“Great Room After Upgrade”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Manhattan Hotel

Manhattan Hotel
Ranked #22 of 72 Hotels in Pretoria
capetown
“Great Room After Upgrade”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 10, 2014

The hotel has amazing decor however you do feel like you in a prison if you stay in a standard room. The standard rooms are very small. I upgraded to a executive suite and had all the space in the world. Staff are friendly , location is great & the free services does help the budget , would stay again just not in a standard room.

Room Tip: Upgrade from standard rooms , its very small
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Nico R, Owner at Manhattan Hotel, responded to this review, November 24, 2014
Thank you very much for the kind words and feedback, we really appreciate it.

Thank you for staying at the Manhattan Hotel, we look forward to welcome you back at the Manhattan Hotel in the near future.

Kind regards,
Nico Rowan
Managing Director

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Pretoria, South Africa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 29, 2014

The Manhattan Hotel is such a stunning hotel in Pretoria. The hotel promises their guests five star service even though they are only a three star hotel, even though the hotel also looks like a five star hotel. The beautiful decor and atmosphere is so unexpected as my expectations of a three star hotel was completely exceeded and more. The hotel is stunning and very stylish. You feel as if you could be in Manhattan New York. The food great and LOTS to choose from. Not sure how the hotel gets all their employees to be so attentive, caring and will to go the extra mile, but that was really outstanding. I will definitely be back when I visit Pretoria and will recommend the Manhattan Hotel to anyone I know will need a hotel in Pretoria when they travel. Kind regards, NAD

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
3 Thank NADELAC
Nico R, Owner at Manhattan Hotel, responded to this review, November 24, 2014
Thank you very much for the kind words and feedback, we really appreciate it.

Kind regards,
Nico Rowan
Managing Director
Sydney, Australia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 29, 2014

I stayed here because of it's location to Pretoria Train Station as I had to be awake early since I was catching the Blue Train early Monday morning.

I was exceptionally disappointed with the hotel.
From the moment I walked in until the moment I signed out, I felt like I was being ignored or treated like a second-rate guest...and that's the times I actually received any help.

I have travelled to a few locations so when my key card refused to work one, two, three, FOUR times then I knew there was an issue with the card and not with me yet the staff kept accusing me of placing my card too close to my cell phone.

I was told to sign the transaction slip even though it stated that NO CARDHOLDER SIGNATURE WAS REQUIRED ...so I enquired about it, the response: Just do it, everyone has too.

There was no room service menu in the room, then when I called the restaurant to ask what was on the menu, I was read the entire menu...I asked if they had something I could read since I cannot remember everything, the response: We don't do that.

When I received my food, most of it was cold and tasteless.
As I was tired and it was late, I decided not to complain, this is something I regret.

When checking in, questions were barked at me, like a military commander--but ruder.
Name. Address. Email. How many nights.

When I was asked to spell my email address, it was spelt incorrectly.
Even after spelling it phonetically, they still managed to spell it incorrectly.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank John G
Pretoria, South Africa
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2014

The Manhattan Hotel Pretoria is as close to the CBD of Pretoria as you can get without being in the cold heart of the business district itself. The proximity of the hotel to the Gautrain Station is a huge plus factor and without mentioning that they also have a shuttle service from the station will be an injustice.

Do not be fooled by the surroundings of the Manhattan Hotel as you first need to step into the foyer and experience their hospitality and the ambiance of their lounges. It is not your typical 3 star hotel as their services surpasses their star rating. The Hotel had a very recent upgrade and they are still continuing that on a continuous basis.

The rooms are very spacious and comfortable with all the necessary trimmings. Their boardroom and conference facilities are of a high standard.

What impressed me was the free wireless internet and then for me the best of all was the elaborate and definitely very scrumptious buffet. I have not seen the likes of this in a 3 star hotel.

Although I have not utilized their spa I did have a look at it and it is of high standard and very intimate with 2 lovely ladies.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the street are less preferable due to the trafffic noise that does seep through a bit.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank Adrianos888
Vienna, Austria
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 9, 2014 via mobile

This hotel is great! If you don't mind the following:

- Old windows that seemingly amplify street noise to an unbearable level

- Music played loudly in the hallways starting around 05:45. Yes, 05:45 in the morning. No reason to be up that early? Better hope there's not a speaker outside your door!

- Proximity to the train station... And nothing else.

- A restaurant and room service that close at 21:30. Hope you're not jet-lagged and hungry outside the hours they're willing to serve you. You should probably just try to go back to sleep since you'll be woken up at 05:45!

- A shower that will, without any warning or transition period, become extremely hot and leave you with superficial burns on your arms as you frantically try to adjust the temperature.

In fairness, the restaurant is good and affordable (if a bit repetitive after a few days). The staff is also very friendly, especially at the bar/restaurant. The front desk staff is usually distracted talking to their friends who are hanging out with them. The rooms are clean.

In conclusion, pack some ear plugs, aloe vera, & trail mix, and enjoy your stay in Pretoria!

Oh, and if you book a transfer from the airport, make sure they don't mysteriously book it 2 days after your check-in. It'd suck to have to wait 2 hours for them to show up. Hypothetically, of course.

Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
New Delhi, Delhi, India
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 13, 2013

The stay here was comfortable and the staff were exteremely courteous. The food however was at best average. Hotel amenities such as the gymnasium were pretty basic. The hotel provided a shuttle service to the nearest mall and station which came in quite handy.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Perth, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 20, 2013

A short walk from Gautrain. I arrived early on a Sunday morning. One of the security guides didn't want me to walk to the hotel alone so she accompanied me (and carried my bag). A nice touch as the area is a bit "seedy" at that time of day.
Although I was so early I was given an immediate check in.
The room was fine for my needs and there are no complaints at all.
It is actually walking distance to the main station for me to catch the Blue Train. I didn't realise and the hotel provided a free shuttle for me.
It's a business hotel and perfect for the purpose of using the trains..

Room Tip: The bar is a smokers delight! Difficult to get service in the other area.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo