“What happened?”

Cuisines: Asian, Chinese, Sushi, Thai
Johannesburg, South Africa
“What happened?”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 5, 2013 via mobile

Must say that Simply Asia has always been my favorite Asian food chain in South Africa. I've even at many of their branches and had a great meal not so long ago in the Cavendish, Cape Town branch. I arrived on a not so busy Saturday evening and selected a table outside.

Unusual start to the evening was that I struggled to get anyone to notice that I had even sat down but eventually got my menu and was promptly served my drink and ordered a 606 hot, one of my firm favorites. After 25 minutes my drink was finished and no food had arrived. Again struggled to get some attention even though the manager had based himself at the cash register in easy view of all customers. After 35 minutes I managed to find my waiter and asked about my food. No explanation offered about when it would be coming so I advised that I'm willing to wait another five minutes but would then leave and cancel the order. The waiter advised the manager who did not seem interested or move from behind the cash register. Nothing happened within the next five minutes so i paid for my drink and left. In all this time the manager did not leave his cash register station and move outside where he might have noticed that several tables were waiting to be served and he could have offered an explanation as to why the food service was extremely slow.

Recommendation is to avoid the Brooklyn branch for now and try again in a few months time. Hopefully things will improve. Would be unfortunate if one branch negatively affects the overall Simply Asia brand as their food is still a firm favorit of mine.

Pretoria, Gauteng, South Africa
“What happened, did someone shoot the chef? Simply Asia or Simply dead!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 23, 2012

well being a local in Pretoria, we often look at a quick light Thai meal with a glass of wine or a beer and have frequented this restaurant Simply Asia, often.

So this must be about the 30th time I have been here. In the beginning brilliant, slipped a bit, then new management (maybe owners, not too sure) and they seemed to come back, with great flavours, super Thai curries, rice, noodles- you name it, all delicious flavours, well presented and there was never a time that we would mind sharing.

Often we would call our family to come join us for a quick bite - and the plates were cleaned.
Sitting outside on the street was great, until recently.

We had noticed that the place seemed more empty and had not visited for over 2 months being away often and decided to give it a go last Friday - it was hot and balmy as Pretoria can be and sitting under the stars was a great idea.

So ordered a water and beer to find both glasses cracked and took forever to get the waiter back, but when we did he replaced them quickly.

We ordered the favourite (309), Thai chicken with rice, cashews and medium curry and a usual vegetarian Thai Medium Green curry.

Took forever to arrive, was cold and the bamboo shoots tasted like soap.

The curry was watered, rice stodgy and flavours all over the place and totally inedible.
My wife, pushed hers aside and after a second bite, and only the second time in my life, I pushed the dish aside and could not eat it.

the waiter never queried why we left the food untouched, brought our bill(in fact I had to go to the counter to ask for it) - told the manager the food was terrible and he ignored us and we left.

Simply Asia! no Simply dead! - Mores the pity!!!!!

• Visited November 2012