“The best zoo in the world”

National Zoological Gardens of South Africa
Ranked #12 of 126 things to do in Pretoria
More attraction details
Owner description: The large cages at this renowned zoo are home to an expansive collection of animals from all over the world.
Reviewed February 22, 2014

Me and my wife have visited many zoos around the world but we still think that the one in Pretoria is probably the best one.
Great variety of animals and large "natural" cages which hopefully make it cozier for the animals.

You will need to spend a full day here to really enjoy it and watch the beautiful animals closely.

Worth a trip to Pretoria from Joburg just for it!

All reviews
in 8 reviews
"white tiger"
"large zoo"
in 6 reviews
"large variety of animals"
"night tour"
in 10 reviews
"aquarium"
in 50 reviews

Reviewed February 6, 2014

I visited the zoo a few days ago and I was extremely pleased by the friendliness of the staff, the cleanliness of the grounds and the general maintenance being carried out.

However, there were several sights that were shocking to say the least. Firstly, let me start by saying that I don't accuse any particular person or group at all as I simply don't have the facts. But when I see sights such as this one, it quite frankly makes me sick.

I remember a time not too long ago when there were several Hippo's in the Hippo pools. The water was clean and flowing, and the Hippo's were as happy as captive Hippo's could be (if that's possible??).

This is the sight I saw last week. Dams empty, 1 Hippo in the distance standing in filthy stagnant water. No flow from the waterfall even reaching the far dam!!!

I understand that budgets are tight and funds don't always end up where they are needed, but the fact of the matter is if the animals cannot be cared for properly, then they need to be relocated to a reserve where they can be cared for properly.

1  Thank David G
Reviewed January 27, 2014

Went with the family to the zoo,my five year old love and the rest of family enjoyed the walking and seeing most of the animals
The cable car was fun,not enough golf carts not enough toilets .
In general it is a great days outing ,week ends are busy parking can be a problem so go early.thanks

1  Thank krugerandmore
Reviewed January 16, 2014

Thought we would pass an hour or so at the zoo How wrong was we we took a golf cart ride for four and a half hours and could of gone on to see more was amazing.

1  Thank Eccburn
See more reviews
Reviewed January 2, 2014

What a fantastic way to start 2014, the zoo. Ample secure parking for visitors at a minimal fee. The entrace fee was well worth the outing. From google earth the zoo does not look that big but don't be fooled, so wear your most comfortable shoes. Be prepared to walk alot. I suggest bringing extra water as the water points is far apart and not clearly marked. The food we bought at a vender was not expensive, but the quality was also not up to scratch. Bring your own picnic basket, lots of well maintained grass to enjoy lunch. Be sure to go to the aquarium, interesting fish life on display. All and all a great day.

1  Thank WBronkhorst