“Great food! Iffy cappuccinos....”
Review of Baobab Cafe

Baobab Cafe
Ranked #45 of 750 Restaurants in Pretoria
Cuisines: Sushi, African, Seafood, Grill
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed February 25, 2013

I had my first beef shank at the Baobab Restaurant in the Menlyn Park Mall last night and it was spectacular! I am really pleased that I went for it rather than the rump that I was originally planning on ordering. It was cooked to perfection and fell of the bone! The portion size was good and I am looking forward to having my lunch time sandwhich with the remains of the meat on it. I normally don't go for a starter but because our fellwo guests were doing so my wife and I shared starter that featured biltong in batter with a lovely mustard mayo dipping source. It was also surprisingly enjoyable! My wife and I are partial to good cappuccinos, and if you are too then rather order some other beverage.

Reviewed January 18, 2013

I love the decor and being able to sit outside in the evening looking at the lights of the suburbs. Food is always good. Took visitors from Serbia and they enjoyed it too.

1  Thank Magicladybird
Reviewed January 9, 2013

Baobab is a beautifully decorated restaurant and we found the staff to be really friendly and efficient so I really have no complaints at all when it comes to service and location, however the food just didn't match up to the restaurant's reputation. The menu is well-priced and has something for everyone and everything looks really delicious. I had the Grilled Sole with shrimp, mushroom and asparagus sauce with a side of seasonal veggies and rice. The fish itself was very well cooked but it was overpowered by the sauce completely, the sauce was very tasty as well but I don't think the combination works. The vegetables were very very good but the rice was very bland and plain-usually with fish you expect the rice to have a small amount of flavour or lemon butter or something but this was just dry rice so I left most of it. My companion for the evening had the Baobab Kingklip (also fish) with mashed potatoes and his fish was a little tough and overcooked but the sauce was a very nice light curry which complimented the fish well. The mashed potatoes were very good-something rare in most restaurants. My dessert was the chocolate lava cake which was really delicious and was just purely decandent which is more then i can say for the other dessert which was mean to be fruit pavlova but was just fruit salad and ice-cream with a piece of merengue on the side, to be fair though the fruit salad was very tasty, it was just a bit disappointing when you expected a different dish. All in all it was a pleasant evening and I would be willing to try the restaurant again, just without ordering the fish.

Reviewed January 3, 2013

Boabab offers the best steak in Pretoria. All food is deliciously prepared and presented and the service is excellent

Reviewed December 27, 2012

The food is quite good, but the service is inefficient and the management has no understanding of how to run a restaurant.