“Lovely location but needs a revamp”

Louise Terrace Guest house
Ranked #3 of 9 Rivonia B&B and Inns
Reviewed June 30, 2014 via mobile

I was visiting johannesburg for training. My booking at a different hotel got cancelled due to renovation so that hotel made arrangements and booked me into the guesthouse. On first appearance it looked a bit worn out. Garden looked like it was not taken care of in a while and the parking is a bit cramped. The room i was staying in was spacious. Furniture needs to be retouched. Some of it is old, Beds are comfortable. Breakfast was nice but limited in what you can order of the menu. Overall experience was intermediate. Not an experience i would freely opt to have again.

Stayed: May 2014, traveled on business
2  Thank Helao M

Reviewed June 2, 2014

We had a really nice time at this guest house. So conveniently located, lots of attention to detail, and the manager, Brian, was so friendly. He went the extra mile to make us feel at home! I highly recommend it.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank Nicholas A
LouiseTerraceBnB, Owner at Louise Terrace Guest house, responded to this reviewResponded August 28, 2015

Thank you for the feedback, having spent my childhood growing up in this industry I strive to make a weary traveler at home, your review makes me love what I do even more.

Reviewed May 7, 2014

I booked my mother into the BnB and she has not stopped raving about how comfortable her stay was. The staff was very friendly and Brian was an amazing host. He even allowed for a later than normal check out at no additional charge. Very clean establishment, tranquil, trendy and homely at the same time. Real value for money. I would strongly recommend the establishment and I will be making use of it in the future.

• Stayed: April 2014
1  Thank Noma N
Reviewed April 4, 2014

I stayed 1 night in Room 15. Situated on busy main road next to offices, so there isn't much to look at. I was worried about the noise from the traffic, but it did calm down after 8pm so I was able to have a good night's sleep. Comfortable bed and pillows. Excellent wi-fi connectivity. A hairdryer would be good and a chair with a back, and a comfortable armchair. There was a big crack on the cupboard/mirror. The water from the shower did cause a bit of a puddle on the outside. There was a dressing table with a stool, but this is not good if you have to work on your laptop. Nicholas & Brian were very hospitable. It was quiet in the breakfast room when I left and had a good chat to Nicholas and the 3 cute dogs. For longer stays I would prefer a guesthouse that has a lovely garden to look out to.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank ecsonza
Reviewed November 11, 2013

I usually stay with friends when I am in South Africa, but it did not work out this time. So I decided to stay with Nicolas Brett (the owner) at his guest house in Rivonia, for the whole of October 13, as I met Nicolas in May this year…was suppose to stay in the guest house but had to cancel as we stayed in our house – and at that time, Nicolas gave us back all the deposit – amazing! I live overseas at the moment and usually go to South Africa once a year to sort out all our stuff like medical tests, tax, house issues (rented out) etc. and of course visiting family & friends. This was the first time in four years that I stayed in rented accommodation when coming home and it was a great experience. The location of the guest house could not have been better. My gym, which I always sign on with when I am in South Africa, is just down the road. Many of my friends, my old company & places I had to go to are close by –so perfect. I had my own drive-in entrance where my car was parked securely just below the staircase of my spacious 1-bed apartment, which also had a small balcony with 2 chairs & table. I had a small kitchen with cooker, microwave, fridge and washing machine (absolutely needed that!) & kitchen counter, separate bathroom with shower & specious bedroom with very comfortable, large bed, wardrobe & 2 comfy arm chairs. The room had lots of light, due to the large windows. I also had wireless internet as part of the deal! I woke up every morning early to the twittering of birds, which was wonderful. I could see the branches of a large tree through my bathroom window. There are also lots of trees around in neighbouring properties, which are visible via the large windows….but nobody could look into my room! Although the guest house is in the middle of businesses and roads, I never really heard street noise. The location of my dwelling was so private – I never really saw other guests. The staff was very friendly and helpful. My room was cleaned every day – By the way, there is now also a wonderful restaurant on his premises – open for breakfast & lunch…for now! I had a wonderful stay at this well located guest house. When my husband accompanies me in the future – or if I need accommodation again for myself in the future, we/I will definitely stay with Nicolas in his guest lodge!

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank NinaAfrica
Reviewed September 5, 2013

Every time I stay at the immaculate guest house, I receive nothing short of personalised hospitality. Last time I was there for business, on a not so friendly budget and Nicolas was flexible enough to ensure that me and my colleagues have confort way way beyond our budget. Oh and the breakfast is amazing!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank Hon Remmy S
Reviewed May 16, 2013

We never had the pleasure as yet to stay at the Louise Terrace Guesthouse but would like to write about my experience with Nicolas.
My husband and I are currently working overseas and planned to visit South Africa for 24 days to sort out various issues. It took me a long time, on the internet, as well as using online accommodation agencies, which by the way were totally useless and just wasted my time, although I had given them exact requirements in terms budget, area, secure parking for 2 cars, internet access, small kitchen and most important exclusive use of a washing machine, as I always do my own washing wherever I go! – I was bombarded with at least 60 emails of unsuitable places.
When I found Louise Terrace Guesthouse and read all the positive reviews, I immediately phoned and spoke to Nicolas. He was just amazing – this is what he did : he allocated a one-bed apartment for us (which took some juggling on his part due to other bookings he had), with private driveway with secure parking for 2 cars – he even went out and bought a washing machine for the unit we were going to occupy – just amazing. Unexpectedly our tenant who was living in our house moved out and our fully furnished home was empty. We knew that there was damage and maintenance work had to be done. I cancelled the booking, for the 23 nights with Nicolas just one week before we arrived in South Africa. He was so kind to me on the phone, said he had total understanding for our situation. I knew he bought the washing machine specifically for us and offered to buy it off him. Amazingly he said that he would utilise the washing machine and gave us back our full payment! Amazing, amazing, amazing – that’s all I can say.
It is very unlikely that our house will be available to us the next time my husband and I are coming to South Africa and we will definitely stay with Nicolas.
Well, our time in SA is nearly over…leaving this Sunday, after fixing many things in our house. Nicolas invited me to have coffee with him before we leave – this will happen tomorrow and I look forward meeting him. Nina

Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple