“Excellent”

Cuisines: Seafood, Steakhouse, Grill
Good for: Business meetings, Special occasions, Romantic, Large groups
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed July 13, 2014

The place is very nice, although the man that sees you to the entrance wears quite a weird dress. Service was simply great and the food was amazingly good and tasty. Ostrich and beef is what we had and those were the best pieces of meat we ever had. Side dishes were very good too, and this is now the holy temple for meat from now on, at least for us.

1  Thank Victor1234
Jörg Z, Manager at The Bull Run Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded July 28, 2014

Dear ‘Victor1234’.
Your kind words on ‘tripadvisor’ are much appreciated. Thank you for taking the time to do so. It is great to read that you enjoyed your ostrich & beef meat orders. Your praise that you found our service to be great, is much appreciated.
We look forward in spoiling you 'again soon.

Reviewed July 13, 2014

There were three of us for dinner. It was a Wednesday night and quite buzzy. The waiter was very knowledgeable and friendly. The menu is quite meat oriented and the quality of the meat was very good. I had venison, my wife had ribs and our guest had a beef filet. The service was speedy and the wine list was very good in my view. We had a dozen Oyesters to share and they were fresh enough but tasted as if they had been rinsed in fresh water (?). All the meat was as stated of good quality but only the ribs came out the way they were supposed ot be coocked. I had asked for the venison (tenderloi) rare (only because I know it's really easy to overcook and so it usually ends up medium by the time you eat it). But it came out fully coocked! I told the supervisor who walked by the table at the time and he did offer to exchange it for a new one, but I hate watching the rest of the table eat while I wait, and then having to rush through my dinner because everyone else is already done, so I declided. Out guest asked for her steak medium, but it came out rare (she didn't even bother to complain for the same reason as above).
At the end of the night it was an allright dinner and we all had a good night. It's too bad though as they got everything right, except the line kitchen.
We will give it another chance soon as the overall experience was quite good.

Jörg Z, Manager at The Bull Run Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded July 29, 2014

Dear ‘Frank B’.
Thank you for taking the time to write your constructive criticism on ‘tripadvisor’. Your feedback has been taken to heart. Please accept our apology for the inconvenience and disappointment caused.
Your praise about the friendly waiter and service is much appreciated.
Please feel free to contact Hennie, our Restaurant Manager (hennie@thebullrun.co.za) should there be anything else he may assist you with.
We look forward in welcoming you back again soon.

Reviewed July 5, 2014

My mother and I ate here last week having seen how highly in was rated on Tripadvisor. The positives were that the waiter we had was very nice, the whole atmosphere was enjoyable and there was secure parking that led directly into the hotel (so no need to walk in the street at night). Sadly the steaks (which we believed where what the Bull Run are renowned for) were below par. We both went for the T-bone (initially we wanted Rib-eye but were informed the cuts they had were not up to standard that evening). My meat was ok, just about ok. It was inconsistently cooked through (I asked for blue, and whilst some bits were, others resembled a more medium-rare texture). My mother's steak was about 50% fat, and despite asking for it rare, found hers distinctly chewy.

So by all means, visit this restaurant, but not if you're after a great steak.

Dear ‘Jessica A’
Your feedback on ‘tripadvisor’ is appreciated. How sad that your meal experience seemed to have been such a disappointing one. May we ask if you had brought your concern to the attention to one of our Managers? I am sure that they would have done their utmost to rectify any shortcomings.
Thank you for your positive feedback about the service and the atmosphere.
Please feel free to contact Hennie, our restaurant Manager, (hennie@balalaika.co.za), who would love to welcome you back again and turn your previous disappointing experience into a positive one.

Jὄrg Zwinscher & TEAM

Reviewed July 4, 2014

My husband and I ate here the other night. We were warmly welcomed by two managers of which one of them showed us to our table. While the food was excellent, service was very slow. The restaurant was not terribly busy and yet it took our waiter almost 10 minutes to bring us our drinks. I ordered the prawns while my hubby ordered the fillet. Excellent fillet and it was perfectly cooked which is a rare find sometimes in JHB. Compliments to the chef on a job well done.

Jörg Z, Manager at The Bull Run Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded July 30, 2014

Dear ‘Bhavna M’.
Thank you for taking the time to write your constructive criticism on ‘tripadvisor’. Your feedback about the service has been taken to heart. Please accept our apology for the inconvenience and disappointment caused.
Your praise about the friendly managers and excellent food is much appreciated. We will be sure to pass your kind words on to the Chef.
We look forward in welcoming you back again soon.

Reviewed June 17, 2014

Had great steak dishes and enjoyed the bustling atmosphere. The food is well prepared, it very tasty. Prices are ok and I'd gladly return.

Jörg Z, Manager at The Bull Run Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded June 20, 2014

Dear ‘timm 1203’.
Your kind words on ‘tripadvisor’ are much appreciated. It is wonderful to read that you enjoyed your meal, the atmosphere and found our prices reasonable.
We look forward in welcoming you back again.