“Crawdaddys Brooklyn, Pretoria, SA”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of La Pentola

La Pentola
Ranked #29 of 680 Restaurants in Pretoria
Cuisines: European, Fusion
Good for: Romantic, Large groups, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Brunch, Late Night, Lunch, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: La Pentola established in 1995 is the perfect venue for executive chef/owner Shane Sauvage's authentic fusion cuisine. The atmosphere is cozy, romantic and relaxed. All food is prepared to order, using only the very best quality ingredients, real butter, fresh cream and fresh herbs.Yes absolutely no MSG! The menu by internationally renowned executive Chef/ Patron & award winning author Shane Sauvage,comprises of a large variety of fresh seafood (Mozambique Style Prawns, free range cuts of beef (KWV Fillet, hand made pasta, exotic game dishes, a great selection of vegetarian fare (Aztec Mushrooms) and a decadent selection of in-house deserts (Chocolate Terrine). La Pentola offers a Diamond award wine list with a large variety of local and international wines. We are an A la Carte restaurant that also caters for corporate functions, intimate weddings and special occasions. Open Monday to Sunday Lunch & Dinner.
London, United Kingdom
“Crawdaddys Brooklyn, Pretoria, SA”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 30, 2009

Great place for simple well-cooked seafood and fish. The service was excellent and the staff could not have been friendlier.

Definitely a good place for an informal, fun night out.

Pilanesberg National Park, South Africa
“Up in flames.....”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 30, 2009

La Pentola used to be one of my fave restaurants...till tonight that is. I don't believe I'll ever go there again, except maybe with a gun to my head. The list of no no's add up to about 20, i'll only mention some of them. I go eat out to enjoy myself, and when service is so bad, I just cannot do that.

We didn't book. We were planning to go elsewhere, but that restaurant have closed down. So we arrived 8.40 pm, late for winter. On arrival we were quickly taken to a table that wasn't ready. While the staff that was standing around when we got there cleared the table, I turned to a 4 seater to sit there instead, only to be told I can't sit there as it is booked. This is when I should have walked out. Only 4 other tables were occupied (non smoking) and interestingly enough, no one arrived after us.
So we were asked what we would like to drink. We asked for the wine list and it was brought along with the menus, after which it took about 18 minutes to come around again. In the meantime my partner has opened the bottle of water on the table. The waitress had a trainee shadowing her, but I believe she, our waitress, should have been trained first. I asked for glenfiddich & got a "I'll see if we have it" answer. Then on second thought she said they had it, and brought it reasonably fast.
Then we were left for about 25 minutes.
We ordered a bottle of wine when we ordered the meal. After about 15 minutes I tried to catch any staff members attention, but this was just not possible. They would walk though, but not look at any table. Now the guys next to us got their food about 5 minutes after we ordered and the 1st guy had finished eating by the time I got hold of the waitress. I kindly told her that it is about 22 minutes since we ordered the wine, but it was more like 29 min. She and her shadow forgot....by now I was really ticked off. In hindsight, I should have left then. 4 waiters plus 1 shadow and about 8 tables - 3 in the smoking section..... they were really busy! The service used to be superb, and now it is atrocious.
Anyway, got the wine. There was no wine glasses on our table (water), so it was a bit of a scurry. It wasn't cold enough for my partner and we were offered ice to dump in the wine - heresy. An Ice bucket wasn't offered, though 2 other tables had them. Maybe La P are down to 2.... Maybe I should have just made a scene by then. Or just walked out.......
Ok, can it get worse? Heck yes. We get our food. I had warthog and my partner duck. The presentation was excellent. I have a taste and the warthog is soft & tasty. Then bite my carrot and it's cold. I absolutely hate cold food, but the rest was hot. I have a bite from my partner, and her food is cold, except the bit under the pear. We consider getting someone and asking them to put the food in the microwave. But as the staff all seem to have tunnel vision I consider getting up, taking the food to the kitchen, and put it in the microwave myself. But by now I just want to get the meal over & done with and go home, so I just polish my food and keep my mouth shut...
Now this is where I really get upset with South African restaurants - the staff tried to take my plate, but my partner is still eating her even colder by now duck - not once but twice. It is just not cricket.... They also did it with the 4 guys next to us 20 min before, first 2 plates, then 1, putting pressure on the slow guy to hurry up.
Ok now deserts, no tx, but come back in 10 for coffee. And the waitress was bang on time. Got the expresso & cafe latte (yes, I do drink it after 11h00, and it was very good) fast-ish, got the bill for R425,88, paid R450 meaning to leave the balance as a tip, but didn't get the change. I did take the bill though...On hindsight again, I shouldn't have tipped at all, as the service was terrible - it rates as one of the 10 worst I've had ever. Funnily enough, on presentation of the bill we got the guest comment book. I didn't even look at it but my partner saw that there was a guy same night she knew from the German Embassy that left a "good food, slow service" comment :) He might have had the table we had....maybe it's the table that is hexed and not the service. My chair was uneven. It also ticked me off to the extent that I looked if the little rubbers were there, and when they were, moving my chair around till I was halfway in the isle, where it was rocksteady. The tiles under my chair was/is uneven...
Right, now we have wine and water left, and we are still chatting, but somehow with our plates 2 of our glasses went. So I drink water and my partner wine. Then the manager appeared 15 min after we paid, offering us desserts. I answered that he should know that we have already paid...and he should.
To end our evening at 11.20pm, there was a cloud of smoke coming our way from the kitchen. Apparently there was a problem with the stove and they lit an anthracite stove, but packed it too dense. This might explain why the lights sometimes dimmed a bit at times during our visit and why some of our food was cold. Anyway, we fled, and we won't be back. And neither will our friends.... I feel it is totally overpriced for what it offers.
A last comment, the owner/chef wasn't there, and I believe the slack staff attitude stems from that. What a pity - it used to be a great place.

2 Thank pirate99
A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“Always a great experience - this unprententious restaurant is a 'must vist'”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 11, 2009

Always a great experience - this unprententious restaurant is a 'must vist'

Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
Sandton, South Africa
“Have the best Wine / Food combinations”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 8, 2008

Have the best Wine / Food combinations

pretoria
“Slow service and food not so good as they say”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 31, 2008

The environment is perfect. One of the most cozy places I've been. BUT in a place like this, you expect the best food experience.

The service was slow, really slow... and when the food arrived, it was not good at all... none of the 4 people in table liked that much of their food.

And to finish the bad experience, they offered a lemon ice cream or something like this... Ugghhhh... prefer not remembering.

1 Thank Brazil_In_Pretoria