“All time favourite”

La Pentola
Ranked #27 of 806 Restaurants in Pretoria
Good for: Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Description: La Pentola established in 1995 is the perfect venue for executive chef/owner Shane Sauvage's authentic fusion cuisine. After 23 years in business the restaurant has just been fully renovated to create an open light free flowing space during the day softened by romantic candle light at night. The very best quality ingredients, real butter, fresh cream and fresh herbs.No MSG! The menu by comprises of a large variety of fresh seafood (Mozambique Style Prawns, free range cuts of beef (KWV Fillet, hand made pasta, exotic game dishes, a great selection of vegetarian fare (Aztec Mushrooms) and a decadent selection of in-house deserts (Chocolate Terrine). La Pentola offers a Platinum award wine list with a large variety of local wines ,beers & fully licensed bar. We are an A la Carte restaurant that also caters for corporate functions, intimate weddings and special occasions. Open Monday to Sunday Lunch & Dinner & in between. Fully airconditioned for hot summer days.Outside area for smokers.
Reviewed June 19, 2016 via mobile

La Pentola is our all time favourite restaurant in Pretoria. We love the good food at reasonable prices and the relaxed atmosphere. We had Father's day lunch and unfortunately we were a little disappointed. We loved the starters. Butternut soup was very good as was the lamb kidneys in fillo. The haloumi was a bit rubbery. For mains we chose Victory chicken which was an incredible tasty dish but the chicken was dry and overcooked but cooked well this will certainly be a great dish.We also had Sole with a lemon butter sauce. The fish tasted like water and was not at all up to standard. The brandy and date tart was out of this world and so was the rest of our desserts. Maybe the staff is not used to work on Sundays and the food was pre- prepared but it was not up to La Pentola standards.

1  Thank P33t

Reviewed June 19, 2016

As a self-confessed foodie we often find the best restaurants are a bit formal and "uptight". NOT SO at La Pentola. Amazing food, great service, amazing food, relaxed setting, amazing food, wonderful wine...and did we mention the amazing food? Snails wrapped in bacon? Yes please. See you again as soon as we can.

1  Thank 205marinet
Reviewed June 16, 2016 via mobile

We chose la Pentola for a venue to celebrate the completion of a large project at work. They were willing to accommodate 43 people and prepared a set menu with 3 courses for us.

Starters were served Buffett style on the tables. Mussels, chicken livers, hot bread with salmon pate and a green salad was fantastic.

Mains included 5 choices. My sole was fantastic but others at my table were a bit disappointed with their steaks being over-cooked. I think this was because it took very long to serve the main course, something to be expected when in such a large group.

The 2 desserts finished off an enjoyable afternoon. Good food, just a pity it took so long.

1  Thank Joeboy69
Reviewed June 9, 2016

Mario (the chef) is a legend in my book. He genuinely knows how to cook ostrich 'rare' as opposed to medium-rare, or under-cooked (so often restaurants have cooks, not chefs, and there is a big difference). The food is cooked fresh (made to order, so if you require an ingrediant left out, such as chilli peppers, this can be achieved).
The hosts and wait-staff are friendly and attentive, but know when to leave you to enjoy the fabulous food. My family and I have eaten there about 4 times, and when we have visitors, we take them too.

2  Thank Sally A
Reviewed June 5, 2016

I had a business meeting and was invited to La Pentola Restaurant in Soutpansberg road. I was pleasantly surprised. Old world charm awaited me. I was early and went in and sat down. The staff cared for me, but in the same time respected my privacy and never made a nuisance of themselves.
The décor is traditional and I loved the fresh flowers and cloth serviettes (see pictures). They have “special” lunch combinations for a VERY affordable price. You can choose from a list and make a combo off a starter and a main or a main and a dessert. Then the waiter came to explain the specialties of the day and we were all hooked on that. I had Whiskey Hog with mustard served with a potato croquette, green beans and carrots. My one colleague had the chicken dish of the day and the other the sole. Both of them were just as impressed as I was. Definitely worth a visit.

1  Thank Drina2015