“Tranquil oasis in the midst of the Jo'burg bustle” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Green Gables

Green Gables
Ranked #7 of 12 Rivonia B&B and Inns
Greyton, South Africa
“Tranquil oasis in the midst of the Jo'burg bustle”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 13, 2013

It appears that nothing is too much trouble for Christopher and his team, as they go about their business making your stay as hassle-free as possible. The property itself is set in a quiet cul-de-sac, yet close to major freeways to get almost anywhere you need to in the northern suburbs as quickly as possible. Fantastically comfortable bed with crisp bedding, but the highlight for me was the spacious shower - not many allow me to shower freely without having to bend my head under the shower head - what a pleasure! Highly recommended.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank mbh66

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Buffalo, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2012

A sudden medical emergency took my wife and I to JoBurg. Not much time to research accomodations. Green Gables is located near the Sunninghill hospital so appeared to fit our needs.
And it most certainly did!
First, our online experience. Christopher, the host, and Evelyn, his secretary, provided fast and accurate communication to all our questions. They arranged a driver to meet us at OR Tambo airport, communicated with our daughter when our flight was delayed and arranged for deferred payment because we arrived with no SA Rand.
Our accommodations were extremely comfortable and Christopher personally explained all the features and controls that might be needed. Our room had a kitchenette equipped sufficiently to allow us to cook several light dinners after our hospital visits. The bedding is first class, warm and comfortable (we were there for their winter; comfortable days but chilly nights). Radiant heat from the floor was warm but a bit different from the system we have at home. The room stays warm while sleeping (we prefer quite cool) but is slow to return in the morning.
Our housekeeper, Geneva, kept the room spotless and the dishes and glasses clean and put away.
Breakfast was light but fit our needs. Coffee, fresh croissants, meats and cheese and fruit. Porridge was offered, but this is something we eat when the temps are bitter cold. There is also cold cereal. Christopher seems to enjoy the opportunity to socialize during breakfast but he does not force conversation if you appear to need some quiet space.
We were not on vacation and so cannot comment on sites to see or things to do. Many in JoBurg advise against walking, however we walked every day to the hospital and to the local plaza for groceries and encountered almost no one. We would consider walking in the daylight a safe activity.
Finally due to family changes, we had to shorten our stay from what we had originally reserved. Christopher was immediately understanding, processed our adjusted costs. There was no penalty or hard feelings.
To close; If you need to stay in the Sandton area of JoBurg, you could not do better than to stay at Green Gables. The price is fair, the accommodations are excellent and the staff are among the most friendly we have ever encounter in our travels.

Room Tip: We enjoyed having a kitchenette. Suggest The Wagon Room. But all are quite and comfortable
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank QuikAg80
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 28, 2012

Excellent bed and breakfast in a safe and quiet suburb in the Sandton area of Johannesburg. Wonderfully comfortable and well-maintained rooms and gardens, and a very welcoming host, which made for a restful and restorative stay. Convenient Gautrain bus stop less than 100m up the hill, made for a pleasant trip to the airport on my way out of South Africa (but note the bus doesn't run on weekends). Would definitely stay here again.

Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 28, 2011

Home from home convenient safe and a pleasure, well worth the stay

• Stayed June 2011
Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 19, 2011

I normally stay in 5-star hotels so Green Gables was really unusual for me. But I'm so glad I stayed. It made me realise how important 'connection' really is. And the host at Green Gables, Christopher Hughes, is a Master at it. He's a character — one that could well be on every travel show you see. My morning breakfasts with Christopher set me up so well for each day.

On top of that, this is a great environment with gorgeous gardens (they reminded me a little of Provence in France).

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
Utrecht, The Netherlands
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 16, 2011

Just outside the hectic of Jo'burg. Wonderful gardens, swimmingpool (small but good enough), convenient rooms, helpfull owner + staff and delicious breakfast. All you need to explore Jo'burg, Sandton, Rivonia and even Pretoria. Very nearby the M1 Motorway and only 20 minutes from OR Tambo airport. The place to be!

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
Paris, France
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 11, 2011

Despite the fact I spend most of my time at my office the whole 3 weeks at Green Gables have been wonderful.

It was quiet, relaxing and the view from my room on the garden was breathtaking.
The Service was \"5 Stars\" and you have a love to the detail.

I definitely will come back.

I definitely will recommend you to all my friends and my colleagues.

Thanks again and a warm \"Bonjour\" to your staff..

• Stayed December 2010, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Rivonia
The Oasis Boutique Hotel
Sand River Guest House
Sand River Guest House
#6 of 12 in Rivonia
The Haystack on Homestead

Been to Green Gables? Share your experiences!