“Great Stay!”

Ranked #19 of 47 Hotels in Sandton
Rio de Janeiro, RJ
“Great Stay!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 17, 2013

Very confortable room and bathroom. Bed and pillows were great!
Breakfast was great also, a lot of fruits!
Employees were all very kind. Service was 100%.
Well located, and the hotel has a transfer service to the Mandela Square that made us feel safe and confortable.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Hotel_Management2010, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Sandton - Rivonia Road, responded to this review, September 20, 2013
Dear "ManuEsm",

Thank you for choosing to stay at our beloved Holiday Inn Sandton. We appreciate your kind recommendations of the service received from our team members. Glad to hear you enjoyed our sumptuous breakfast!

We look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Warm regards,

Burnedette Botha - Guest Relations Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (115)
Ras Al Khaimah, United Arab Emirates
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 16, 2013

It is a reasonable hotel in Sandton, walk-able from the Gautrain Station. The rooms are clean and well done.
The limitation of the hotel is it's restaurant, the breakfast spread is pretty limited specially if one is a vegetarian and the same is true for the lunch/dinner menu options.
The other thing I found a bit strange is that the hotel does not have plug converters, if someone is travelling from outside of South Africa and staying in this hotel, it is advisable to carry own converter else one may not be able to charge a laptop.
Over all not a bad bet, but for a few hundred Rands extra one can stay in Radisson just across the road.

Room Tip: During booking mention bed preference i.e. double bed/Twin beds
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Dear "Nitinjohar",

Thank you for your honest feedback on your stay with us. We appreciate your constructive criticism on the vegetarian food options during breakfast, lunch and dinner.

I will discuss this with your executive chef to see how we can improve on this point, so we can accommodate vegetarian food preferences in a more effective manner.

With regards to the issue on power plug converters, we actually do have these available at the hotel but occasionally run out of stock in case of high demand amongst our guest. Our sincere apologies for not being able to accommodate your request.

We do hope you will consider staying with us when next in Johannesburg. We would love to welcome you back to the Holiday Inn Sandton once more.

Kampala, Uganda
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 16, 2013

I stayed two nights at Holiday Inn Sandton. I chose Holiday Inn because I was participating in a conference at the hotel.

Holiday Inn Sandton is conveniently located in walking distance from Sandton Station which connects with Tambo Airport by Gautrain (15 minutes only). It is also very close (5-10 minutes walk) to Sandton City - a huge shopping mall with a big selection of high street brands.

My room was tastefully decorated, had a comfortable bed and a nice bathroom. Unfortunately, this is where my positive feedback ends. When I arrived, the safe was out of order. After calling the reception a couple of times and waiting for a maintenance person, the suggested solution was to change room. I asked to have the safe fixed (apparently they only needed to change the batteries) the following day as I was heading out and was tired of waiting. The next morning - at 7 am - the same maintenance person insistingly knocked on my door (and woke me up) to change the batteries... In the evening I wanted to watch TV but the TV didn't work. Again, after calling the reception several times, a new person form maintenance showed up - and sugged to change room.

Another - more serious issue - was that I had a package (6 bottles of wine) delivered to the hotel. I had asked if this was ok when I made the booking and I reminded the reception on the day the package was expected. After inquiring 3 times, still no package. I called the delivery company who told me they had delivered it and that the reception had signed for the package. However, the package was not registered in the reception and nobody would take responsibility to look for it. Finally, a reception manager found it in a room behind the reception - and not together with all the registered packages with the concierge. Now this to me is suspicious and I am not sure that the package had reached me if I had not kept on insisting...

I had dinner one night at the hotel restaurant - a cesar salad which was ok but nothing special. The lunch buffet was average. The conference facilities were nice - and the conference coffee and bites delicious.

When I returned home I wrote a complaint to the hotel management. I promptly received a message that ensured me that my feedback was "highly valued and would be used constructively to consistently improve our product and service standards." To me, this just sounds like a standard reply with no real intention to act...

All in all, Holiday Inn Sandton offers good location but the service level needs improvement!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Hotel_Management2010, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Sandton - Rivonia Road, responded to this review, October 28, 2013
Dear "Dane-in-Tanzania",

Thank you for writing a review here on TripAdvisor, we appreciate the detailed feedback.

As mentioned in my earlier communication to you, I want to reassure you that we take your comments very seriously and have already discussed your experiences with us in detail with all relevant departments and managers.

The issues experienced with your safe and TV are not of the standard you can expect from us and these matters should have been resolved more effectively. My apologies for letting you down.

Our front desk team has also been approached to ensure we always stick to the procedures in place when receiving packages for in house guests. Our apologies for the initial confusion when picking up your delivery, as it turned out the package had not properly been signed in yet and was still standing at the Front Office Manager's desk behind our service desk.

I do hope you will allow us the opportunity to restore your confidence in our levels of hospitality and pay us another visit in future, upon your return to Johannesburg.

Holiday Inn Sandton

Travelers are raving about these Sandton hotels

Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 13, 2013

The hotel is conveniently located near the Sandton City mall & Mandela Square which is about 5 mins drive away. They also offer a free shuttle to the malls. We stayed there 3 times via our trips to & fro Cape Town and Pretoria due to convenient location. Hotel staffs are very friendly & helpful. It's also conveniently located less than 5 mins distance to the Gautrain station which heads towards the Tambo airport in 30 mins. Highly recommended!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Dear "meisia",

Thank you for sharing your kind recommendations with your fellow TripAdvisor users. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed the service provided by the team and that you were happy with the location of the hotel, which is indeed very central and easily accessible by Gautrain, by car or by foot within the Sandton area.

Greetings from all of us at the INN and we look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Kind regards,

Bengaluru, India
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 10, 2013

I had a marvelous stay in Joburg at the Holiday inn Hotel. Wonderful room, decent service and pretty good breakfast offering too. Very reasonably priced for such a centrally located hotel. My only qualm was that the breakfast had limited offerings for a vegetarian and the menu was same throughout the week.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Hotel_Management2010, General Manager at Holiday Inn Sandton - Rivonia Road, responded to this review, September 10, 2013
Dear "sam_sameer",

Thank you for your "marvellous" review and for choosing to stay at the Holiday inn Sandton. Its much appreciated.

We are looking forward to welcoming you back again soon!

Warm regards,

Brisbane, Australia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 8, 2013

On the face of it this place looks fine. A towering white edifice greets you as you approach along Rivonia Road. The entrance is the usual mixture of glass, chrome, brass and marble that we've become used to in hotel architecture these days. Indeed its fair to say that our arrival was preceded by the excellent reputations and experiences we've enjoyed at Holiday Inns throughout the world and Asia in particular. Sadly that all this ended once we checked in....

The room while adequate was more like something you would expect to see at a country motel rather than a hotel in a major city like Joburg, but then perhaps my opinion is shaped more by the general lousiness of the service that followed than the actual room itself. This last point bringing me to the issue of service and why this place has earned the title of the Fawlty Towers of Africa.

Had arranged to meet an old friend at the hotel's bar on the top floor of the hotel for drinks before going on to dinner. The bar has been described as one of Joburg's best kept secrets. Certainly its location was a secret or at least how one located it is a well kept secret. Sure, its atop the building, but how does one get there? Like most I got in the lift and hit the highest floor button. All this did was get me to some function rooms. Nothing in my room had told me, nor were there any other indications anywhere else that to get to the SkyBar one had to take the lift to the ground floor then proceed back through the foyer to the front door then take a cunningly hidden dedicated lift to the roof. The whereabouts of said lift was so well hidden a Game Tracker would have had trouble finding it. Indeed my guest went straight past it without finding it and took the regular elevator to the top floor before coming back to the ground floor. What is wrong with a sign or two, or some advice in the room information compendium?

Once at the bar, the ambience is delightful with a fabulous view across Johannesburg. An ideal place to sit and kick back with a brew and catch up on old times. At least until the heavy machinery starts. Why the guys behind the bar felt that it was ok to begin grinding what seemed like three tonnes of ice right on 7:00pm is one of the great mysteries of this place. A million bucks has been spent making the bar look like a top flight venue only to have the ambiance ruined by a couple of idiots operating machinery to make crushed ice. I've endured less noise sitting next to a jackhammer. Whats worse was that the guys operating the dam machine could not understand why we were unimpressed. It would have been merely annoying if it had gone on for say ten minutes, but after forty minutes the racket was was past the pain threshold of all but the clowns making the noise in the first place. To be fair though I suspect their hearing had long been destroyed if this caper happens nightly, as a I suspect it does.

With out ears still ringing from the audial assault we retreated to the restaurant in the hope that at least things would be such that we could converse verbally as opposed to sending TXT messages as we were almost reduced to at Skybar. Mercifully the restaurant was devoid of noise. Menus arrived food was ordered. Food arrived too, eventually.... in drips and drabs. Two of the three dishes were just ok but the third, that of our guest was so appallingly bad that it was sent back to the kitchen as the steak was over cooked. Its reappearance was keenly awaited and in time it did indeed arrive. However this time while the steak did appear to be cooked as ordered for reasons we could not fathom the potato was missing. It would seem that the great potato famine of Ireland had spread to the green fields of Sandton. This was not strictly true, there were apparently potatoes but the kitchen now lacked the necessary skills to actually cook them. What had happened to render the chef, sous chef or anyone else out there in the kitchen incapable of cooking a spud I've no idea but that was it, game, set and match....... no spud! It was not one of Holiday Inn's finest efforts.

The fun continued in the morning when I went down for breakfast, which it could be said given the events of the night before was either an act of sheer folly or an example of my own undimmed sense of always thinking positively. That plus the fact that surely there'd be a different shift of kitchen staff and the odds were that I might just get some potato this morning....... I did eventually get breakfast and it was not too bad but first I had to get into the breakfast room. Normally this achieved in a relatively painless way in 99.999% of hotels throughout the world. One presents themselves at the entrance to the restaurant, identifies themselves, sign for breakfast then moves to a seat. Not here, at least not for me. I was told I'd have to pay cash as nothing could be charged to my room. I queried this as I'd only the night before at the conclusion of the great potato farce signed for what was a thoroughly ordinary meal. This meant nothing and the staff were unmoved. It was pay up or starve.... Not being one to back down I suggested that there was some sort of error and requested it be checked. A flurry of fingers across a computer keyboard produced two blank stares.... "computer says no". A suggestion that perhaps they could check with someone higher up the food chain (deliberate pun) could be spoken to was again met with two trance like stares. I departed to the reception to see for myself what was going on. The guy behind reception had all the charisma of a corpse as he informed me that I was not authorised to charge anything to my room. This was intriguing as although I'd paid in advance for my room I'd been asked for an imprint of my Amex for "incidentals and extras". The guy behind the counter delivered this same news that I was not authorised to charge to my room again in the same deadpan way that he'd previously done, only this time he added "definitely". So I then asked how is was that I charged dinner to my room the night prior, to which he answered in a manner that was now getting dangerously close to putting me into a coma "there is nothing charged to your room Sir, you did not charge anything last night, you could not have". He went on to say that he'd how "opened" my account, so I shrugged my shoulders and went and had breakfast after charging it to my room.

Eventually the happy hour arrived when we could leave the Holiday Fawlty Inn. I nervously approached the desk to check out, thankfully it went well until I asked about the dinner that I'd had signed for the previous night. It was not on the account which I again queried only to be told that there was NOTHING. So I signed the Amex receipt and left. Fast forward now a few days and I received a phone call from Holiday Inn telling me that I'd left without paying for dinner!!! As I was about to board a plan to Australia I said send me the bill via email and I will deal with it when I arrive home. I was told that my email address did not work, which is complete nonsense, but I gave them a fax number to send the bill to. Upon disembarkation in Australia I had two messages on my cell phone from Holiday Inn telling me that the meal charge had debited to my Amex, no email of fax has been received telling me what the bill is.

This Holliday Inn is without doubt the most shoddily run (down) Holiday Inn in the group. Its obvious to me that staff training goes no further than handing out uniforms. The sooner someone from this hotel goes and stays at a TSOGO Sun property and experiences how good it could be the better.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear "Murray A",

Thank you for your feedback on your recent stay at the Holiday Inn Sandton.

Myself and the management team were very much alarmed to hear about your experience after receiving your feedback survey earlier, hence our front office manager has already tried to get in contact with you via mail and phone in the last week. But with no success. Our sincere apologies for the disappointing experience when staying at our hotel. I can assure you that this is not the normal standard at our hotel, our team has got all the best intentions and we consistently focus on skills and guest service training at the hotel. However, we are clearly not consistent enough reading your guest review, therefore there is still a lot of work ahead.

Please contact me directly via gm@hisandton.co.za so we can discuss the issues experienced together and I can personally try to convince you of our best intentions and hopefully be given a chance to rectify our shortfalls.

I look forward to hearing from you soonest,

Cape Town Central, South Africa
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 8, 2013

My room was clean and had everything that I needed.
The bed was great and they gave a selection of soft and firm pillows.
I have stayed here several times for business and I will be back.
You can improve by serving fresh pastries. The breakfast pastries are often stale.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Hotel_Management2010, General Manager at Holiday Inn Sandton - Rivonia Road, responded to this review, September 8, 2013
Dear "J W",

Thank you for your positive rating on TripAdvisor and for recommending the Holiday Inn Sandton to your fellow TripAdvisor members. I will certainly investigate your comments around the quality of our pastries at breakfast with our executive chef. Thank you for pointing out this area of improvement.

Looking forward to welcoming you back soon,