“uncanny”

Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Rivonia
Guadalajara, Mexico
“uncanny”
Reviewed July 14, 2012

My husband and I stayed at the Oasis Luxury Guest House on our first trip to South Africa in March. I have to say without a doubt that it was one of our greatest lodging experiences ever, and we've been around a fair amount. I wish that every place we went had an Oasis Luxury Guest House.

I usually do not like staying at properties that are categorized as "guest houses," because they often lack the amenities of larger hotels and have more involvement of the hosts in my affairs than I care for. The Oasis Luxury Guest House does not suffer from either of these problems; in fact, I found them to be absolutely perfect in regard to both.

My surprise over the first issue came when my going through the room and trying to find something missing that I might want during my stay evidenced that the hosts Anita and Grayham had not only anticipated my every need, but also a few that I had not even thought of needing before. Guests get in-room tea and biscuits, a steam iron, fantastic bath amenities, electrical converters, bath robes, a safe, rulers, sewing kits and a list of local restaurants that deliver, just to name a few items that come standard. It was uncanny how every time I mentioned, "It's too bad they don't have a ..." my husband would quickly respond that I had obviously overlooked that item in the desk drawers or wardrobe.

As for my second concern, Anita and Grayham always had excellent advice and suggestions when we sought them out and asked for it, but otherwise, we were left to our own devices. Not once did I want for privacy from the hosts or other guests; the wonderful layout of the property seems very conducive to allowing all guests their space.

The rooms are amazingly comfortable, with luxurious beds and wonderfully appointed bathrooms. I know most people don't travel to such locales to watch television, but we always enjoy seeing what the local offerings are. The cable lineup for The Oasis is great, with plenty of interesting local fare as well as programming in a variety of foreign languages for international visitors. I am very picky about Internet service while abroad, but The Oasis came through with very reliable and quick connectivity. The rooms are small, but the word cozy is hardly a euphemism there. All the furniture is amazingly comfortable. Even things like the drapes and upholstery are of exceptionally high quality.

I did not expect a great deal from the breakfast buffet, given that the guest house does not claim to have a restaurant. Again, I was delightfully surprised to find an amazingly vast array of items available every morning, with a few things rotated in and out during our stay. We were able to try a few things that were oddities to us that we have since come to miss since our return home. Guests are also given a selection of a hot item from a menu in addition to the cold buffet.

Perhaps the only criticism I would have of The Oasis would be its location in a quiet, secluded residential neighborhood of an upscale area outside of Johannesburg. For some, this might be one of the greatest benefits of staying at The Oasis. For us, since it was our first time in South Africa, and we wanted to tour the city, it meant moderate (although not overly lengthy) rides to and from the property each day to the sights we wanted to see. On the other hand, we did not even think twice about our security, which is something that guide books and friends seem to be overly concerned about when we researched visiting Johannesburg. Even considering the time we spent "commuting" during our stay, I would not hesitate to exchange a cab ride for another stay in this amazing place. It should also be noted that for those not necessarily interested in visiting Johannesburg, anything a person could want on a trip can be found nearby in the commercial areas of Sandton.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank iamcrispydammit
JohannesburgBeazley, Owner at The Oasis Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, September 7, 2012
We were blown away by the length of your feedback and the time you took to write it. Thank you for mentioning all the little details - this is something we look for when we consult TripAdvisor for our own travel requirements. Your delight in the little "hedgehogs" for breakfast has inspired me to bake/make them too! I am glad that you mentioned the Location of the guest house. We trust that travellers make an informed decision when they book their accommodation. I know that you both researched your trip extensively before making your decisions but most visitors do not realise that activities in Johannesburg are rather spread out and that it does not really matter where you choose to stay because you will be travelling a fair distance to something in your itinerary. A choice should always be made according to the proximity of the most of your requirements. I know that you also appreciated the quiet, tranquillity of the property – something you won’t find in the hub of a shopping node. Thank you for your visit and we look forward to your next trip when you get to explore even more of our wonderful country.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
  • Korean first
Calne, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 4, 2012

I had the joy of a few nights with Anita & Grayham after 2 weeks on safari in Botswana. I had planned a few days in Joburg to 'decompress' from the trip before heading back to a busy job... I couldn't have stumbled upon a better place! Their beautiful home is a true haven and I quickly felt as though I was staying with good friends. Nothing was spared in the way of service, facilities, comfort... Generous and thoughtful to the hilt, these folk have a truly wonderful business. I was given advice on sights, drivers arranged, directions given...and when I just wanted to relax... what a fab place to indulge. Thankyou both and to your great team for making the stay so lovely... your attention to detail is faultless and I couldn't fail to recommend The Oasis.. Hope to return one day...

Room Tip: Any room at Oasis would be a good room ,,,I feel sure!
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank BecksRoss
, Owner at The Oasis Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, July 13, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write this review – we appreciate your input and really enjoyed spending time with you. Your stories of your Safari up North have re-kindled a need to go on a bush-break. Perhaps we will join you on your next one!
Hartbeespoort, South Africa
Reviewed May 27, 2012

My husband works away from home so we needed some quality time together. I found The Oasis on a google search and once there was amazed.
From the moment we entered the garden area we know we would feel at home.
Everything about The Oasis is wonderful, from the hospitality of Anita, Graham and their staff the elegance of the decor and of course the friendliness of the dogs.
Thank you so much.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank barbaralippens
JohannesburgBeazley, Owner at The Oasis Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, June 5, 2012
It is not unusual for locals to come and spend “time out” at The Oasis. It is unusual that guests come from such a beautiful part of the world as yours! We are pleased that you were able to spend some quality time together and thank you for kind comments – hope to see you soon.
Dubai
Reviewed May 22, 2012

On a business trip to get to stay somewhere where you almost feel at home without any hard work is brilliant. I spent 4 very comfortable nights – the massive bed with gorgeous linen ensured I slept like a baby. Huge breakfast with so much choice followed by a wonderful greeting from the four legged friends was a perfect start to the day. Then to be greeted by them on my return (oh and of course Anita, Graham and Michele) made my stay in Jo’burg a very pleasurable one. Oh an did I mention the lovely garden, good wine selection and dvd library ….

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
No doubt the 4 legged friends would love to have you back here again! Dalmatians love all the attention they get and obviously lapped up all the affection you gave them! We would also love to have you back. Your enthusiasm is delightful and we hope that next time you get to see a bit more of the city than this last trip allowed.
Wroclaw
Reviewed May 15, 2012

My visit at the Oasis was truly amazing, the enormous attention to detail from Anita and Graham in every aspect is breathtaking.
Also Anita helped with advice and getting around Joburg and making sure we felt at home, not only in the Guest House but also in the city.

If you go to Joburg, don't go to the boring hotels, go to this place, you won't regret it!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for your review – both of you are well travelled so we appreciate your comments. It was particularly interesting to see how both of you embraced the Johannesburg experience! Hope to see you back here soon with more travel adventure stories.
Bucharest, Romania
Reviewed May 14, 2012

When I have stepped in the house, I was simply touched by the warmth of the place! Nice wood furniture, many mirrors, nice things, beautiful flowers and paintings everywhere.
My room was a delight and I felt sorry every morning that I had to leave for work.
Breakfast food is extremely delicious and quality of service exceeds by far any expectations. Personnel is kind and quiet and it is a really pleasure to exchange few words over coffee with Anita or Michelle.
Not mentioning the evenings when you have a great variety of movie choices. Each room is equipped with DVD player and you can choose the movies you like from the reception.
I am really looking forward to finding a next opportunity of coming back! Actually I am considering bringing my parents to let them have the same experience!

Thank you Anita and Grayham for making this place so wonderful!

Eliza

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for your review and thank you for mentioning in particular the things that made your stay here special. All our paintings are all done by talented South African artists (including my mother!) Collecting them was such fun and we love it when people notice them and comment on them. We were touched by your own warmth and enthusiasm. We look forward to your return and to meeting your parents next time. Kind regards, Anita
Harare, Zimbabwe
Reviewed May 13, 2012

With a jam packed itinerary in hand we landed in Jo'burg running ... after a long, exhausting first day we found ourselves welcomed by Graham and Anita's smiling faces - a really friendly and personalised welcome! The minute we stepped into the Oasis we knew we had made the right choice. It wasn't long and we were shown to our luxurious room - opulently decorated with everything we could desire at hand. Friendly, helpful staff, divine breakfasts, stunning gardens, perfect location - I could go on and on - highly recommended ... we can't wait to go back! Thank you Anita and Graham.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Preparing for the “big day” is often hectic and all consuming. We were delighted that you took time off to visit the theatre for a bit of R&R! We look forward to welcoming you back to The Oasis and wish you the very best blessings in your new future together.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Rivonia
The Syrene Boutique Hotel
#1 of 5 in Muldersdrift
Road Lodge Rivonia
Road Lodge Rivonia
#3 of 3 in Rivonia

Been to The Oasis Boutique Hotel? Share your experiences!