“Walking to the Passenger Rail Station ”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Pretoria
1322 Backpackers International
Secunda, South Africa
“Walking to the Passenger Rail Station ”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 19, 2013 via mobile

An excellent budget friendly accommodation. Very helpful staff, secure parking, use of great kitchen.
We have stayed here a few times as a couple and enjoy returning . Central location on the edge of Hatfield 15 min walk to the Gautrain rail station means that Loftus Stadium and Johannesburg Santon CBD or Rosebank are accessible.

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Glasgow, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 17, 2013

We stayed here in August 2013 and were surprised at the quality of our accommodation- opting for a standard double with shared bathroom, we felt secure and looked after by the owners and staff and their very friendly dog/bear. Tours can easily be arranged from here, many at discounted prices. The complimentary Breads & Spreads breakfast filled us up for most of the day and free tea and coffee throughout was most welcome. With several supermarkets within walking distance, the kitchen and braai facilities were handy. Laundry is done by the load rather than by weight; excellent if you have accumulated a backlog of grubby attire. 10 min walk from Hatfield Station.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 12, 2013

I ended up staying here after ridding the Shosholoza train which arrived at Park Town 8 hours after it was meant to, meaning it was dusk when we got there. That being the case I didn't really want to leave the train station so I ended up deciding my best bet would be to use the Gautrain to my advantage. I found this hostel was close to Hatfield Station so, knowing nothing else about the suburb, I decided to go with it.

As it was late I decided to ring before I arrived (unusual for me, but given the circumstances...) and luckily they had plenty of space for the time I needed. I asked if I could walk from the station to the backpackers, the lady who took my call advised that it was doable but a taxi might be a better option given it was dark. Being short on money and having already been through some tougher situations I decided to brave it. I was tired and walked there as quickly as I could with no incident.

Because the train had arrived late I didn't have time to draw any money so I didn't have enough cash to cover the cost. The lady who ran the establishment (I'm so sorry I've forgotten your name, you went on Holidays the next day so I only saw you once) was very understanding and said I could pay the bill the next day. She showed me where the kitchens, tv room, bathrooms and finally my dorm were before I put my gear away and settled at the bar. The bar area is quite nice (you can smoke at the bar!!!!!) expanding out to a covered braii area with plenty of table room. The bar staff will happily wet your whistle with there being a tab system in place and they'll even order you a meal.

All the facilities i found to be very clean and tidy. The internet was the best I found in Africa with the speeds allowing for more then one user to be on it at a time. The suburb as I found out over the coming days is home to a University and is very much party central. During my time there they blocked off the main streets and had a big street party which was a nice surprise. I found I had no trouble walking home each night at silly hours (2/3/4am) and would advise those worried about the security of Johannesburg to consider just getting the Guatrain to Hatfield.

Overall I found this place to be very pleasant and laid back, weren't heaps of travelers there but mostly foreign students/academics studying at the local university which was quite a nice change of pace. Would recommend to all!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank djkillerlamb
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 27, 2013

This hostel is a converted house on a nice tree-lined street in Hatfield. The hostel has good hot showers, a pool, a bar, wifi (honesty system), free tea, coffee and toast for breakfast and a braai area. The rooms in the stone building at the end of the garden are small but nicely decorated and quiet. The bars, restaurants and Hatfield shopping mall are about a ten minute walk away and several consulates are also only a short walk away. The family that run it are very friendly and helpful. The list of rules posted about the place are a bit militant but then they really shouldn't have to remind people not to defecate in the showers!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Hasselt, Belgium
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 9, 2013

Good location, close to the safe Hatfield-Gautrain station, so a good start or endpoint for BAZbus- travellers and others!
Very helpful crew and clean rooms & kitchen, cosy bar.
Quite surrounding, good for relaxation!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Munich, Germany
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 4, 2013

The hostel is located in Hatfield, which is probably one of the nicest areas in Pretoria and Joburg. The doubles/chalets are great value for less than 300, a bit tiny but you'll have enough space. They provide free breakfast, have a pool, a clean and well-equipped kitchen plus a really cozy common area in the garden. It would be nice to have free wifi, but unfortunately this is only the case in approx 50% of the hostels in South Africa. Would defintiely recommend it.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank EyelessView
Destin, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 20, 2012

1322 is a classic backpacker's hostel. It is clean, safe and well run. Breakfast is standard. Nice lounge, bar and the outdoor areas are exceptional. Location is good. The restaurants and shops of Hatfield are a short walk away.

1322 has the ambiance of a traditional hostel. Interesting crowd of people. Excellent management. The hostel has good services - laundry, trip planning advice.

Room Tip: The singles are a bit small but very comfortable.