Wishing you a wonderful day.

Kind Regards,

Burnedette Jordaan
Guest Relations Manager
Rio de Janeiro, RJ
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 17, 2013

Very confortable room and bathroom. Bed and pillows were great!
Breakfast was great also, a lot of fruits!
Employees were all very kind. Service was 100%.
Well located, and the hotel has a transfer service to the Mandela Square that made us feel safe and confortable.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Hotel_Management2010, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Sandton - Rivonia Road, responded to this review, September 20, 2013
Dear "ManuEsm",

Thank you for choosing to stay at our beloved Holiday Inn Sandton. We appreciate your kind recommendations of the service received from our team members. Glad to hear you enjoyed our sumptuous breakfast!

We look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Warm regards,

Ras Al Khaimah, United Arab Emirates
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 16, 2013

It is a reasonable hotel in Sandton, walk-able from the Gautrain Station. The rooms are clean and well done.
The limitation of the hotel is it's restaurant, the breakfast spread is pretty limited specially if one is a vegetarian and the same is true for the lunch/dinner menu options.
The other thing I found a bit strange is that the hotel does not have plug converters, if someone is travelling from outside of South Africa and staying in this hotel, it is advisable to carry own converter else one may not be able to charge a laptop.
Over all not a bad bet, but for a few hundred Rands extra one can stay in Radisson just across the road.

Room Tip: During booking mention bed preference i.e. double bed/Twin beds
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Dear "Nitinjohar",

Thank you for your honest feedback on your stay with us. We appreciate your constructive criticism on the vegetarian food options during breakfast, lunch and dinner.

I will discuss this with your executive chef to see how we can improve on this point, so we can accommodate vegetarian food preferences in a more effective manner.

With regards to the issue on power plug converters, we actually do have these available at the hotel but occasionally run out of stock in case of high demand amongst our guest. Our sincere apologies for not being able to accommodate your request.

We do hope you will consider staying with us when next in Johannesburg. We would love to welcome you back to the Holiday Inn Sandton once more.

Yours sincerely,

Kampala, Uganda
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 16, 2013

I stayed two nights at Holiday Inn Sandton. I chose Holiday Inn because I was participating in a conference at the hotel.

Holiday Inn Sandton is conveniently located in walking distance from Sandton Station which connects with Tambo Airport by Gautrain (15 minutes only). It is also very close (5-10 minutes walk) to Sandton City - a huge shopping mall with a big selection of high street brands.

My room was tastefully decorated, had a comfortable bed and a nice bathroom. Unfortunately, this is where my positive feedback ends. When I arrived, the safe was out of order. After calling the reception a couple of times and waiting for a maintenance person, the suggested solution was to change room. I asked to have the safe fixed (apparently they only needed to change the batteries) the following day as I was heading out and was tired of waiting. The next morning - at 7 am - the same maintenance person insistingly knocked on my door (and woke me up) to change the batteries... In the evening I wanted to watch TV but the TV didn't work. Again, after calling the reception several times, a new person form maintenance showed up - and sugged to change room.

Another - more serious issue - was that I had a package (6 bottles of wine) delivered to the hotel. I had asked if this was ok when I made the booking and I reminded the reception on the day the package was expected. After inquiring 3 times, still no package. I called the delivery company who told me they had delivered it and that the reception had signed for the package. However, the package was not registered in the reception and nobody would take responsibility to look for it. Finally, a reception manager found it in a room behind the reception - and not together with all the registered packages with the concierge. Now this to me is suspicious and I am not sure that the package had reached me if I had not kept on insisting...

I had dinner one night at the hotel restaurant - a cesar salad which was ok but nothing special. The lunch buffet was average. The conference facilities were nice - and the conference coffee and bites delicious.

When I returned home I wrote a complaint to the hotel management. I promptly received a message that ensured me that my feedback was "highly valued and would be used constructively to consistently improve our product and service standards." To me, this just sounds like a standard reply with no real intention to act...

All in all, Holiday Inn Sandton offers good location but the service level needs improvement!

• 1 of 5 bubbles
Hotel_Management2010, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Sandton - Rivonia Road, responded to this review, October 28, 2013
Dear "Dane-in-Tanzania",

Thank you for writing a review here on TripAdvisor, we appreciate the detailed feedback.

As mentioned in my earlier communication to you, I want to reassure you that we take your comments very seriously and have already discussed your experiences with us in detail with all relevant departments and managers.

The issues experienced with your safe and TV are not of the standard you can expect from us and these matters should have been resolved more effectively. My apologies for letting you down.

Our front desk team has also been approached to ensure we always stick to the procedures in place when receiving packages for in house guests. Our apologies for the initial confusion when picking up your delivery, as it turned out the package had not properly been signed in yet and was still standing at the Front Office Manager's desk behind our service desk.

I do hope you will allow us the opportunity to restore your confidence in our levels of hospitality and pay us another visit in future, upon your return to Johannesburg.

Yours sincerely,

Holiday Inn Sandton

Travelers are raving about these Sandton hotels

Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 13, 2013

The hotel is conveniently located near the Sandton City mall & Mandela Square which is about 5 mins drive away. They also offer a free shuttle to the malls. We stayed there 3 times via our trips to & fro Cape Town and Pretoria due to convenient location. Hotel staffs are very friendly & helpful. It's also conveniently located less than 5 mins distance to the Gautrain station which heads towards the Tambo airport in 30 mins. Highly recommended!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Dear "meisia",

Thank you for sharing your kind recommendations with your fellow TripAdvisor users. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed the service provided by the team and that you were happy with the location of the hotel, which is indeed very central and easily accessible by Gautrain, by car or by foot within the Sandton area.

Greetings from all of us at the INN and we look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Kind regards,