Illyria House
  • Pool
  • Restaurant
$78
HIExpress.com
Morning Star Express Hotel(Pretoria)(Great Value!)
$63
Agoda.com
$144
$140
$76
All reviewshigh teaclassical musicbygone eraboutique hotelheated swimming poolwine cellarfull body massagerovos raila true gemattention to detailan unforgettable experiencelike royaltycape townbreakfast and dinnersouth africaspa facilitiesblue train
Reviewed May 15, 2014

As part of a 10 night trip to SA, my husband and I recently (30/04/14) needed to stay in Pretoria for 1 night after a trip on the wonderful Rovos Rail before flying on to a Safari.

We asked Sandy at Rovos Rail if she could recommend anywhere and she gave us 3 choices. Following a bit of research we plumped for Illyria House.

The hotel is a 5 minute taxi ride from Pretoria station. At first the area seemed a little “built up” but when we actually turned into the gate of the hotel, it was like a different world.

We were greeted by Andrew and Johannes (Uncle Joe) who took our cases and us up to our room. We had booked the Catharina Suite which was absolutely gorgeous, complete with Marble bathroom, kitchen and our own balcony with loungers and dining area.

However the room was nothing compared with the rest of the hotel. When we walked from our suite through the various rooms of the hotel, each was beautifully decorated and unique in its own way, full of antiques and unusual ornaments and furnishing. The outside dining area was set at the top of a long rolling garden which then led on to another amazing hidden area which include an oriental garden / hideaway, swimming pool and a group of white “house” ducks.

The food, service, location and whole experience at Illyria was wonderful, but it was the staff who really made our all too short stay even more wonderful. Both Andrew and particularly Uncle Joe who looked after us most of the time were superb and so happy and friendly, but all of the staff who when we left all came outside to say goodbye with a traditional song, were great.

Illyria House really was a wonderful surprise, a highlight of our holiday and we would thoroughly recommend it for anyone wanting to stay in Pretoria.

Room Tip: Doubtless all the rooms are lovely, but we had the Catharina Suite which is also known as the Honeymoon Suite and it was superb
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
10  Thank AntEd
Reviewed May 7, 2014

We celebrated my daughter's birthday at Illyria today and it was such a special blissful day, it will certainly be embedded in our hearts forever. We had a mommy and daughter hot stone massage, followed by a petit high tea. The food and service was exceptional and the staff was absolutely amazing. My daughter was treated like a princess and the stars in her eyes made it worth every penny. Thank you for, once again, an absolutely fantastic experience. We cannot wait for our next visit!

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled with family
6  Thank GermaB
Reviewed April 29, 2014 via mobile

This was our second visit to Illyria House. Some recent reviews have left us perplexed.
Illyria House is very special. It is not like other hotels and guest houses we have stayed at. The house is full of antiques and - yes - it needs a bit of TLC. It is living history with some old fittings and so you have to make allowances.
The gardens are beautiful, the house is wonderful, the staff are just lovely, the food and wine are incidental but are very good. Many things are quaint, quirky and eccentric (like a wonderful private dining room that only holds 2 people).
Please make allowances, give yourself time and immerse yourself in Illyria!
The main house rooms with terrace and balcony are the pick (Salome is first choice for us) so always specify when booking.
In summary - there is nowhere we have found that quite has the magic of Illyria House.

Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
7  Thank pjk55017
Reviewed March 30, 2014

Absolutely Astonishing Wedding Experience. World Class fit for a King - The Service, Personal Touches and Most unique Venue is unrivaled. I cannot thank you enough for creating and executing the most wonderful day of my life. I am forever grateful. Already booked another event. I even trusted staff with over R200 000 's valuables in my room! Staff at Illyria House becomes your friends. Ask for Johannes for best personal butler service I ever experienced! And he is so funny aswell!!! NOT 5 Star but 7 STAR!!!! I am overwhelmed by guests calling me to ask If I would be offended if they also use the venue in Future! No Other venue could match their low quote not could the match the elegant royalty like Venue. Everything in Illyria House is though of. The Lobster was superior. You wait longer for your meal but it is as fresh as home cooking can be. The owner is hands on and will bend over backward for you! THANK YOU ILLYRIA HOUSE!

Room Tip: Any room is royalty! each one unique! Will add photos as soon as we receive them from photographers.
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
6  Thank CHTM3003
Reviewed March 29, 2014

No wonder it boasts a guest-list that includes Nelson Mandela and European royalty

I wish that I could claim that I am used to the opulence and grandeur of what must be one of the most singular places in the world. My wife and mother celebrate their birthdays on the same day and Illyria agreed to host the event for us.

The hotel paid special attention to our every need, arranged for South Africa's foremost classical pianist to do a private recital and had what must have been an army of white gloved servers to tend to our guests.

A truly fantastic venue, with food that Escoffier's mother would love

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family