“Quite a bad hotel”

Holiday Inn Sandton - Rivonia Road
Ranked #20 of 47 Hotels in Sandton
Reviewed April 23, 2013

I was charged in advance for full 7 days while they should have taken pre-authorisation. On complaining, the "Guest Relations Executive" was quite snooty and says that this is our standard policy! Also, that they are no longer part of the Holiday Inn franchise so not bound by any rules. When I asked why did they use the Brand name - she had no answer. Other problems - exactly same breakfast menu for 7 days, extremely limited room service menu, just two lifts to serve the entire hotel rooms so quite a wait during the rush hours, general run down look of the hotel. However good location.

Room Tip: The check-in usually determines how good a hotel is!
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Sanjeet_Pradhan
Hotel_Management2010, General Manager at Holiday Inn Sandton - Rivonia Road, responded to this reviewResponded April 25, 2013

Dear “Sanjeet_Pradhan”,

Thank you for staying at the Holiday Inn Sandton during your visit to SA! And on behalf of the entire team at the hotel, our sincere apologies for the inconveniences experienced and for not being able to sufficiently clarify some of the confusion created. The following comments to provide you with more insight and comfort on the issues raised in your review:

Our credit card policy at the hotel indeed instructs our team members at the hotel to take full payment of the accommodation charges upon arrival, instead of a pre authorization. This is linked to the hotels responsibility and obligation to further drive compliance to the worldwide PCI DS Standard (Payment Card Industry Data Security Standard). In simple terms, PCI was formed to reduce risk and prevent problems related to the misuse of cardholder data. For this reason, we have adopted adopt a series of security measures to protect sensitive customer credit and debit account information, hence we are minimizing the usage of credit card pre-authorizations and only offer this for extras for the duration of your stay. This practice is more and more adapted by the broader tourism industry in and outside South Africa in recent times.

Furthermore, the Holiday Inn Sandton is most definitely part of the international Holiday Inn stable and InterContinental Hotel Group brand family. The only difference is that the Holiday Inn is a franchise partner and is managed by an independent hotel operator. Our operation fully complies with the brand requirements and stringent standards enforced by IHG worldwide. Our apologies if the explanation provided by our Guest Relations Manager on site did not clarify this matter sufficiently.

We sincerely appreciate your constructive criticism on the selection variety on our Room Service Menu and will incorporate your feedback during our menu review in coming period. The overall breakfast selection – albeit wide and ample – does indeed not change on a daily basis, however we will discuss this with kitchen management to identify if this could be a common and daily practice.

We sincerely hope that your latest experience does not deter you from visiting us again in future and that the above clarification restores your confidence in our level of hospitality.

Yours Sincerely,

Garnet Basson – General Manager

Reviewed April 23, 2013

I last stay at a Holiday Inn in Sandton City 12 years ago and I think that it has been renamed Garden Court. The booking for HI Rivonia was made via the HI website for 2 king sized rooms. The were six of us including my granddaughter 14 years) and grandson age 9 for one night prior to our flight to London.

The hotel foyer is light and airy and the LED Video Wall is massive

Check-in was quick and efficient and next morning the receptionist gave us a late check-out until 4pm free of charge - nice touch. We did not eat in hotel but at one of the the steakhouses in Mandela Square.

WiFi is free and reception is good. The staff were friendly and efficient, Housekeeping when we called for the pull down beds to be made up and extra towels were quick to arrive.

One gripe, there is no dressing table for my wife to use. There are mirrors over the minibar fridge and in the bathroom but no sockets to allow the use of electric hair stylers. We got around this by pulling out the minibar fridge from the unit and using its socket for the styler.

Would I stay again, most definitely

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family

Dear "English_Traveller02",

Thank you for the "excellent" review! We very much appreciate your recommendations of our beloved hotel and for sharing this with the TripAdvisor community.

We will definitely look into the issue raised around the dressing table and the additional electrical socket. Thank you for bringing this to our attention.

Do make sure you pay us another visit soon when next in SA!

Warm regards,

Reviewed April 18, 2013

This hotel is your average Holiday Inn but its location is central ,within walking distance to Sandton shopping mall and the Mandella square and eating places.

The concierge was very helpful in arranging tours and selecting places to dine.The room was comfortable ,though we had endless trouble with the access key to the room .We had to change the card 3 times in 4 days and we were not the only ones experiencing this problem. The key must be placed in a slot in the room which activates the lights. This too posed a problem as one had to repeat the process a few times before the lights responded!

The breakfast was disappointing, the fruit was sour, the bread was stale or burnt and this occurred for the 4 mornings we stayed !

Room Tip: No real views from most rooms
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
GRHIS, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Sandton - Rivonia Road, responded to this reviewResponded April 22, 2013

Dear "Kay B",

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on your recent stay at the Holiday Inn Sandton. We are very disappointed to hear we have not been able to exceed your expectations when staying with us.

Please accept my sincere apologies for the inconvenience you have experienced while using your key card. We experienced significant issues with our key card readers during the duration of your stay, which let to temporary malfunctions. This has already been addressed by our maintenance team and system agents. I can imagine the frustration this has caused.

Furthermore, we are surprised to hear of your unsatisfying experience at our breakfast room as we do not often get negative feedback on our breakfast food offering. I have discussed your comments in detail with our executive chef an General Manager and corrective action has been taken to avoid future reoccurrence.

We do hope your latest experience will not deter you from visiting us again, allowing us the opportunity to exceed your expectations the second time around.

Kind Regards,

Burnedette Botha
Guest Relations Manager

Reviewed April 10, 2013

When entering this facility it looks pretty good as the lobby is beautiful. The rooms are relatively basic, however in need of basic maintenance and repairs. I had issues with the sink, shower, and there were multiple paint issues. When visiting the restaurant and ordering food, it took over 1 hour for the food to be delivered. The food was ok, however definitely not worth the wait. There is a mall next door, however it has newspapers on the windows and is completely closed. This is an ok hotel, however there are definitely better options.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
GRHIS, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Sandton - Rivonia Road, responded to this reviewResponded April 15, 2013

Dear "Jimmy P",

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on your recent stay at the
Holiday Inn Sandton. Clearly, we are very disappointed to hear we have not
been able to exceed your expectations when staying with us.

Please accept my sincere apologies for the inconvenience you have
experienced when visiting our restaurant. The waiting time experienced is
simply unacceptable and I can assure you that we take your feedback very
seriously and corrective actions have already been implemented. Our
maintenance team will look into your specific maintenance issues
experienced, as this is not of the product standard we strive to offer to
each and every guest. We have an extensive preventive maintenance plan in
place at the hotel, which should avoid these situations, but clearly we have
not been successful in your situation. We will urgently discuss these
matters with our maintenance manager and his team and take the appropriate
action.

We do hope to welcome you back to the Holiday Inn Sandton soon, and convince
you of our ability to provide you with a comfortable, seamless and hassle
free guest experience.

Kind Regards,

Burnedette Botha
Guest Relations Manager

Reviewed March 31, 2013

A colleague and I spent one night in Johannesburg before a business trip and chose Holiday Inn, Sandton. It was a perfect choice. The hotel is located within 10 minutes walk to Sandton City shopping centre and 10 minutes walk from Sandton train station (however, when lugging a suitcase and if in heels, can seem longer). The hotel reception is very elegant and beautiful and check-in was very quick. The room is of good size and decorated nicely. The hotel has a swimming pool and tiny gym on the 9th floor which we did not get the chance to use - there is a very nice view from the swimming pool area. The breakfast was plentiful - eggs, sausages, hashbrown, pastries, selection of cereals and bread. The staff was very courteous and the concierge staff was particularly helpful, explaining how to get to Sandton City, arranging for the hotel transport to pick us up from the shopping centre and arranging for our cab to go to the airport. The hotel offers complimentary shuttle service to/from Sandton City and the station at set times. A tip I would give is to enquire with the hotel what times the shuttle passes the Sandton Gautrain station in case you arrive at the station around those set times. I would recommend this hotel to everyone. I would mention that not many people seem to walk on the roads in Johannesburg. We chose to walk from the station to the hotel at midday (as we thought it would be a busy time), but there was hardly anyone else walking on the road and it was a main road, not a side road. This could feel a bit unusual for foreigners.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the higher floors as the view is quite nice.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
Hotel_Management2010, General Manager at Holiday Inn Sandton - Rivonia Road, responded to this reviewResponded April 3, 2013

Dear "YayShub",

We are delighted to hear that we have been able to create a comfortable and "hassle free" experience for you and your colleague when visiting South Africa. Thank you for making the Holiday Inn Sandton your hotel of choice when visiting Johannesburg.

We look forward to welcoming you back again soon!

Warm regards,

Reviewed March 26, 2013

I stayed at the Holiday Inn Sandton for one night as part of a transit day in Jo'burg. The hotel is located in the Sandton area of Jo'burg, and about a 10 minute walk down Rivonia road from the Gautrain station. Because of our luggage we used a taxi from the Gautrain (which was a flat rate 70 ZAR) and the hotel's car service back to the station (which was a flat rate 50 ZAR). We also walked to the Michelangelo/Sandton mall during daylight and it took about 10 minutes. To return we used a taxi that charged a flat rate of 50 ZAR. I felt like we were being ripped off by the taxis, but I figured better safe than sorry.

Although the hotel provided us a comfortable night's sleep and easy access to the airport, it failed in level of service. The hotel is certainly of a 4 star standard and seems to cater to the business crowd. I booked a King Business Class room that was to come with breakfast, drink voucher to Skye Bar and free Internet along with a few other minor benefits. At check in I asked to confirm all of the benefits, but the receptionist said we did not get breakfast or the drink voucher despite obviously booking a business class room. Free wifi however was still made available to us, so I figured I would check my booking once I got to the room.

Upon entering the room I was very underwhelmed. I think that the room felt very bare. There were no decorations on the wall and very basic furniture, i.e. a bed, a desk and a lounge chair. The bed however was comfortable and we had ample room to spread out our large suitcases. My wife quickly discovered that the room did not have a television remote, so I called reception to request one. I also took the chance to tell them that my confirmation made did say that we should have breakfast and the drink vouchers. The receptionist said we could pick up the vouchers and that someone would come up with a remote control. A few minutes later an envelope slid under our door with two Skye bar vouchers, but no mention of breakfast or the remote control. On our way out to dinner we mentioned to the reception desk again that we had no remote and told them that someone could drop it off while we were out. Upon returning we found no remote but there was a small fruit tray on the desk. So someone had been to our room, but did not bring the remote control! After my third call to reception a very friendly maintenance worker brought the remote and set up the television.

The following morning I checked with the reception for our breakfast vouchers. We were told that the people at the restaurant would have it in their system that our rate included breakfast and we only needed to sign off on the bill. Of course their system said our booking did not include breakfast, so I could only hope that reception would sort it out on check out. Thankfully all was sorted out properly at check out but once a booking is made the extras that are included should be automatic and I should not have to request them over and over again.

Overall our stay was comfortable and convenient for what i desired, but Holiday Inn really drops the ball in terms of making a stay seamless and worry free

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear "rocketsfan007",

Thank you for sharing your experiences with your fellow tripadvisor community members. Of course, we are disappointed to hear we have been unable to create a seamless & hassle free guest service experience, and we apologise for the inconvenience this has caused. I can assure you that this is not a common practice or standard at the hotel and will be carefully investigated by senior management.

Thank you for the patience show while experiencing these service lapses and I can assure you that the entire team looks forward to welcoming you back soon, so we can restore further confidence in the hospitality offered at the Holiday Inn Sandton.

Yours sincerely,

Reviewed March 17, 2013

Everything you'd expect for a business hotel with comfortable rooms, wifi internet acess (free, though a bit slow), bars, breakfast etc and within comfortable walking distance (5-10 minutes) of Sandton Station and the mall and restaurants of Nelson Mandela Square. Staff were friendly and efficient. Apart from slightly smelly plumbing, I had no complaints.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
Hotel_Management2010, General Manager at Holiday Inn Sandton - Rivonia Road, responded to this reviewResponded March 17, 2013

Dear "maccaspooksralu",

Thank you for the kind recommendations of our beloved establishment and for sharing this with your fellow tripadvisor members. Together with our Chief Engineer, I will most certainly look into your comments around your comment of a light odor coming from the drains. Clearly, this is not our normal standard offered nor a common issue experienced. Thank you for bringing this to our attention!

We look forward to welcoming you back again soon!

Kind regards,