“Friendly Management”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Pretoria
1322 Backpackers International
Ranked #10 of 111 Specialty Lodging in Pretoria
Reviewed March 4, 2010

I travelled from Durban to Pretoria to visit my girlfriend who's studying at Pretoria University and I stayed for 2 nights at this hostel. Tim and Monique were very friendly, even my girlfriend who just visited me while I was staying there felt welcome. It's a great place also to meet people and make friends. I will definately go there again.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled solo

Reviewed December 30, 2009

if you are heading this way i recomend you you give this hostel a try, your hosts Tim and Monique are very freindly and give excelent advice on what to do and what not to do .when your there if they offer to do any kind of catering for you take advantage of this because the food is superb and it also offers great value for money

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 29, 2009

Over 20 years I pass by this youth-hostel: with a lot of pleasure and I will still come back! Even as an "old timer" I feel at home. Excellent price/quality ratio. Tim and Monique are very helpfull and considering, of course presuming that you know your not in a Hilton Hotel! The parking is a puzzle sometimes but your car is SAFE! Important in South-Africa, isn't it? Well done for the managers and hope they keep it up for the coming 20 years! See you soon, Hugo from Botswana/Belgium.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed September 18, 2009

I thoroughly enjoyed my stay here. I knew what I was getting so my expectations were fair. The staff were accomodating and became friends. Other guests also provided great fun and the atmosphere is warm and cosy. For the money this place is and absolute gem. the local area is safe and there is plenty to do. You would be silly to miss this. Also, the dog, Shucmacher is worth the visit alone!

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed July 30, 2009

I am going to Pretoria for my granny's 80th birthday and shopped around for accomodation for two nights 1322 were the promptest and best priced. The time lapse between my booking and the confirmation already means a lot. I am really looking forward to our stay and from the reviews I have read I am sure it going to be great. I will bring a piece of bread for your hungry ex unsatisfied customer maybe if it came from a different region it would help. It sounds like a pleasant place. c u tomorrow
Gabby Stoltz

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 13, 2009

I was staying in a wood house. It is so clod in winter. When you stay long, there is no cleaning.

Forget about the breakfast, it is nothing. They say they give bread, but most of the time they do not wake up to put the bread available for people!!

I did not like the staff, the way to manage the car parking is a nightmare. They are even reluctant to give the code for the gate!! Each time you want to go in and out, you have to ask the tenant to open the gate.

I am runner so I run early morning before work. When I say i need to go out to run at 6h30, the owner/manager (?) replied:

I will not wake up just for you to run, run in the garden...

Ok do not do this job if you have this kind of way man.

Only one good thing, the small dog is very nice

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled on business
1  Thank jbeauvil
bpackers0083, Manager at 1322 Backpackers International, responded to this reviewResponded July 23, 2009

Thank you for such a gracious review. We have to admit, we were so pleased when this guest arrived, without pre-booking, and, after inspecting the room, decided to stay with us. Imagine our delight when he extended by 4 nights the following day, making the total length of his stay 5 nights! Wonderful! To think he did this even though the room was so clod (sic). The comforter, blanket and heater in the room are so obviously insufficient, shame he never asked for an extra blanket which are always available.
We must also say that this guest was so polite, unselfish, sociable and considerate to both ourselves and our other guests, all of whom had lovely things to say about him.
He seemed to view our hostel as a 5 star hotel and that is of course such a compliment to us. Obviously, there are one or two things which as a 5 star hotel he seemed to think were a little below par but, we promise we will strive with every last breath to attain the goals he has so kindly set us. As a hostel we had been thinking that we should cater for the backpacking industry, but of course we should be thinking more of all those people who come here for work expecting their little luxuries they miss from home but not wanting to pay more than budget prices. We will see if we can find a solution, bread and water only for the staff every day will be considered and voted on.
To think we got up at 3am one morning to allow him to leave without even receiving a thank you and he still writes such a wonderful review. Single lane parking is so awful, and we understand it must be such a nightmare for our guests when so often we take their keys and move their cars for them in the evenings and the mornings so they can sleep. We can only get in about 12 cars so its not much trouble for us really but, for them - we are sure so many must have sleepless nights thinking about it and for this we can only apologise with all our hearts. We must also remember to give everyone the code for the gate which can only improve security in what is a relatively dangerous country. We will also be considering setting our alarm for 6am and maybe only getting 3 hours sleep every night to make sure those people who want to go jogging, walking or whatever can do so. After all, it is only one hour earlier than we get up now to put out the free bread and jams for toast (with the free tea/coffee available all day) which we do every day at the promised time of 7am. Of course, we would love to give everyone the choice of a fully cooked, buffet or continental breakfast but as a hostel we do have one or two small budgetary concerns - however, we promise we will review this and maybe put our prices up 50% to cover it. What a good idea, thank you so much. The only bad thing we can say is that sadly this guest had to leave us eventually, how we all wish he would return again to brighten up all our lives with his cheery spirit and thoughtfulness. Thanks again so much for the wonderful review which means all the more to us because it was written by such a special person.

Reviewed June 30, 2009

one of the best hostel experiences i've had in many years of travelling. the key is the effort made to make you feel totally at home and 'part of the family' thanks tim and monique for a great stay. see you next time

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled with friends